Our DNA Breed Test Results are Back!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Well it does look like they have a relationship with the AKC for testing, so they probably are not some fly by night company. I am just wondering why a photo would be necessary, doesn't seem germaine to DNA testing. Is there a page on their site that specifically says you have to submit a photo to this company? I know some of you have seen it.

Photo NOT Required

A photo is NOT required to do the DNA test... nor is blood for that matter.

I think the confusion is because MafiaPrincess read the part on their web site about instructions for sending a photo without reading all of the information about submitting a test. Here's what I know from doing the test and from talking to the company via email and phone several times in the process.

You CAN send a photo if you want it to be displayed on the DNA certificate that you receive with the results. A PHOTO IS NOT REQUIRED. The photo is submitted online, and goes to a completely different department (and office location) from the lab. The lab technicians never see the photograph, IF you choose to send one. For that matter, the lab technicians never see the submitters name or the dog name. They only get the testing kit number and sample, nothing more.

The testing kit number is what ties everything together. The clerks who key in the information upon receipt track the processing of the sample and certificate development soley by the testing kit number. The lab technicians and verifyers only see the kit number and sample. The certificate developer only sees the owner name, kit number, dog name and results.

There is no bloodletting involved. I'm sorry that MafiaPrincess's friend and AussieRed might have gotten taken by an irreputable company. No blood sample is required for DNA testing -- every cell has DNA, not just blood cells -- just like human DNA. The test that I did for Gomer & Opie required a simple cheek swab, like you see on the CSI shows.

I see three bottom lines here:
  • Nobody is forcing anybody to have a DNA test done - it's completely your choice. If you think it's a farce, then don't do it. If you think it might be beneficial to know your dog's background, then go for it.
  • EVERY breed of dog is a mix of more than one dog breed. (Sorry, even perfect Tosca Collie girl... according to the Collie Breed Club of Canada web site, American Collies are descendents of Scotch Sheepdogs, Irish Setters and Bans.)
  • The lab where I had this done has been doing DNA tests on dogs and cattle since 1996. The do hundreds of thousands of DNA tests every year. They just haven't been doing it for the general public and you had to pay more to go through a veterinarian. The test uses the AKC champion purebred DNA as the control group for the breeds that have been verified -- and they are adding additional breeds as they can be verified.

Waving back at ToscasMom...

Makes for a great discussion, in any case. Not like I'm going to give Opie back because he has Chihuahua and Poodle in his past... or Gomer because he has some Whippet and Pug.

:)
Dogmom

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
That "disreputable company" is the same one you used eh..

I still think there's something not right going on, even if a photo isn't required. That or the science really isn't theres yet and it shouldn't be being offered to the public.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
EVERY breed of dog is a mix of more than one dog breed. (Sorry, even perfect Tosca Collie girl...
Gasp!:yikes: :yikes: I hope she hasn't read this!

Actually, I remember reading somewhere that somewhere along the lines they filtered Borzoi in there to get the anteater nose.

Members online