Proper order for dog titles?

Sekah

The Monster.
What's the general rule of thumb for the order of dog sport titles?

Do all championships go before a dog's name? Even things like ATCH, ARCHX, etc? What about the big kennel club sports? And what about club sports like AAC and NAFA? And where to certificates, etc fall? What role does when your dog achieved the title play in its placement?

What about when you achieve a new title of a higher rank than an already existing one? Like if you get a AADC and you already have an ADC? What's the rule about new titles replacing old?

Thanks!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
New titles replace old. No CD, CDX or ADC, AADC.

AKC has an 'order' people often use think it's ob, rally then agility.. but I don't play CKC or AKC.

OTCHs, MACHs, And any other championship precede names.

Certificates go at the very end of a name as they are the 'least' prestigious.

I list the rest of the titles in order gotten for my guys, but then replace as they get higher levels.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I have heard/been told to put the titles in the back of your dogs name by order of how old the club is. AKC titles would go before CPE titles (agility), certificates behind that.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yep, championships go before a dog's name. As far as AKC goes, the "older" stuff goes closer to the dogs name. So obedience titles are closer to the name than agility. And for some dumb reason rally gets grandfathered by obedience so also goes closer than agility.
Certificates or awards technically don't go in the dog's name though lots of people include them when they are unofficially writing the name (I put Auggie's CGC in with his name.) AKC is switching the CGC from an award to a title, so as of January 2013 it will be part of a dog's registered name (if you send them $20, LOL), but until that point it doesn't officially go in the name. So all of my title certs for Auggie don't have "CGC" listed anywhere. Not sure where they are going to stick CGC in the ranking of stuff, I would assume it would fall to the end because it's the most recent IIRC...
As far as when the dog got the title, it doesn't matter.

When you get a higher ranking title, you drop the old one. So like Auggie got his NAP and NJP, then when he got his OAP and OJP I dropped the novice titles and listed the open titles instead. Same goes for the advanced, then the masters titles. When your dog MACHs or PACHs you can axe the titles like MX and MXJ in favour of the MACH... except now they are giving people numbers after the master's titles as you continue to get multiples of the single Qs, so it would look like this:
MACH Doggy MX3 MXJ5

Also, with Auggie, his NAJ is from regular agility and his master's titles are from preferred, so he keeps the NAJ, but gets the higher preferred titles too. And even though the preferred titles are higher ranked, they go behind the novice regular title.

The nice thing about AKC is, if you log into your My AKC, they just spell it all out for you, LOL.

I think also as far as like non-"big registry" stuff goes, you would put it out further from the name... so say Auggie had flyball titles, I think he would be RN NAJ MXP MJP FD? That I'm not sure on. I kinda think it just depends on how you want to write it too. ;P

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
New titles replace old. No CD, CDX or ADC, AADC.
What about ASCA rally titles? There's the regular ttle (RN, RA, etc) and then each of those has X and C titles as well (RNX, RNC, etc) that don't technically override each other. :wall: If I list multiple X and C titles, Tyr's name won't fit on the entry form for long. :p

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Titles shouldn't go on entry forms..

ETA unless it's a catalogue listing at a trial.. but I don't play anything that prints catalogues.

Normal entries.. Most of the times it's my dog's call name on the entry not the registered names, though they are in the venue's database.

ETA2 as ASCA is not my venue. I'd replace like titles. RN, RA, RE, etc to replace each other.. same for RNX, RAX etc. As you cannot get the RAX without already having an RNX etc.

Last edited:

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Titles shouldn't go on entry forms..

ETA unless it's a catalogue listing at a trial.. but I don't play anything that prints catalogues.

Normal entries.. Most of the times it's my dog's call name on the entry not the registered names, though they are in the venue's database.
My entries always use the dog's registered name, and I've been out of the sport thing for a while until recently so titles haven't been an issue, but IIRC Ares' CD was listed on the entry when he was competing in open. I could be wrong. Although I don't actually plan on adding them all on Tyr's entry. I just add one so the secretaries quit asking me to fill out a form for a tracking number. *sigh*

Sekah

The Monster.
Thanks guys. I'm planning on getting Cohen started in flyball soon, and I wasn't too sure where NAFA titles might go. I guess after the CKC & AAC ones, but before the don't-really-matter certificates.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Bizarre system.

Mebbe...The regular titles are earned by qualifying, the X titles are earned by qualifying with scores over 195, the C titles are earned in the C class with scores over 190.

If your name can get 'too long' then that is weird for the venue of your choice.
Well, I could have given him a shorter name, but I really liked the one he has. :p

Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose RNX

Members online

No members online now.