Do you, would you like to live alone?

Live alone or share?

• Do you live by yourself and love it?

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Do you share a home with someone and love it?

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Do you live alone and wish you didn't?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you live with someone and want to escape?

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Unsure and want to go get pizza

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doberluv

Do you live alone? (meaning no other humans in the house) Do you like living alone? If you don't live alone, do you wish you did? Or wonder what it would be like...if you never did live alone?

Are you the type to get lonely easily and couldn't stand to be in a house day after day with only an occasional visitor?

What would you think are the pluses and minuses of living alone?

Or living with someone?

Who would you like to live with if you were to share a house with someone?

I have lived with people before...my family. The kids are all grown up. And I'm divorced. And I have to tell you. I LOVE living alone, having the whole house to myself, doing what I want with it, not having anyone else mess it up. I can come and go as I please and not have to answer to anyone. I am very content to be by myself the majority of the time, as long as I have my family close and they visit. My son is here almost every day working on my landscaping project, but he goes home after a day's work.

I love cooking what I want or not cooking at all, not having to get home by a certain time to make sure dinner is made for everyone else. No one else to be responsible for other than my dogs. Of course, I do help out my kids a little. lol. I like being able to have visitors and then they leave. :D So, there's social time and lots of free time too.

The only down side was (when I was in Idaho) if I needed help fixing something. LOL. I had a little trouble with that. Now here, I have my son, my ex or just about anybody if I need something to be fixed or built...whatever.

Maybe it comes from having been quite controlled in my past and now I feel free as a bird. I truly love living alone as long as I can see and visit with other people from time to time. When I lived in Idaho...that was TOOOOOOO alone. I hardly ever saw anyone. I was way too isolated. I didn't mind it at first...for a few years, but then it weighed on me mightily. So, this is just the right mix.

I understand about sharing a life with someone you love, even with the ups and downs. So, naturally, if you're happy that way, you probably love living with your spouse or S.O.

So, tell about your situation and what you think about it all. Compare it to past living situations or just share your thoughts any way you like. :popcorn:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I'm about to and I'm so looking forward to it. My parents were gone on vacation for a week and I had the house to myself... it was glorious. My aunt called me like two days in asking if I was okay, if I was lonely, if I wanted to come eat dinner with her and my grandma (my aunt never married and lives alone, and since my grandpa died, she goes and eats dinner with my grandma every night) - NOPE. I LOVE THIS. I'M DOING AMAZING. BYYYYYYEEEE

I suppose it could be a little lonely but solitude can be incredible, too. So... yeah. Excited.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Gah, I suck alone. I have horrible anxiety and Denis helps balance me out. I like a day or two alone while he's at work so I can clean, he get underfoot otherwise, but aside from that I love having him around.

Doberluv

I should have warned you...a poll was on it's way. You can go back and vote.

Pretty nice, I'd say Beanie...to have the house to yourself. It is nice...the solitude.

Adrianne...that is good that you have someone there to be a comfort to you, yet you can have a little bit of time to yourself too.

crazedACD

I'm living with my family at the moment but have lived alone in the past..and LOVED it. I just like to do things on my own time and someone asking me to do this or that, now, just irks me. When I live with other people I feel like I retreat into my bedroom...all my animals, my computer, tv, all my stuff is just in one room. If I'm living alone..well, I'm much more spread out and apt to use my bedroom just for sleeping, be able to put the birds in the living area, etc. I like to be able to come and go as I please.

I also lived with unknown roommates once (I hated it), and my cousin once. I had a tough time with my cousin as she allowed 3 more people to move in...in a small two bedroom house..ugh. She would get mad at random things, it just didn't work.

Fran27

Pizza :D

Unfortunately I was in a bad place when I lived alone, so I didn't enjoy it. Some days I really wish I still lived alone though LOL.

As of living with someone, well, I guess it depends. Some days it sucks.

BostonBanker

I dream of living alone. I do solitude well at home, and get tons of interactions outside the home. Plus, I can talk to the dogs all I want and not have anyone around looking at me like I'm crazy.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Oh it helps that Denis is as crazy as me and we don't talk to the dogs as much as we talk for the dogs regularly. Moo even likes to sing a lot, Sloan is very self involved, and Arnold loves trees, he's an environmentalist.

I will say I'll take living alone over living with mom and dad.

Denis was away for 3 days for a job interview and I was super edgy and anxious, I'd fail at a long distance relationship I guess. lol

Toller_08

I could not stand living alone I don't think. I used to house-sit a lot and hated being all alone. I love being at home with my family. Sometimes it's nice to be alone for a day or two, but all in all, I'd rather live with people than without any day. Well, depending on who the people are too I suppose. I think I'd rather live alone than with most friends or room mates I hardly knew. I like living with those that I know well - family.

Last edited:

Zhucca

Lab Love
I love living alone.

LOVEIT.

I've lived with my family when I was younger, then I lived with 5 other roommates in a large house (chaos and awful), and in my current house I'm on my second roommate. My god is is horrendous. There's not a pro to it at all and if I had the cash I would deal with rent by myself. Other people are messy, inconsiderate, loud, just a PITA.

I had a period where I was living in this house by myself for around 2 months and it was the happiest living situation I could've thought of. I do like people and consider myself social but I really am a introverted person when it comes down to it and I really like my own company. I could see living with a spouse but I can't wait to get out of the 'roommate stage' of my life.

If I could be more in harmony/peace with my family then I'd really enjoy living in the situation I'm living in now - but perhaps in a slightly larger house. 4 people and a big dog sharing 3 bathrooms (I'd murder for a ensuite), 2 bedrooms (My room isn't even a 'proper' bedroom - it's a larger sort of office/storeroom that I've shoved a bed in lol) and a small kitchen is abit much.

I'd rather be alone or with a good friend sharing a house/apartment given the reality of the situation and me and my family's relations though.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I lived by myself for a year in college and a year after college and I def prefer it to living with my parents or annoying roomies, but I also loved living with my 2nd roomie in college and now DH. I do need my "me" time, but I also thrive on human interaction and so I feel better when sharing a home with the right person.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I've lived alone and liked it.

I've lived with people and hated it...and for the last howevermany years I've been living with my spouse and I love it. Had some really bad match roomies so naturally I ached to live alone then.

Now though? I'd be fine going back to living alone, except that would mean I wouldn't be living with my spouse. Who, you know, I really like :p And honestly with our current property, it would be nearly a 24/7 job just to tackle the place by myself. Having a live-in workmate and best friend makes both our lives better.

/cheese

momto8

I don't think I could live alone. My husband drives truck and we have 5 kids, all our kids are in school and have been for around 3 yrs or so now, and somedays I'm bored out of my mind when he goes to school, i get out and walk my dogs and do obedience ect, but somedays it would be nice to just have a lazy day and have someone to talk to.

Kimbers

I like having the house to myself, but I'm not sure I'd like living alone.
I love it when it's just my brother and I. He's home enough that I don't feel terribly lonely, but he's gone during a majority of the day or is asleep. Plus he cooks for himself, so I don't have to worry about getting enough protein on his plate. (I'm a vegetarian and he's pretty much a body-building carnivore.)
My best friend and I have had plans to be roomies during/after college since we were five. We'll see how realistic that is in a few years, though.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I still live with my parents.... so no don't live alone. And never have. I would love living alone during the DAY, but I get really bad anxiety if I'm alone at night, so I don't think I could do it. On the SUPER RARE occasion that my parents are out late at night, I turn on pretty much every light in the house, make sure everything is locked up and the TV has to be on just for noise. And then I'm still paranoid that someone is going to sneak in the house.

So anyway.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I voted "share a home with someone and want to escape." You guys know I live with roommates, three other people, two of whom are married to each other. It could be worse, but I'm getting tired of sharing a house with other people. I clean stuff and it gets messed up again, they leave their stuff around, getting the bills paid is stressful because someone doesn't budget their money properly. They are very social people and like to have friends over a lot, whereas most days I'd rather just, not. I do like most of their friends though, and there are a few who I'm always happy to see. But I'm just not a person who needs a lot of social interaction. I do have anxiety issues, and what helps them the most is just being with dogs, and cats to a point.

I am also looking forward to when I am past the roommate stage, and have my own home with several dogs. I am not opposed to living with one other person, an SO who makes me happy just because they are there with me, that person who makes it a good day because their smile was the first thing I saw when I woke up; that person who's traits compliment mine and make me a better person just for knowing them. Someday.

houlahoops

No :(

I lived alone for half of last year after my roommate left (partly for personal reasons and partly because of me: I have night terrors and it was understandably very distressing for her). Although there were things I liked about it, I was very lonely a lot of the time. It's difficult for me to make overtures to people and so I spent most of my free time sitting in my room playing guitar or drawing. The last few weeks I ended up moving in with a close (but male) friend who was also dying of loneliness and didn't mind my occasional nighttime yelling.

Next year I will be living with three roommates (while in Africa) for half the year and with one (a good friend) for the second half.

Members online

No members online now.