Male dog peeing on everything inside.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Sooo I need some help with my moms terrier Casey.

He pee's on everything when we are not home or when we are sleeping and he's not kenneled up.

Usually he is kenneled when we are sleeping or away, but somtimes someone forget and we come home to stuff peed on and poo in the entry way.

Its starting to drive my mother up the wall and she is starting to loose her patients with him.

Has anyone used the belly bands and do they help? I think I am going to try and pick some up. But does anyone have some awesome suggestions.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Yes he is pretty much always crated when she leaves or I leave, its only an issue say if my brother or dad leaves and does not crate him. They he has a pee fest. Or poo's and its not like he can't hold it, because he can.

lizzybeth727

Belly bands won't help with the pooping.

Honestly, if it were my family having trouble remembering to crate the dog, they'd probably have a hard time remembering to keep the belly band on as well. This sounds more like a human training problem than a dog training problem. ;)

Maybe a note on the door that they'll see on the way out?

Romy

Taxiderpy
In my experience, belly bands don't always work when you leave the dog unsupervised anyway because sometimes they'll decide to chew them off. You mom should be reaming the dad and brother for not kenneling him, since it's not an issue when he's crated.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Smudge didn't care about belly bands. He'd pee anyhow and be okay with it. I'd suggest a note and crating or constant supervision. Thankfully for me, neutering him stopped the peeing.

Athelas

Pup-Meister
Sounds like dad and brother need some training!

Consistency in his routine is important - dogs need/like/want a routine. I can relate: we have a teenage girl who often gets home from school before we do. The dogs are crated during the day, but whoever gets home first lets them out and takes them out. But sometimes our girl forgets to take them down - she'll put it off while she is doing something else and then just forgets. And of course the dogs have learned that they may not get to go out when she gets home first .. so little treasures get deposited here and there.

The problem is that it makes it very difficult for me to housetrain them in general because they are getting mixed messages and an inconsistent routine. Before I had a teen, I was always able to housetrain dogs very quickly and permanently.

But Lord, just try modifying the behavior of a teen girl!

Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. The Birds and the Bees
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi HayleyMarie,

What you can do is to make it certain that you don't get terribly upset at your dog when it peed outside the designated area that you want them to pee on. Now for some people today this would imply that rather than being upset at your dog all of the time once you clean up the mess you will want to put the cleaning up materials into the area that you want them to make use of. For instance if you are making use of a cat litter pan and you clean up any messes with paper towels you would like to put them inside of the litter pan that way your dog will get used to seeing that his scent is being taken to that specific location of your house every time he goes and eventually he'll learn that this is exactly where he is supposed to pee on.

Members online