Pedigree

Stump1000

I can't find any information on Pedigree dog food. I feed my dogs the dry and have for a while now. I switched to it from Iam's dog food. Is this a good healthy food for my dogs?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Pedigree is an even more low quality dog food then Iams was.

If you can, I would be switching to a higher end dog food like Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, Canidae, Fromm, Natural Balance etc.

These foods do cost more, but in the end you are feeding less of it. THey dont contain fillers such as corn, or wheat etc.
They are a better quality. If you think about it..

Pedigree is like chocolate.. and if you are feeding your kid chocolate all the itme, sure they can live off of it.. they just wont strive off of it ;)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Neither Iams nor Pedigree are quality foods.

Here is the ingredient list for Iams:

Ingredients
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Flax Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fish Oil (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract

And here are the ingredients for Pedigree:

INGREDIENTS
Ground Whole Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA/BHT), Wheat Mill Run, Ground Wheat, Natural Poultry Flavor, Wheat Flour, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Carmel Color, Vegetable Oil (Source of Linoleic Acid), Rice, Wheat Gluten, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate [Source of Vitamin C*], Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Added FD&C and Lake Colors (Yellow 6, Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5).

I've highlighted the bad ingredients. If you go to www.dogfoodproject.com , you will find an explanation of why these ingredients aren't good.

There are many, many high quality dog foods out there. Some of them are:

Canidae
Timberwolf Organics
Orijen
Innova
Nature's Variety

And there are many more. With a high quality food, you actually feed less of it to your dog (so the prices are very comparable with low quality foods).

shazbot

not so newby
If cost is an issue for you I highly recommend Canidae. It's very reasonably priced for the quality it provides.

I agree with the previous poster, Canidae is a wonderful food and is a great price.
However, just a little note about higher quality foods, not only will they need less to fill them up, but they may poop a little less ( always a bonus) and the extra money you spend on the food will save you in the end, less in little vet bills!!!:D
Definately read up on some of the suggestions that have been given to you thus far. Some great foods listed there!

hedwig

go natural i think in america is the best dog food you can get over there.
most food you listed are not available in the uk, my pup is on james wellbeloved as its the best on the market here. expensive though,

Members online