Can we discuss The Time of the Doctor?

Saeleofu

...because Reddit is too much. I don't want to sort though hundreds...thousands...of replies.

Soooo...WHAT DID YOU THINK? The good, the bad, the ugly...

GO!

I loved it. Absolutely loved it. There were parts I had ro rewatch to fully understand, and it did move a bit quickly (it would have been better as a 2-parter).

The regeneration itself...omg...it was perfect. I liked how when you see the first shoe, you just KNOW it's going to be Capaldi...and then it isn't. And there's a slight, ever so slight, thought that this was all a big setup, and Smith is staying a little longer - and Clara feels the same thing. Then the way Matt shows his regeneration pain, but still tries to keep calm for Clara's sake. Best of all, I liked how he was willing to go, and was, more than anything else, HAPPY to be able to regenerate again. I felt like those final moments, with his speech, and the tie dropping, and Clara hoping against hope he would keep his face again, those moments could have lasted forever. But then BAM! Capaldi. It took a long time to build up, but once he was "done" it was an instant and then there he is, and nobody was really quite prepared for it yet.

I cried. I cried a lot. But the minute Capaldi showed up, I stopped, and I laughed, and I'm SO looking forward to August!

Saeleofu

I'm definitely going to miss him! It took me a long time to warm up to him, but once I did, he was SO amazing! Quite honestly, I think I like him better than Tennant, especially after this last performance.

I was hoping Capaldi would be it from the moment his name was mentioned as a possibility, so I am quite stoked. But yeah, AUGUST. At least it's supposed to be a continuous season, and not split!

Saeleofu

What do you suppose made him need a cane/have a limp? 300 years had passed, but he didn't look THAT old. I'm guessing he's somewhere around 2000 years old now. Maybe older. I cried when he couldn't even pull the Christmas cracker :'(

I find it interesting that altough the TARDIS didn't like Clara at first, she extended her shields to protect Clara. But she tried to run away from Jack when he clung to the outside, and certainly didn't protect him!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Clara isn't a big ball of time-slipped "wrongness" either. ;)

I'm still having mixed feelings and want to rewatch to get some stuff I missed the first time around. Mostly I have giant issues with Moffat being, well, Moffat and throwing established canon to the wind in order to go "HA! PLOT TWIST! TAKE THAT, M. NIGHT!"

I mean, I can sort of maybe not really almost buy the Daleks being back and Real Daleks again. But The Crack showing back up too? And it's because it's the Time Lords are on the other side, who just go "Oh, you're not going to allow us to come back into the time stream? Ok cool! Have another regeneration on us. Cheers!" Though at least Moffat did acknowledge the potential clusterfsck he made when he brought in the War Doctor for the 50th and didn't just brush it off with "well, it didn't actually count because I am Moffat."

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I mean, I can sort of maybe not really almost buy the Daleks being back and Real Daleks again. But The Crack showing back up too? And it's because it's the Time Lords are on the other side, who just go "Oh, you're not going to allow us to come back into the time stream? Ok cool! Have another regeneration on us. Cheers!" Though at least Moffat did acknowledge the potential clusterfsck he made when he brought in the War Doctor for the 50th and didn't just brush it off with "well, it didn't actually count because I am Moffat."
It was always a matter of time before the Time Lords Konami-coded his regenerations. Running with the crack was the easiest way to go about it without it clamoring over the entire story arc. Glad it's over with, the fans can rage and we can move on. :rofl1:

I thought that they reset him for one generation, but I've been reading further and it's rumoured that the entire cycle has been reset. That bit, if true, I dunno how I feel. It's gotta end sometime, and end right.

Saeleofu

It is indeed a whole new set of regenerations, the Doctor said so himself, and that's why all the Daleks went explodey-wodey.

As far as the crack, it's really not THE crack. THE crack was fixed, but it's still weak. Like when you have a real crack in your real wall and patch it up with spackle. It's fixed on the surface, but it'll crack again pretty easily. The crack is in the skin of THIS universe. Any number of things can press against it to try to get in. Prisoner Zero's universe for sure, but other possibilities would be N-Space, House's universe...anything, really, and this time it happens to be Gallifrey'ws pocket universe. That said, it's a crack. It's kind of hard to shove a whole planet (and Gallifrey is a big one at that) through a little crack. It's easier to send energy - regeneration energy in the case. But if you were to shine a light through a crack, it would get through easily. Try and shove your hand through, and it might not work so well. The Doctor saved Gallifrey, and the Time Lords know it. They know he NEEDS a new set of regenerations, because Capaldi's face was there to help save them. If they didn't send the regenerations through PDQ, there would be no Capaldi Doctor, and then no Gallifrey to poke at the crack to begin with, because they'd still be stuck in the middle of the Time War.

Daleks will always show up. They're daleks. The Master is bound to show up again sometime, too. And Cybermen. You just can't NOT bring them back at some point.

What really bugs me, is who the **** is Tasha Lem, and do we know her already? Is she River? Is she Romana? Is she a brand new character? WHY IS THE DOCTOR ALL LOVEY DOVEY SEXY WEXY WITH HER?

I thought the Silents being rogue priests was pretty cool. CONFESSSSSSSS. CONFESSSSSSSSSSSS.

ETA: Pardon the humany-wumany bits, I'm inebriated. Perhaps that's when Moffat makes the most sense...

Ya I had to ask the hubby about her too, because I didn't remember seeing her before lol. But ya who is she? She'll be back I'm sure, hopefully they'll fix the cracks in her forehead though lol. I agree about the daleks, they will always be back, like cybermen (and what was with his cyberman head? Did I miss where he collected it?).

Saeleofu

They didn't show where Handles came from, but I loved it! It was his new K-9 equivalent. And it shows that although cybermen are usually his enemies, they don't always have to be. This broken bit of Cyberman was his companion.

On that note...I sort of really want the Doctor to have a real traveling companion again. Not one he picks up once a week (or maybe less) for adventures. Someone who is always by his side, living in the TARDIS...Don't get me wrong, I love Clara to bits, I just wish she was a full-time companion and not the once-in-a-while companion like Amy and Rory were at the end.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
if there was a person out there, hypothetically speaking, who had never heard of doctor who, and hypothetically speaking, was curious about this phenomenon, what would you recommend they start with, what season, etc?

Saeleofu

if there was a person out there, hypothetically speaking, who had never heard of doctor who, and hypothetically speaking, was curious about this phenomenon, what would you recommend they start with, what season, etc?
Series 1 in 2005 (NOT in 1963). Episode "Rose." And I would tell them to stick it out, because lots of people don't like that episode, but it gets better!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'd say I grew up with dr who, it's been around that long EVERYONE (in the uk) knows about dr who... But.... It was always tongue in cheek. It's still is I think... I don't get the worldwide fame it's now acquired!

I think the early ones are probably the best, but I've never watched the new ones so I'm just nostalgic :p plus the whole appeal was the cheap sets anyway!

I remember when billy piper was the assistant though. Which is funny. If you know how billy piper got famous :D

Saeleofu

I remember when billy piper was the assistant though. Which is funny. If you know how billy piper got famou
No, what's funny is what show Billie Piper has been in with Matt Smith! :rofl1:

I'd say I grew up with dr who, it's been around that long EVERYONE (in the uk) knows about dr who... But.... It was always tongue in cheek. It's still is I think... I don't get the worldwide fame it's now acquired!
It's really...not. It used to be, but it grew up. Fifty years has led to a lot of maturing.

I'd suggest you give it another chance ;) The old ones ARE good, but for people who got into NewWho first, it's a bit of an acquired taste. I have just a few seasons of the classics left. Since I have 8 months to kill...

SoCrafty

We finally saw it last night. I disliked the episode - mostly because Matt Smith was "my first Doctor" and I thought he deserved a better send off than that. I did enjoy that several loose ends were tied up and the ending with "my raggedy doctor" hit me in all the feels.

I am slightly sad that Matt is no longer the Doctor. But, I am looking forward to seeing how Capaldi portrays the Doctor.

Until August, I shall be watching Netflix LOL.

Ya with three seasons if he was ones first it would be hard...christopher eccleston was my first and he only had one season I learned early to not be too in love with the Doctor. But to be honest it's great because each regeneration is his own Doctor, so Matt isn't being replaced, he will always be the raggedy man, the timey wimey saying doctor.

I saw it - didn't really like it. I found this post that sums up how I feel pretty well, I think (be warned, it is very long and very opinionated lol). I haven't really been into the latest season in general, although I love Matt Smith as the Doctor and was sad to see him go. I am excited for Peter Capaldi though!

Saeleofu

I saw it - didn't really like it. I found this post that sums up how I feel pretty well, I think (be warned, it is very long and very opinionated lol). I haven't really been into the latest season in general, although I love Matt Smith as the Doctor and was sad to see him go. I am excited for Peter Capaldi though!
Ack, I LOVED this season! I didn't like how drawn-out the season was, and some stories would have REALLY benefited from a second part, but I cried more for this season than I have for pretty much any other one.

And yeah, "dem feels" is a big criterion for me :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.