My mare foaled today.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
My mare, Jessie, foaled today. I was REALLY hoping for a nice colourful filly with as much spunk as her momma's got for my dream barrel horse...

Instead she popped out this (excuse the bad picture and the dirty stall!)

Solid stud colt. Le sigh. But that said, I AM happy that the birth was relatively easy, fast and that both are okay... even if she did pop out exactly what I didn't want. I asked her to take him back but she won't. ;)

Paige

Let it be
I think he's adorable. We don't always get what we want but we usually get what we need in animals. He might just be everything you really hope for... just in the wrong look.

Xandra

I agree with Paige, don't write him off now! If he has the temperament and aptitude, the rest will seem trivial.

(and though I'm sure it doesn't help... I would be so thrilled if I had a horse, much less a horse with foal! That is really cool)

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I didn't really intend on keeping the foal unless it was a filly, honestly. While I understand I I should be greatful for any horse at all, I should point out that *I* already own two horses, this mare and another Percheron/Pinto mare, plus my mom has a mare and a filly and a stallion, and my sister has a mare and a gelding. So I know I sound like an ungreatful brat.

He's some cute and I like him so far. We'll see how he turns out and how serious I am about the horse thing when it comes time to decide to keep him or sell him.

Paige

Let it be
Oh I just meant enjoy him while you have him. Nothing wrong with not intending to keep him.

Dekka

Just try me..
Colour has no impact on speed! Or temperament. (What colour was the dad?) I worked in a racing AQHA barn for a while... loads of fast chestnut horses there!! And plenty of chrome!

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Dad's a solid, too, so there was plenty of chance we'd get a solid. I was just hoping for at least a filly, lol. I know it has no impact on speed, and if I like this boy enough I'll keep him even if he is solid.

Xandra

I didn't really intend on keeping the foal unless it was a filly, honestly. While I understand I I should be greatful for any horse at all, I should point out that *I* already own two horses, this mare and another Percheron/Pinto mare, plus my mom has a mare and a filly and a stallion, and my sister has a mare and a gelding. So I know I sound like an ungreatful brat.
I wasn't trying to say that you're an ungrateful brat! Reading back I came off as preachy, I didn't mean to, lol it makes sense that when you're familiar with something you're more likely to be critical of it. It's just from an outsider's perspective... he's really cute! lol

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I wasn't trying to say that you're an ungrateful brat! Reading back I came off as preachy, I didn't mean to, lol it makes sense that when you're familiar with something you're more likely to be critical of it. It's just from an outsider's perspective... he's really cute! lol
You didn't come off like that -- I just didn't want people to think that was how I was looking at the situation. Like a spoiled brat and mad cause he's not exactly what I wanted, when in reality, I don't even know if I'm going to get back into the horses serious enough to justify keeping another, lol.

Dekka

Just try me..
I meant was dad a chestnut.. as chestnut to chestnut always produces chestnut.. I know I will be getting a chestnut foal next year lol. Good thing I like read heads!

Geez I did not even know you HAD horses, until the FB post and this thread! :) I love him, love that flashy chrome.

At least you HAVE color chances. When I breed, I have the chance of...wait....GREY!!! :rofl1:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok, call me stupid... but WHY did you breed your mare if you're not even sure you wanted to get back into horses seriously... I read a very interesting article not that long ago about the same dilemma in horse breeding as dog breeding. ie, people breeding just because they can, and for no better reason than that.

He is cute either way.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Ok, call me stupid... but WHY did you breed your mare if you're not even sure you wanted to get back into horses seriously... I read a very interesting article not that long ago about the same dilemma in horse breeding as dog breeding. ie, people breeding just because they can, and for no better reason than that.

He is cute either way.
This is ME not sure I want to get into horses again. And by that, I mean riding and showing. My PARENTS breed horses. This was not my breeding, it's just my mare, as in, my parents breed paint horses and when my mare was born they "gave" her to me.

My parents recently brought a very well bred halter mare from the states in and are back into breeding. Our stallion is a son of RH Mr Imprint, a well bred halter stallion. My mare, the one that foaled this colt is a well bred paint mare by Scenics Cowboy, who was a stallion my mom owned for years until he passed of old age and was a very nice, versatile horse.

Dekka and Miakoda, Dad is a sorrel and his registered name is Traditional Imprint. As for marketable. He'll be a nice colt, I don't doubt, but chances are he'll sell as a riding horse. Who knows, though. He'd do well in the show ring, I don't doubt, but it's hard to tell. If he doesn't sell right away, he'll stay here until he's old enough to be gelded and broke and we'll sell him as a riding horse later.

Honestly, I'm not all that knowledgeable about the horses. The dogs have been my thing for years and when I do the horse thing, I like trail riding and the idea of barrels. I'm just looking at seriously getting into barrels/games. The breeding is my mom's domain. I just wanted to share my mares cute baby. :)

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Ugh. :( Dad and I just went out to the barn to check on the mare and the foal and found the colt dead. He was fine when dad was out all times earlier this morning. Don't know what happened. There's nothing visibly wrong with him. Jessie, my mare, is not happy. It's gonna be a long grieving process for her, I think. :(

Dekka

Just try me..
I am so sorry that really sucks. Are you going to breed your mare back? (if you breed to the same stallion it will be another chestnut!) When one of our mares lost her foal we tranq'd her for a couple of days and after that she was fine.

Members online

No members online now.