Chinese Crested Dog - Wanted

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
A friend of mine is looking for one. She doesnt want to use a breeder because she "doesnt beleive in spending that kind of money on a dog". So I sugested rescue.

We are in Alberta, but maybe a rescue that would ship or we could work out a transport or something.

lizzybeth727

She doesnt want to use a breeder because she "doesnt beleive in spending that kind of money on a dog".
When people say this, it usually raises red flags for me. The purchase price of a dog is FAR less than what a decent owner is going to spend on the dog, even if they get it from a decent breeder. If you don't want to spend money on the dog, how will you choose which food to feed it? Or whether or not to get it spayed/neutered? Or whether or not to get it into an obedience class? It just feels odd to me.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
She's not taking it to OB class. It will be a indoor pet and will be taught basic house manners by her and basic OB (sit, down, ect..)

Not wanting to spend $1500 on a puppy and not having enough money to feed it are 2 different things.

I know her well. The dog will get properly cared for and fed and be a member of the family. She lives on a farm and has 2 big farm dogs, but wants a inside dog. Yes she knows you cant leave a Crestie outside. The dog will be altered. She does not want puppies.

She wants to rescue because she doesnt want to pay $1500 for a dog. Big diference than a $300 spay.

Toller_08

I unfortunately have no suggestions for you Jenn, but wanted to reply to the following.

When people say this, it usually raises red flags for me. The purchase price of a dog is FAR less than what a decent owner is going to spend on the dog, even if they get it from a decent breeder. If you don't want to spend money on the dog, how will you choose which food to feed it? Or whether or not to get it spayed/neutered? Or whether or not to get it into an obedience class? It just feels odd to me.
I disagree. My dad can't fathom spending a whole lot on the original purchase price of a dog, but he will make sure that dog has the best of everything for the rest of it's life. In fact, even I think the original purchase price of some dogs are outrageous. I hate what I paid for the Tollers... I don't see why a Toller needs to be priced so high. The Dobermans, I completely understand... the Tollers, not so much. But the fact that I didn't want to spend that kind of money has nothing to do with what I do for them now. :)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
try contacting crest care, there us based but have branches in NY, im sure for the right home they would be happy to arrange transport, or at the very least direct you to rescues in your area/that would be interested in helping transport.

good luck.
cresties are alot of fun, but a very...INTERESTING breed, make sure shes ready for one, there not your typical dog...there a primitive breed, need lots of upkeep (either coat or skin depending) there highly prone to issues with teeth and eye issues are prominent in the breed...

and you dont own them...they own you! think about it as having a cat crossed with a terrier crossed with a sighthound...add some fox, and mabe a little bit of wild dog, with a kangeroo!

i love my cresties...but the breed is definatly...Unique...and not for everyone :p

good luck with the hunt, theres lots of cresties out there in rescue with tons and tons of love to give!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Thanks Foxy. I will talk to her more about it. It whont happen for a while. Mind you she works in collections for a furanture rental company and there is a lady who got 2 from a friend of hers as rescues. They are neglected. The lady might rehome them so she may take them

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive found the best way to describe living with a crestie to someone is theres no real middle ground....
the breed will either be an amazing fit...or you simply wont connect with the breed and they will be just another dog.
wish her good luck and make her join the forum :p

YodelDogs

Another option to obtain an adult dog is through a breeder. Sometimes they have a retired breeding animal, an older pup that didn't quite turn out to be show quality, or maybe a dog that has been returned to them who needs a home. The adoption fee is usually lower than for an 8 week old puppy. Most breeders spay/neuter before placing these dogs. And you have the advantage of knowing the ancestry and health history behind the dog.

Members online