Canidae Feeders...

ACooper

Yes, it's a crying shame that they messed with a perfectly good thing. I have not purchased any of the new formula because I was lucky enough to hear about it here first and avoid buying the darker bag.

No more Canidae for us, we are done with them. We are down to Evo RM mixed with homecooked.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Nothing on the link? I'm confused.

But I do know this, they don't have the greatest costumer service.

I agree, AC. It's a shame they messed with a great thing. :(

ACooper

The link isn't working for you Liz? It's pretty much a list of people who have had problems with the new formula and what happened and such.

Here is one excerpt from it in case anyone else is having problems with the link, understand that this is ONLY one..........there is post after post from people on that site:

CANIDAE Pet Foods

Wendy of St Ignace MI (09/04/08)
I have been feeding Canidae Dog food for about 3 years now , I moved to Upper Michigan 16 years ago and had problems finding GOOD Dog food in this area I am 43 years old and have been showing dogs since the age of 7 I have been raising Miniature dachshunds , Whippets and I do aussie rescue .

at this time I have 14 dogs in my home several different breeds due to rescue , I came upon Canidae as I said about 3 years ago and fed and was doing very well with it , I fed most of the dogs the all stage formula and the whippets were on the lamb and rice formula ,

about a month back (early august ) I purchased 2 bags of all stage and a bag of lamb and rice , I opened the lamb and rice and it was light in color and a different shape so I was alarmed wouldn't feed that night called Canidae in the morning , the women I spoke to told me that they had changed their formula and the color was due to the slow cooking process and they had real lamb now and lowered the Rice content , I felt safe to feed after talking to the women on the phone , I fed everyone right away , within HOURS all my dogs not just one or two but all had severe diarreah some looked ill feeling depressed no energy so I gave everyone a dose of Immodium let there tummys rest and the next day the same thing ,

I fasted everyone for 24 hours then again started same thing , I had horrible messes and very sick dogs all live in the house mind you . I called Candidae back and the women I talked to then was not helpful nor polite , she said you have something going on with your dogs it is not our food . and no one has complained except for you being the first one . I took stool samples in to vet NOTHING no paristites no Giardia nothing but very upset stomachs .

I went to the feed store and my dealer told me to try Fromms Gold Adult Holistic , I did and I am here to tell you everything is back to normal my dogs coats are getting back to nomal stools are back to normal , I have NEVER in all the years and changes of food ever encountered this problem. I will never use another Canidae product again

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
That's frightening. :( I'm so glad I stopped feeding it!

Tazwell

I have 7 dogs at my house. Archie switched away from Canidae before I started feeding the new bag. My other four switched shortly after we started the new bag.

My two fosters I kept feeding Canidae to. Kenna had an AWFUL bout of diarrhea last week-- I couldn't crate her for even an hour, for days. She's okay now. Still feeding Canidae.

Yesterday, Kylie wasn't feeling well at all. I put her to bed at 5am (We have a funny schedule here) and this morning, when I went to get her at 9 am, her crate was FULL of diarrhea-- and for the first time EVER, she didn't eat her food. Her diarrhea was extremely bad this morning.

These two dogs had the exact same symptoms, about a week or less apart. These two dogs don't go potty in the same yard, they never interact, they are never anywhere near each other (Kylie does not play well with others.) They're not even let out in the same side of the house.

I can only assume it's the food... What on earth could be causing that??

LauraLeigh

So far my store still has original formula, to the point that I wondered if they were even going to change the L&R that I feed.... It would seem they are, I have a new unopened bag in my closet, is there a way to tell if it is different just to be sure? I always dump my bags into a sealed food storage container so I never look at the bags day in and day out... the bag looks the same and the ingredients seem the same....

I have not changed only because it took so long to find a food Mindy did well on.. arggghhhh!!!!

I do feed 4 of my 5 Canidae L&R... My Chi though is on Wellness Core and my cats on Orijen.... I HATE changing foods but it looks like I will have to, Mindy's biggest issue was getting sick it sure does not sound like if the new food will help that!

ACooper

LauraLeigh, I was told and shown at my pet supply (because I asked after hearing about the change here) about the new formula.

They showed me a smaller bag that was still the old formula VS a bigger bag that was the new formula. The only difference I could see was the new formula is a DARKER green AND the weight of each bag has gone down! Example, a 35 lb bag is now a 30 lb bag for more money............and less quality apparently! :eek:

I saw nothing on the bag stating that they changed a thing either for what it's worth!

If I hadn't been forewarned here on Chaz I would have NEVER noticed the darker green in the design, and I find that down right despicable...........I would have been frantic if Orson starting puking and having diarhea thinking I haven't changed anything. I would have spent all sorts of money at the Vet running tests all because they couldn't put a little sticker on the bag saying "new formula" :mad:

LauraLeigh

My Bags are kind of orange and green, I just went and looked at it and there does seem to be a subtle difference, and I did notice on my bag a new sticker saying " Now With FRESH Lamb" and the bag matches the info on their site perfectly : http://www.canidae.com/dogs/lamb-and-rice/dry.html

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

What in hec do I do now? My dogs have about a days worth of the other bag and now I don't know if this new bag will affect the in a bad way, or even if you can return an unopened bag of food? I had been hoping the L&R was unaffected (Forced to pull my head out of the sand now...)

I am so frustrated, I finally had a food that worked for my gang... one fussy eater(Max), one sensitive stomach (Mindy), one itchy girl(Di) and one would eat Ole Roy and be happy.. LOL (Foster) the only one who would not TOUCH Canidae was the Chi Molly..... Guess she knows her stuff

Tazwell

^That's what I thought-- The Carb source changed, from something else to Rice bran... and the fish from Herring meal to Ocean fish meal. What the heck would make these dogs sick? Did they change the source of the ingredients?

It can't be the formula change, its not that big of a change for most dogs. Its a little worse now, but its not terrible either.

Manufacturing problems again?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I've heard from too many people on other boards that the new formulas are making their dogs get the runs, etc. and have stopped buying it.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Psyfalcon, I believe it is the formula change, there are too many dogs getting sick off of both kinds to be coincidence.

I never much liked Canidae to begin with, because it gave Virgo vomiting issues and this was a couple of years ago. Since beign switched away from Canidae, she's had a cast-iron stomach.

jingles

Being a pet store owner I do carry canidae, but warn the customers about the change. I have always fed Eagle and will never switch. My dogs and pups have always done very well and their coats are excellent. Never have problems with fleas or ticks. And I don't use spot ons or flea collars.

Members online

No members online now.