Wyoming Looking Into Aircraft Carrier

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Awww. I would have loved to see the USS Wyoming, mounted on colorful little wheels like a child's pull toy.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
The silliness of a land locked state thinking of purchasing an Aircraft Carrier aside... Is not the idea of a state preparing for a entirely possible situation rather prudent? You know, the whole "Federal Government of the country becoming insolvent" thing? 15 Trillion on the Credit Cards, (a lot more if you consider future required outlays) is not going away.

I did, FWIW, get a chuckle from this. I just knew this is what the media would key on. Ignore the true substance and pick on the little piece that suits the agenda.

On what tax base would Wyoming manage to field an armed force? Who is going to sell Wyoming a strike fighter, even a land based one? Modern jets aren't cheap.

I suppose Wyoming can have its militia if it wants, but it will go broke doing so before the US does.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The silliness of a land locked state thinking of purchasing an Aircraft Carrier aside... Is not the idea of a state preparing for a entirely possible situation rather prudent? You know, the whole "Federal Government of the country becoming insolvent" thing? 15 Trillion on the Credit Cards, (a lot more if you consider future required outlays) is not going away.

I did, FWIW, get a chuckle from this. I just knew this is what the media would key on. Ignore the true substance and pick on the little piece that suits the agenda.
I think you are reading WAY too much into this. The article was posted by a lawyer who runs a blog about humorous, silly laws . . . and I don't think he's either the "media" nor does he have an "agenda," unless its to make bored lawyers laugh. He does think the preparations are a bit over the top, that's clear . . . but I'm pretty sure he reported it because . . . an aircraft carrier in Wyoming is funny . . . which if you read the update, is exactly what the Representative who proposed it thought as well.

Had no one proposed an aircraft carrier, I doubt it would have draw his attention. Or mine for that matter. I actually have no problem with the idea of such planning, though it does seem a very "Wyoming" thing to do. But then, here is Northern VA, we'd just be screwed, so why bother?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I keep thinking about this, and still wish it had gone on longer. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened. Would the Colorado legislature start looking into acquiring destroyers to defend against the potential threat from their neighbor?

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
I think you are reading WAY too much into this. The article was posted by a lawyer who runs a blog about humorous, silly laws . . . and I don't think he's either the "media" nor does he have an "agenda," unless its to make bored lawyers laugh. He does think the preparations are a bit over the top, that's clear . . . but I'm pretty sure he reported it because . . . an aircraft carrier in Wyoming is funny . . . which if you read the update, is exactly what the Representative who proposed it thought as well.
If the article you linked were the only outlet to carry such a story, yes, I would be reading WAY to much into it. (and, hey, if The Daily Show gets to be called 'media'.... Such is our brave 'new' world I suppose.)

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/should-wyoming-build-aircraft-carrier

Etc and so on. Some of the articles I saw were down right mean.

All this said, it is rather amusing and silly. But how sad that a state even needs to consider such a thing, no?

But then, here is Northern VA, we'd just be screwed, so why bother?
For sure. I'm in a tough spot here in Central PA. But NOVA? If the lights go out for three days and the grocery stores go empty.... Oy.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but I reckon I was anyway. Sorry. LOL

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
I keep thinking about this, and still wish it had gone on longer. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened. Would the Colorado legislature start looking into acquiring destroyers to defend against the potential threat from their neighbor?
[sarcasm]
Colorado gotz NORAD. They don't need no stinkin' Destroyers. They have the buttons that shoots da nukes. And all the zoomie cadets in Colorado Springs. LOL

[/sarcasm]

Idaho... Idaho is where its at. Think of all the options for spud launchers. Ammo for DAYS. :)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
[sarcasm]
Colorado gotz NORAD. They don't need no stinkin' Destroyers. They have the buttons that shoots da nukes. And all the zoomie cadets in Colorado Springs. LOL

[/sarcasm]

Idaho... Idaho is where its at. Think of all the options for spud launchers. Ammo for DAYS. :)
DAYS? YEARS!

as for mean . . . I fear that mean is pretty much the prevalent political style these days.

You can't give appreciate the silliness of some legislators without it becoming a huge partisan issue! :D

Members online

No members online now.