Removing dew claws

leaughxp

I need opinions on removing dew claws. I have a lab/hound puppy who will be neutered soon. I asked the vet about removing them and she said they could do it when he's neutered but that it is just cosmetic. She said sometimes the back ones can hang and get caught on things so sometimes it's recommended that the back ones be removed. I read another thread on here about having them removed and didn't even know that a dog could have them only on the front; I thought dogs had them front and back and for some reason only thought big dogs had them (propably because my westie either didn't have any or his fur just covered them up so I never noticed). So I just checked Gunner and actually I don't think he has dew claws on the back; since he's always moving it's hard to tell though but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Sould I get the front ones removed then, even if he doesn't have ones in the back? He does seem to hold his nylabones when he chews on them so maybe they help him with that. I don't want to have them removed if they don't need to be but I don't want them to cause problems for him (like getting caught or riped out) later on either. And they are sharp; it wil be hard for me to cut them since his nails are black I can't see where the quick is to see where to cut. For now I've just had the vet trim them when we go for visits. Would you get them removed?

Unless they stuck out too much and were floppy, my personal inclination is to leave them alone, especially since he uses them in the way you describe. My dogs do the same thing; if those digits were removed they'd have a hard time doing some of the things they do.

bogolove

I had Brady's removed, but his stuck out and one was like a floppy toe with no bone in it (like an extra toe), and I was afraid it woudl get caught on something and get ripped off so I had it done when he got fixed. It healed in about a week.

Your description of Brady's dewclaws is exactly the kind I would have removed also. The floppy dewclaws are a real risk for injury if they're not removed, and since there isn't any significant connective tissue or muscle in the floppy ones they do generally heal pretty quickly and uneventfully.

leaughxp

Hmm...I think Gunner's are soft, pretty sure no bone in them, and you can see them without having to get real close, so I'm not sure if they really stick out or how close they can be since I have nothing to compare them too. Do you know of any websites that have pics of the different kinds and what kind would be best removed? I searched but came up with nothing.

kjblah

Dew Claws

My fella, Calvin, is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Chow, Mastiff mix and has one Dew Claw on his back paw that doesn't seem to cause any problems. Plus, I think there's a legend about Dew Claws (can't remember what it is), that makes doggies with them special. I'd leave it.

leaughxp

Thanks, I think Gunner's are like those and when I felt them again I think there is some bone or cartiledge at least at the base of them. So I guess he'll be keeping them. :)

chell78

I totally agree with your vet, im a vet nurse and we only recommend removing dewclaws if they are hanging there (ie no bone attached) They do tend to get caught on things if they are not connected so i would just leave them where they are.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
Yer thats what my vet said too!!I wanted to see if you could get the drew claw removed and he said i wouldnt advise it due to they only remove thigs when there just hanging off or something serouise!!
The reson why i asked that was coz my mums mate said why has Lucky still got his drew claw coz both her whippets got there drew claws removed!!!
Anyway i dont care i like dogs with it or without it!!! :D

candy722

I just noticed that Toki only has dew claws on his front legs but not in the back. I read somewhere that some dogs don't even have dew claws. I called a few vets about removing them and most of them don't remove dew claws for dogs. I mean it doesn't bother me because I can't see it. But I know if it's not clipped it gets really sharp.

www.barkatme.com

Dew Claws

I didn't have a choice with my Doberman because when I went to choose him he already had his tail docked and the dew claws removed, but then he's parents were proper show dogs and granparents had won cruft's so I think thats why he was done. :)

But then again a doberman looks really funny with a tail?

bogolove

My dog had dew claws on the back, but they were almost like extra toes. they stuck out and it looked like a toe but it was soft and floppy so I had them removed when he was neutered. I was afraid as rambunctious as he is that he would get them caught on something and rip them off. They wrapped his paws in bandages and he chewed the bandages off after a few days. After that he didn't seem to notice they were gone. The only reason I did it though was because they stuck out. I wouldn't recommend someone do it if their dog has normal dew claws b/c it is not really necessary.

A

an5gel99

get the front and back de clawed bc the back cant get caught and the front wont be their so less stress for you and the dog while you clip them

Members online

No members online now.