disappointed

nancy2394

I had to puppy sit again for my friend's two puppies these past 4 days. And as you can imagine .... having her 2 puppies and my puppy all together and having 2 out of the 3 not fully house trained... my carpets have been peed and peed on.

I've had a problem with my pup peeing all over the carpeting for the past 7 months and have tried a lot of different products that are all just a temporary fix for the urine odor. Unless she is just peeing in places that I have not been aware of... but the carpets have been shampood several times in the past several months.

Anyway... we just happened to be at target and they had this stuff called urine gone. It's 20 bucks for 24 ouces in a spray bottle and it comes with a black light to detect the urine. They say "as seen on tv" and it comes with satisfaction guaranteed... minus the shipping and handling of course.

I was all excited thinking we were actually gonna be rid of this terrible urine odor in our new house. Well, the black light did nothing but show the lint on my carpet. And it showed something on the arm of a rocker... but that was it!!! I had such high expectations of it pointing out where the urine spots were that we may not have seen. I am sooooo disappointed.

Yeah, I know I can send the product back and get my money back... but I was so excited at the thought of it working. And the product may work... but it says you have to saturate the area all the way down to the padding for it to work. And since I have no idea where on the carpet to do it now I would have to do the entire house and that would cost me a fortune to do that.

So, if anyone has any ideas what I can do to clean 3 bedrooms, a hallway and large living room... I'm all ears. Like I said.... I can not be sure where all the urine spots are... we did our best to clean them as soon as we saw them or stepped on them.. but I'm sure there are many more that were kind of a sneak and pee kind of maneuver.

I cannot stand this pee smell anymore.......someone PLEASE help me before I go insane!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I forget, have you tried Nature's Miracle? I've had great luck with that...though the urine smell may have gone all the way do the wood flooring (generally sheets of plywood) under your carpet, in which case you may have to pull up the carpet and clean the wood part, then clean the pad, then the carpet again.

bubbatd

Sigh !!! Go the Nature's Miracle's way and Grammy's way ... When I moved in here, I had 2 dogs under extreme stress and one with a brain tumor who had no control what so ever. So, Grammy had to play " bloodhound" sniffing the carpets on hands and knees and squirting like mad if she found a spot. I.B. peed and sh*tted at will due to her illness.... poor Bubba had major diahrea due to stress. T'wasn't fun !!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
you are having problems because of the scent there in the first place..you need to get them prof..cleaned..and get diligent in your housebreaking. I can house break in three days without fail and have done it a hundred times if i have done it once.. first get a leash..keep that dog next to you..the leash more for you to pay attention then the dog. take that dog out every 20-30 minutes until you are out and praising every single time..with zero accidents..that takes about one day..of course i sleep with the dog so i am there when it wakes up..and boot out the door before the dog touches the floor.(of course you go out too and if you are smart you will instruct whe4re you would prefer they eliminate) take treats..tell them they are the greatest most unique and smartest dog in the world for knowing that a good dog hikes (urinate or bm) outside and you think they are just fab...praise..when they eat..out..drink..out..keep them where you can see them every single second for 3 days and your job will be done. you are not communicating and the dog is not understanding..the house has the odor even if you clean they smell 500 times more then u do and the scent alone is enuff to trigger an accident..get the leash and a timer..buck up and get er done.

Nobody's Fool

Rescued from Hades
smkie said:
you are having problems because of the scent there in the first place..you need to get them prof..cleaned..and get diligent in your housebreaking. I can house break in three days without fail and have done it a hundred times if i have done it once.. first get a leash..keep that dog next to you..the leash more for you to pay attention then the dog. take that dog out every 20-30 minutes until you are out and praising every single time..with zero accidents..that takes about one day..of course i sleep with the dog so i am there when it wakes up..and boot out the door before the dog touches the floor.(of course you go out too and if you are smart you will instruct whe4re you would prefer they eliminate) take treats..tell them they are the greatest most unique and smartest dog in the world for knowing that a good dog hikes (urinate or bm) outside and you think they are just fab...praise..when they eat..out..drink..out..keep them where you can see them every single second for 3 days and your job will be done. you are not communicating and the dog is not understanding..the house has the odor even if you clean they smell 500 times more then u do and the scent alone is enuff to trigger an accident..get the leash and a timer..buck up and get er done.
Amen, Amen, and AMEN!!! This also worked with my Dobe pup back in 1997.... although it took him about 5 days. But he was only 5 weeks old when I took him home. It worked too with Buddy who was not housebroken at 10 months. Once dogs know what you want them to do, or what pleases you, they do it. The praise works so much better than the (often late) discipline/punishment. I always found that unless you actually catch the dog in the act of any unwanted behavior, it is best to NOT give in the temptation to yell or tell him/her "bad dog".... instead, I ignore the culprit while repairing the damage or cleaning up the mess. Then, the next time he does what I want he gets HUGE praise and LOTS of love.
(edited to add: I still go out with Buddy each and every time, and still praise him for pottying or pooping. Reinforcement is important.)
Just my two pennies.
S.

nancy2394

I did the umbilical leash training, the praising, the taking out every 30 minutes, the taking out before her feet hit the floor, taking her out after she eats or drinks or after she awakens from a nap, the kennel training.... I have tried everything over and over again.

I even asked the vet about it because I've had dogs all my life and have never had a problem training one. He said there is nothing medically wrong with her she's just being difficult and that it sounded like we were doing all the right things with her to train her properly.

She learned how to sit, stay, down, paw, dance, roll over in a few hours but yet she can't seem to conform to the whole potty training thing. We get so frustrated sometimes. Everyone says to be patient that some dogs just take a little longer. But she's 7 months old now. I hope she gets the hang of it soon before I lose my mind.

She KNOWS she needs to eliminate outside. She will go almost everytime you take her out. She always gets praise and treats. We don't know what else to do with her. I have noticed she is getting better... but it's a very slow improvement. And having those other two puppies over the weekend didn't help matters because all she wanted to do was play play play and wouldn't even go when she was taken out because she wanted to get right back in and play.

I forget if I tried the natures miracle.. I've tried so many products. And the carpets have been prof. cleaned twice. We've been febreezing a lot too. I have a very sensitive nose and can still smell the urine very strong. Hubby and daughter must have plugs up their nose because they can't smell it. I'm having house guests this weekend and I am so embarrassed to have anyone here with the pee smell.

I'm just gonna keep on trying to potty train my pup because we don't want to give up on her... we love her. I know people think we're just not being consistent with the training.. but I can assure you I have taken many many suggestions and tried them without success so far. She's not confused as to what we are expecting of her. She definately knows she is suppose to go outside and not in the house. It's the same thing with the trash.. if we forget and leave the bathroom door open she is right into it and if she sees you coming she takes off like a bat out of hell to hide because she KNOWS she's not suppose to be in the trash.

I will have to try the natures miracle if I haven't already tried it... I would recognize the bottle when I see it. We're about to rip up the carpets and have ply wood floors until we can afford the hardwood we so desperately want. I wish I had the hardwood floors put in when we had the house built but we thought... nooo lets just do the carpet because the dogs will only scratch the hardwood floors and be slipping and sliding all over the place when they're playing. What a regretful decision that was....lol

Debi

I can tell you this...if there have been enough accidents, shampooing won't do a thing but clean the surface area. the urine soaks into the carpet padding, and eventually it will soak into the wood subflooring underneath. you probably know this already, but if it has reached the subflooring...all you can do is take up the carpet and have the flooring replaced. that is a porous surface, and the odor is trapped. that may sound extreme, but I know someone that had to do it to a house they purchased. I've also housetrained 2 dogs within 2 weeks. I know you're being a good friend, but I don't think I'd be taking on extra puppies to add to your problem.

lucille

I am working on housebrealing the new puppy I have also.
I chose an inexpensive solution for my home flooring. In the living room only I have carpet. The rest of the house is vinyl tile: easy to install, comes in all sorts of patterns (I chose a beige marbley one) and best of all, easy to clean.
The carpet was professionally installed but I and my son did the vinyl ourselves. Home Depot is a major hardware store here and they have different tiles on sale all the time so it was fairly cheap to do this.

I and the dogs are spending a major portion of our indoor time either in the study or the kitchen, both tiled. The bedroom, also tiled, has their wire cages with sleeping crates inside. We are not spending any significant time in the carpeted living room until the new puppy has got housebreaking down better, and for us that is not any sort of sacrifice as I like my study.

I do think that due to the fact that urine can spread out in the pad under the carpet, it is difficult to get rid of the scent entirely if there has been a lot of urine deposited because these products need to soak into all those areas.

Also for puppy sitting, the wire crates I have are 4 feet by almost 3 feet, available fairly cheap at Petco, fold out in 20 seconds, and when you can't watch the little guys every second, they are good places for puppies. I know mine enjoys his wire crate (with a plastic sleeping crate inside) because it is full of toys. When I have to shower, or do something where I want no dogs around like mop, these are wonderful, and each dog has one that stays set up in the bedroom; they stay there when I go to work until my son lets them out to play outdoors in the middle of the day.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.