What are you working on?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Merlin not being a jerk 101.

- Stop randomly peeing at the store! you KNOW better! You haven't peed inside since forever, WHYYY?? And it's not even marking, it's like HUGE just regular ridiculous peeing for no reason, even if he's been out! ugh!
Sounds like he just thinks it's ok to pee at the store :D

Dogs are weird. Fred thinks that us sitting down to eat a meal = time to go out for a wee. So we just ignore him now and let him whine, and risk him peeing himself!! Which he hasn't so far.

We are still working on NAILS GARRRR.

I've been doing a little bit every day. Clicker is deffo the way forward. I'm not allowed to hold his foot, or restrain him in any way, but we are making progress with him letting me touch his nails with the clippers, and even take a little slither off the ends :D

I'm now working on doing the same with his back feet.

I also bought a wooden dumbell yesterday to practice retrieves eventually.

And he now sits frigging pretty for everything. And it's so cute he gets given anything he wants.

Spoilt brat.

Bodhi is just working on being generally awesomesauce.

The place I go alternates rally with advanced obedience (a la competitive style obedience) on Tuesdays. I used to just go to rally, but I've started to go to obedience Tuesdays too since I figured more heeling and stuff is never a bad thing and it keeps us off the streets.

Tonight Squash completed an entire heeling exercise complete with fronts, finishes, turns, circles, and halts successfully off-leash EVEN THOUGH there was a new dog in the class he was completely enamored by and who was interested in him, too. He also held his down-stay even though that dog broke its stay to stand up and stare at him in a HEY WANNA PLAY?! kinda way.

I think... I think he might be growing up. *sniff*

I'm sure next time he'll be awful to make up for it. :p

SpringerLover

I am going to teach Frodo that flashy and fancy Fenzi rear-leg pivot. He was doing them SO well, and I think it's a space thing. The first time we worked on it, we were in the apartment complex hallway. The last two times it's been in the apartment hallway, like half as wide. Yeah...

Also, Siri has some social pressure weirdness that I haven't really felt like working on. Tonight I actually worked with her on that. She was able to line up in heel next to a wall. We did two sessions of it even! She doesn't dive onto her pedestal yet in that situation, but she more than happily plops her feet up there! Improvement! :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Yup that's a very old turn. :) We use it in Schutzhund, we can't in AKC, but many opt against it because it is more stiffly judged by many judges(if you pause at all on the turn to let the dog catch up you lose a point).

SpringerLover

Yup that's a very old turn. :) We use it in Schutzhund, we can't in AKC, but many opt against it because it is more stiffly judged by many judges(if you pause at all on the turn to let the dog catch up you lose a point).
I didn't figure she created it, I just saw her teaching it.

Frodo will likely only do APDT, where it may or may not even come up. It's been fun to teach, though! :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Oh okay, I read that as it was her turn, Sorry.

It's fun to teach, I totally agree. I would love to try using one with B but I'm not sure if he has enough rear end awareness and if its worth it yet. I'd love to see Frodos progression though!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Why am I so lost about this pivot thing? Will somebody post a video or something? I love flashy heeling bullshit!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Hmmmm I watched about the first three minutes and didn't see anything? Am I seriously missing it?! Do you have an approximate time I should be watching?

Anyway, are we talking about the turn sometimes called the "Schutzhund about turn" where the handler turns into the dog and dog moves around the handler back to heel position? That I'm familiar with.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Yes, that's a military turn as opposed to an about turn where the dog goes behind you (which I was taught as a "traditional Schutzhund turn").

The pivot is more and more popular in Schutzhund but judged harder by many, many challenge it because handlers often help the dog with a pause on the turn so in order to save points you need to not miss a beat and continue on while the dog should pivot and tuck in with one fluid movement.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yes, that's a military turn as opposed to an about turn where the dog goes behind you (which I was taught as a "traditional Schutzhund turn").

The pivot is more and more popular in Schutzhund but judged harder by many, many challenge it because handlers often help the dog with a pause on the turn so in order to save points you need to not miss a beat and continue on while the dog should pivot and tuck in with one fluid movement.
OOOOOKAY got it. I was just SO confused. :lol-sign: Got it got it.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled training talk!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Anyway, are we talking about the turn sometimes called the "Schutzhund about turn" where the handler turns into the dog and dog moves around the handler back to heel position? That I'm familiar with.
That turn was Kim's favorite APDT rally move. I have no idea why but she was just so happy every time we did that one. Big smile and flamboyant circle wag. "We're doing it we're doing it Yayyyy!" Silly dog lol.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
That turn was Kim's favorite APDT rally move. I have no idea why but she was just so happy every time we did that one. Big smile and flamboyant circle wag. "We're doing it we're doing it Yayyyy!" Silly dog lol.
Yeah that's where I've done it, in rally, and likewise, my dogs like it too! In rally I just cue for an right finish.

The first time I ever tried it, the instructor goes, "Just cue for an around finish, make your turn, and I promise the dog will be there." I was all NO WAY THAT WON'T WORK, WE'LL CRASH AND DIE. But it totally worked perfectly. :lol-sign:

Members online

No members online now.