Wrigley's turn to go under the knife....

Watts

He's getting neutered today. I"m so worried for some reason. i know it's a common procedure and all, but i'm still worried. He's my boy, we're pals, ya know? anyway, Anyone have any tips as to the care for him tonight? They say he'll be pretty weak and sleepy still from the anestesia(sp?). maybe even a little sick. I just wanna know what you guys went through when they did this for your dogs. What was more comforting for the dog, or what did you do to help comfort him? He's gonna have a big lampshade on his head, which i'm sure he'll hate, and i can't play with him outside. How long does it usually take before they're fully recovered and ready to go? They say it takes about a week, but that's what the vet says, i need some personal experiences. I hope he doesn't have to wear that lampshade too long. Maybe i'll just make him wear it when i'm not watching him. i dunno. Hopefully everything goes well today though, i guess i'm just a worried dad!

I just had my new rescue rottie spayed on Thursday and the first 2 days she was pretty much out of it. You'll need to keep your pup quiet for a least 10 days which is very hard I know. I wouldnt feed your pup for a few hours after he comes home you can give him a little water, he may just throw up but thats to be expected. AND remember he may not go poop for a few days so dont panic, Bella didnt poop for 4 days but this to is normal. Cherise the quiet time, it wont last LOL... you'll both be fine :>)

Watts

Thanks. I've read all the post-operative directions about feeding and what not. It says kinda what you said, no food for first few hours, keep them relatively calm for a few days. I'm really worried about the anesthetics. I know they're low risk, but, still a risk. I guess i just won't quit worrying til i get to see that he's ok. It's stressful though. I sound like a wus.....

yanya

My little girl Kairi (PWC) was spayed yesterday. All she wanted to do once she got home was sleep, sleep and sleep. She did however come about long enough to go outside for a potty break. Kairi's doing much better today, able to hop up on the couch and is talking to me and her Gammaw again. I'm surprised at how quickly dogs seem to get over things. Not to say she's fully healed over-night, just that she's getting back to normal.

Hope your little guy does well and feels better soon.

GSDFan05

I know it's nerve wracking to have your pup under the knife, but it's a very minimally invasive surgery, I'm sure he'll be fine. :) What time do you get to pick him up?

As for after care, really all the important things have already been mentioned, keep him quiet and be prepared for him to be 'not himself' for a day or two. If you think he may chew/lick the stitches, ask your vet for an E-collar, you DON'T want those stitches coming loose!

Let us know how he's doing, I'm sure he'll be glad to see you (through his drug induced haze :D )

Po' Wrigley. He's lucky he's not a girl--that's a much more invasive surgery. I and my clients frequently have a hard time keeping a newly neutered male from being an absolute maniac and tearing his sutures! (sp?) Some dogs take it better than others, but boys are boys. He'll be okay, I promise! ;)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for neutering your dog. It's a great thing to do not just for him, but for dogs in general. Thanks so much for doing your part to stop pet overpopulation.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
my dog was 3 months old when he got neutered (before i could take him home from the pound) and he wasn't phased by it at all. he was all wiggly and excited when the vet tech brought him out to us but fell asleep fairly soon after we brought him home that evening. he was a good boy and left his stitches alone, so he didn't need to wear a cone.

the next day he was allowed to eat and you couldn't tell he had had surgery. after abput 10 days i removed his sutures myself. :)

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I think everyone has already given you a lot of good advice. Just one thing, don't be too shocked at all the stitches! It does look quite yucky. When you bring home your dog, just set up his bed for him and let him sleep for a while (he'll probably be very drowsy). Most dogs actually cope quite well with this operation, and you probably won't have to worry about much at all.

Watts

Well, i got him yesterday afternoon at 5:30. I picked him up and he was excited to see me, but he quickly fell asleep once i got him in the car. He was obviously just worn out. I got him home and he didn't move from the kitchen floor all night except to go out and pee. He didn't eat or hardly drink anything. HE didn't seem to bother his sutures too much, but i think he was just too out of it to care at this point. But, i did make him wear the e-collar when i wasn't around him. He usually sleeps in his crate, but i let him sleep in the kitchen(i can close it off) because he doen't have much room in his crate with that collar on. So, i guess he's doing ok. I"m still worried about him. He's still not eating or drinking anything. I finally got a few gulps of water down him this morning. HE wouldn't even eat ice, and ice is one of his favorite things! Poor guy. Hope he gets feeling better soon. I guess all i can do it wait it out and keep trying to feed him and get him to drink something. He really hates that collar, he won't hardly move with it on, but when he does, he's so clumsey with it. It's actually kinda funny, but sad too. I"m not sure if he'd even bother his sutures, but i dont' want to chance it when i'm not around to watch him, so i make him wear it then. I hope he gets better soon though, him not drinking any water is bothering me. Could he possibly get dehydrated?

Your welcome for neutering him. I did it mainly for him, health reasons. Nothing inparticular, but i don't want anything to develope. Plus, our weiner dog isn't neutered and one time he was around a dog in heat, man, what an unpleasant experience. Don't worry CT, Luke doesn't know how to do it, literally. so nothing to worry about. He was bad though, whinning, panting all night. Plus, for a big dog, it can only have positive effects on thier personality. That can't be bad.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I shal follow them and keep them in mind. I just hope he gets better soon. I think he's a little bit better than yesterday, but still kinda groggy, tired, wore out, sleepy and just plain sick lookin. His eyes are all heavy....such a difference from the dog he usually is.

thanks again.

Josh

Members online

No members online now.