Samantha, the Golden Oldie

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, she wasn't mine per se, but Samantha was a regular boarder at work and quickly endeared herself to anyone and everyone she met. She was 16 when I met her, and had just recently turned 17 when her mom made the heart-rending decision to have her PTS. Sam's body just couldn't keep up with her huge heart anymore and she had a rather severe stroke a couple of weeks ago.

The thing that always sprung to mind when I looked at Samantha was "she's a game old lady". Arthritis or hip dysplasia had robbed her of most of her romping ability, but given enough time she could heave herself to her feet and get some momentum going so she could walk outside under her own steam. Her appetite never wavered; she loved her treats and had the greatest bark. She would look right at you, raise her graying head and "...ooof! ...wooof!" almost like she was giving you time to prepare. :D Sam had such a sweet and noble bearing to the end.

There were days when I had to pick her up and carry her outside--she had the entire staff wrapped around her paw and she knew it. She loved to be petted and I would always try to take at least a little bit of time each day to go to her room and talk to her. We spoiled her rotten: extra blankets, extra treats, the nicest spots to do her business in...when the lobby was closed because of a holiday, we set up her mattress out there so she could see the outdoors and keep us company while we worked. In return, she took her medicine like a champ, no fuss no muss. :)

Samantha embodied what I believe a Golden Retriever was meant to be and I know she's having a blast over the Rainbow Bridge.

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
RIP Samantha. We all love you! Atleast you know you gave her the best year befor she went to heaven. She now doesn't have arthritus or hip displaysia (spell check?).
Mandy~

bubbatd

I hope she's romping with my Goldens and having a grand time.!!! Sounds like a sweetheart !

sweetgirl

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for telling us about Samantha. I love hearing about a dog's personality. Very touching. She sounded like a real sweetheart, unforgettable. RIP Samantha.

Members online

No members online now.