Thank you and HI!

Donna Hill

Jessie, Lucy & I are from Nanaimo, BC on Canada's West Coast. We live on the No. 1 Most Desirable Temperate Island according to Conde Nast magazine!
I am an Instructor for Vancouver Island Assistance Dogs who helps people train their own service dog. I have a degree in zoology and another in education, as well as taken many Psychology courses. These all combine to allow me to teach others an effective science-based approach.

My own dogs are demo dogs to help me learn how to teach specific tasks a client may need and they also enjoy doing tricks, dog sports and going for hikes in the forest. Both dogs have very different learning styles and personalities so it gives me a broader idea of the challenges some people might face. Both dogs are rescued and mixed breeds.

I use only force free, positive reinforcement with my dogs as I have seen many dogs destroyed by using correction-based approaches. I train using principles, not methods, which means I understand the overall process of training, not just 'how to' a specific behavior. I am a huge fan of Sue Ailsby who trains that way as well.

I am co-founder of Vancouver Island Animal Training Association which uses only reward-based training.

I have two youtube channels where I share how to train service dog tasks and general dog training.www.dogvideoindex.blogspot.com

I also write a 'how to train' blog for VIAD. www.viassistancedogs.blogspot.com and write dog training articles for various publications.

Donna Hill

Members online

No members online now.