ticks - yuck, yuck, yuck!

Back in Ohio I never really saw ticks. I remember once mom pulled one off a kitten but that was it. Never saw any when I worked in a vet clinic in high school.

We brought Hudson home a week ago and I've already pulled 3 off of him. We have a vet appointment on Thursday for his 2nd round of shots and will be picking up some flea & tick prevention then. As much as I don't like the cold I'm hoping for a cold winter to kill off some of these creepy-crawlies.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
ticks are the nasty! The cold doesn't necessarily rid you of them--so I''d keep an eye out, especially with all that fluff!
I don't like topicals--but after my husband had lyme disease, it's a necessary evil in my ouse. I use Vectra 3-D on my guys, and it has worked well, where as some others have not. Just FYI.

yeah, i know it won't kill them all off, but hopefully it'll at least make a dent in the population. I'm definitely concerned about Lyme because it seems to be so prevelant in this area. I think 1 co-worker and my old bosses daughter both had it. I don't think I knew of a single person with it in OH

Barb04

Super Moderator
Having lived in NY and CT, I know all too well about ticks & lyme. I've used Frontline Plus for all my dogs for over 10 years.

elegy

overdogged
Ugh, I hear ya. I took both Collies hiking last weekend with a friend and her dog. I found one tick on Steve's face and one tick on me. My friend called later that evening to tell me she'd removed TEN ticks from her dog. They're just *awful* and we have plenty of Lyme (and some anaplasmosis) around here.

I had just treated my dogs with Frontline and I've checked them and rechecked them and not found any more, so hopefully that's all there were.

I'm hoping Frontline will work on these critters. My mom is looking into picking up some Vectra for the PupPup and giving it to us from Christmas, lol.

spiffy

Ticks are bad news!! Aside from the icky factor these pesky blood suckers are vectors of diseases. However, it would take several hours before a tick-borne disease can be transmitted to the dog thus it is imperative to remove the tick from the dog as soon as possible.

Members online

No members online now.