reccomend any wolf-dog or wolf looking dog breeders

I've been researching sibes, malamutes, wolf mixes, wolfdog for quite a while now. I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a specific breeder? I've also read about utonagans. I've also talked to a breeder, his kennel is wolfhaugen and he breeds extremely high content wolf-dogs for temperament.

ps. please stay on topic so the thread doesn't get closed. :D

Ashlea

Tell me, what temprement would that be? Shy, reclusive, distrusting of people, destructive, den building wild dogs? No one should breed these animals, as beatiful as they are. It is not a good idea, wolves are not pets. So I could not recommend any breeder to anyone, they are irresponsible in my opionion. But good luck with you search and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I would definately rather go for a dog that looks more wolfish and not a wolf mix.

Boemy

I would go with a husky or malamute. Wolves do not make good pets and the poor things should be left alone.

thanks, I was leaning away from a wolfmix, but you 2 confirmed it. Does anyone know any good husky or malamute breeders?

the utonagan is a new breed, bred to look like a wolf and this is a breeder i've been looking at. http://www.twatha-utonagan.com/

I know someone on here has a wolf-dog, if that person sees this thread, what is it like?

Last edited:

Brattina88

If anyone truely truely wants a wolf dog, I'd 100% recomend rescueing, because I don't think I could ever trust any breeder who crosses them ;)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I don't know of any husky or malamute breeders, but try checking out some dog shows in your area. That's a great place to meet good breeders. And be sure to educate yourself on the difference between backyard breeders and reputable breeders before you go looking.

My last dog was part wolf. It was such a heartbreaking experience. Every negative wolfdog quality they warn you about, he had...horrible shyness, fear aggression, food aggression, severe dominancy issues....I eventually had to have him put to sleep. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, because I loved him so much despite his issues.

mojozen

bullie lover
I just recently saw a german shepherd husky mix that looked very wolfish... I actually stopped in the middle of my walk and stared at him (but not in his eyes) and asked the 3 guys who had him what he was.

Doberluv

I agree with the other posts. A wolf is not a beneficial thing and add nothing good to the mix as a pet. They are not domestic and not adapted to be with people. Even when taken from a young pup, these animals are extremely difficult to tame. Please don't consider anything with wolf in it. I agree that it is immoral to mess with wild animals.

I also recommend that you don't go by the look of a dog, but by it's temperament and how it fits into your life style. So many people get working dogs because of their size or looks and they end up being too much dog.....to much energy and the dogs become easily bored, destructive and there are big problems. I think a mutt or some other breed to fit your life style would be the best. You can research online about various breeds and learn all you can about raising and training a pup first.

Good luck.

thank you for the advice and thanks for staying on topic.
the utonagan has absolutely no wolf in it. It was created with a combination of husky, malamute, and german shepherd. I've decided to get one of the northern breeds as the utonagan is still in the uk.

i now give this thread to whoever wants to chat on it lol

Last edited:
I had a Wolf Hybird Named Nikko due to severe inbreeding he had no spine and had to be put down by age 1 after a summer of calcium shots ..

They are wild dogs and need special care he could scale any thing, howled and yipped no barking.

Was a horrible watch dog would run and hide when something spooked him.
On leash due to allot of work he was fine and not aggressive.............

He needed a special diet and when he got sick ( father x daughter breeding)
the Vets advice was for a dog not for a wolf his advice helped kill him quicker.

My advice is to get aq LONG ccoated GSD from non show lines working lines they look very wolfish........

Here is my Nikko may he rest in peace his ashes will go with me .

http://www.casdog.com/photopost/data/500/mevinnikko.jpg

SO I got CAS that have wolf colors but not wolf features.
Big boned mastiff type dogs with crop-dock and some have wolf colors
Here is what I mean.
http://www.casdog.com/photopost/data/670/1aligets2.jpg
Dog is picture is a UKC CHampion CGC TDI ATTS FCI Tan she is after a fox thus the mean look she is also a demo dog for schools.

So I understand the want they are stunning animals just not pets

Last edited:

moe

I live in the Uk, and the utonagan is a big bone of contention here, they were split from the NI and in fact the KC have not recognised them as a breed although if you talk to the club they will say that the KC is considering it,:rolleyes: but there is a lot of argumenting going on between NI and utonagan owners as to who has the correct "breed" basically they are just cross breeds and until they come up with a realistic breed standard that details more than it should look like a wolf I dont think there is going to be any recognition, and to add I have known some Utes and NI's to have less than perfect temperment that the breeders stress so much that they have.

I would stick to either a siberian or a Malamute, so long as you can in fact handle them as they are not the easiest of breeds to own. contact the Alaskan Malamute Club of america to get a recommended breeders list.

Mo

I dont know that breed I love the look of the dogs but im havign a hard time finding any OFA titles or anything. But they are wolf like and great looking BIG dogs.....Dont mean they are not there just the websites is not too user friendly for a breeder check list.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Aurora,

Glad you decided against a wolfdog. They are for extremely experienced folks only, and should be acquired from rescue. Here's the law for your state regarding wolfdogs (source):

A person or incorporated or unincorporated organization may not harbor or move within Maryland any live wolves or hybrids, for which there is no U.S.D.A. certified vaccine against rabies, without first having obtained a permit from the Service.
And no, I don't like the long haired GSD breeder you linked to. Screams puppy farming and BYBing to me. Their "foster breeder" program gives me the creeps as well.

i don't really like her either, I only liked the good articles. And I knew that if i wanted a wolfdog, i would have to move, but thanks for the info.

Aurora, I may be the person you were thinking of.

Bimmer is a once-in-a-lifetime dog. He's a rescue - very low wolf content, I suspect and mainly German Shepherd. As wonderful as he is, I would never just recommend a wolf/dog X to anyone. You must evaluate these creatures on a one-on-one basis. There are too many variables that enter in, and I firmly believe RESCUE ONLY. The people who purposely breed wolf/dog crosses should not be encouraged in any way.

I am glad to read that you've made a very sensible and responsible decision!

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I am glad you strayed away from getting a wolfdog or cross.

The HS that I worked at here had a puppy brought in that was found on the front steps of an apartment. When they brought it in we realized that it was a coyote pup about 10 weeks old. He had a collar on him which meant he had been in captivity. He stayed at the shelter with us for a few weeks until we could find a zoo for him. In that time I had to spend a lot of time with him. I was feeding him some raw hamburger the one day and I was sitting in his cage. There was a piece of hamburger that laying about 10 inches away from him so I used my hand to push it toward him. At that very moment the coyote came out in him. He growled and snarled in their high pitched voice and came after my hand. Here was this cute little puppy that seemed so loving wanting to chomp off my hand if he had the chance. And this was at only 10 weeks old.

So even though you can take the dog out of the wild you can't take the wild out of the dog. Wild animals will ALWAYS be wild animals.;

RD

Are you dead yet?
I absolutely agree with Renee. If you think you can handle a wolf cross, I'd get in touch with rescue. The people in rescue will be able to give you not only a great description of wolfdogs and their mannerisms (they aren't like dogs . . .) but they could match you up with the best individual possible for you.

Personally, I agree with your decision. I'd go with a dog. A light-coloured German Shepherd would work. Heck, go to your shelter and adopt a shepherd/husky or shepherd/malamute mix. There are tons of them out there.

Sush

If you do decided on a wolf hybrid here is the website of a reputable breeder in Florida. http://www.wolfhybrids.com/ I know two people who ordered pups from them (not that I condone ordering a dog) but one turned out to be just an absolute sweetheart (45%wolf and the rest Malamute) while the other one was afraid of most people, VERY destructive, jumped 7 foot fences, had constant stomache isues and ultimately escaped and got hit by a car. He was 65% wolf. The lowe the percentage the better pet they can make. I wouldn't completely say wolf hybrids dont make great pets. They just dont make great pets to 98% of the people that want them.

Members online

No members online now.