Do you know people like this?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
By which I mean people who don't get their own dogs' gender right.
Like someone I know who has two females; one she's had for almost 9 years, and she always, always calls both of them "he."
She really, really loves her dogs, but. . .? :confused:
My grandma occasionally calls her girl "he" but with 6 kids plus a billion grandchildren and great-grandchildren I understand better. She also calls the dog by my name and me by the dog's name. :p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nope, not with a dog...

However, we once had somebody surrender 2 ferrets to us. They kept going on and on about how they've had ferrets for 30 years, they're awesome ferret owners, etc... Told us it was a boy and a girl. Yah, they were both the same sex (I forget which). When they found out, they were so disappointed that they (ferrets) couldn't be "girlfriend and boyfriend"

DJEtzel

Not about her own dogs, but a co-trainer and agility judge that I work with is CONSTANTY calling dogs in class, that she's taught for years, by the wrong gender, even when using the right name. :p

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I think I win weirdness story ever for this.

Wesley took a puppy social class at petco when he was little. Just a free get-together in the back room for puppies to romp about together. It was drop-in, but there were regulars. One day, a new woman showed up 15 mins late with a little white puppy, I want to say maltese. Says hello kinda nervously, says that she had gotten her from a pet store.

He has man bits. She brought him in a pink carry case, pink harness, pink leash. She put him over the fence into the puppy play area, all the puppies came running to see the new guy, and she promptly grabs him out before any of them can sniff him. Puppies go back to playing with each other. Then she puts his pink bed inside, puts him in it, puts a PINK BLANKET on top of him, puts a pink squeaky toy in with him, and all the other puppies come to see him, yaaay!

He starts growling at them because now he's freaked and has his stuff to defend, lady yanks him out. She then says 'Uhh, maybe this isn't such a good idea, I think she's nervous.'. Someone nicely suggests that she not put his stuff in and make him feel like he needs to protect it, and that she should come in with him. She's like 'Oh yeah, that'll make her-him, I keep on thinking he's a girl! Feel better. Okay'.

The dog's name was Callie. They left approximately 5 minutes later. It was surreal. :rofl1:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I think manly boys can rock pink. ;) But the owner really getting confused, lol!

I wish I could find a thread from here on Chaz. Someone started a thread asking why their neighbor's female had a penis. :rofl1:

Maxy24

No but at the daycare we have to write report cards on many of the dogs, just to say how they did and what they did while in with the other dogs. People mess up writing them all the time, so I feel like a weirdo bending over to try and find their bits before writing their report card lol. Like the other day we had a Poodle named Darwin, one of the other people wrote the cards only to realize afterwards that he was a girl, had to rewrite the whole thing.

milos_mommy

My dad calls our cats both feminine pronouns all the time, even though they're both boys and my mom/brother correct him. I don't even think he knows their names, though.

I really don't think it matters much which pronouns you use for dogs. Especially the majority of pet dogs at a park or day care or something, they're altered, they're not going to get offended or care if you use the wrong gender, and it's not like they have a gender identity to go along with it. The only place it might really matter is at the vets or something.

my MIL had a dog once, a little female mix named....Pepper, Pluto...something and she always, ALWAYS called the poor dog, "he", "him" etc.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My dad calls Zoey a 'he' all the time.

She doesn't care. She's a dog.
I really don't think it matters much which pronouns you use for dogs. Especially the majority of pet dogs at a park or day care or something, they're altered, they're not going to get offended or care if you use the wrong gender, and it's not like they have a gender identity to go along with it. The only place it might really matter is at the vets or something.
I never meant to say that people who do this are harming their dogs in some way, lol. I call Fable a long string of rude things that would get me modslapped if I shared some of them. xD
I just think it's weird, that's all. I just can't imagine not being sure that Millie and Fable are girls.

I know a handful of people who call ALL dogs and/or cats exclusively by one pronoun or the other. The people I know are completely aware of it and acknowledge that they do it regardless of their pet's actual gender, though. Just a habit thing for some people, especially if they've always had one gender or the other.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I know a handful of people who call ALL dogs and/or cats exclusively by one pronoun or the other. The people I know are completely aware of it and acknowledge that they do it regardless of their pet's actual gender, though. Just a habit thing for some people, especially if they've always had one gender or the other.
I think that's pretty common. Unless I know otherwise, my natural default is to call a dog "he." Unless it's a toy or mini poodle in which case I always think "she." :eek:

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
My dad has been calling Ollie "she" since they got him almost a year ago. The rest of us just gave up on correcting him.

Red.Apricot

I never meant to say that people who do this are harming their dogs in some way, lol. I call Fable a long string of rude things that would get me modslapped if I shared some of them. xD
I just think it's weird, that's all. I just can't imagine not being sure that Millie and Fable are girls.
I didn't think you were saying that. :]

I think it's weird too; my dad knows Zoey's female, I just think he doesn't care much.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Never with their own pet, that kind of cracks me up.

But my grandma constantly refers to my boys as "she." No, Grandma... no.

GoingNowhere

I used to have mice and for whatever reason one of them just struck me as a "he." She was technically female and it might've been that the name I picked struck me as more masculine or something (her name was Muenster and her sister was Mozzarella), but I always used male pronouns when talking about this particular mouse. I've never done it with dogs, cats, horses, nor with any of my other small animals (I've had 5 mice total and only did this with the one). I'm not sure why I didn't just keep on correcting myself until it became a habit. I'm not sure why I considered her a "him" in my brain. Don't get me wrong. I knew this mouse was female - otherwise I'm sure I would have had many many mousey babies. But for whatever odd reason, in my head, she was a 'he.' Weird? Maybe.

I'd probably judge others who do that with their dogs... but then again, I'd be a bit of a hypocrite because poor little Muenster got called a boy her whole life. Somehow I don't think she noticed or minded.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
This.
It's more habit that anything lol my mom is like this.
Her MALE dog charlie is always being called she/her...we've stopped correcting her.
He sure doesn't care lol so oh well. SHE KNOWS he is a boy but I dunno at some point in his puppyhood lines got crossed and she thought he was a she and that was that lol

GipsyQueen

Yep, I've noticed alot of people (esp. none-dog people) call all dogs "he" and all cats "she". Though I think the German language itself doesn't help generisation at all when it comes to cats & dogs.
"Der Hund" = The Dog. "Der" is male.
"Die Katze"= The cat. "Die" is female.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't know anyone like that but I have people that I have known for years that have known my dogs for years that STILL called them by the wrong genders :/, I would be rich by now ifs had a dollar for every time someone ... Even those I knew even other dog people I knew called Izze a boy.

Members online

No members online now.