Disc dog people

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I know there are a few people who play with discs. So, I took the dogs out individually, attached them to a long line, and worked on catching/grabbing the frisbee. I'm using a softer frisbee (it's not plastic it's more hard rubber) and what i was doing was just holding it and having them run, jump and grab it. then tried a couple easy catches.

How do you get a dog to get better at catching it?

Talon catches better than Artimis, though Talon I'm not letting him jump for it cause he's so young. He is more ground level catching lol

For Artimis he really has the drive to get the frisbee, which I really never thought he did! I was amazed how much he wanted to jump and get the frisbee lol So now we need to get him catchin it better.

They both do the same thing, they use their paws to sandwich it and stick it in their mouths. >_< How do you teach them to just use their mouths?

Any other hints would be cool!

I'd love to do classes, but there are none around here :(

SaraB

Rollers ;)

I know it sounds stupid but rollers help the dog learn to track and grab with their mouths. Also, do a lot of flat work like go arounds, rear crosses and ribbon work now to help your dog learn to be where you need them to be so they are more likely to catch the disc. 90% of the time dogs have trouble catching because the throws aren't ideal, so work on throwing to a target/person without your dogs.

Pawsitive Vybe has a lot of great foundation videos and even has a foundation disc dog class online. Tons of throwing drills, flatwork drills, catching drills, etc. So check them out! http://www.youtube.com/user/k9disc

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Rollers ;)

I know it sounds stupid but rollers help the dog learn to track and grab with their mouths. Also, do a lot of flat work like go arounds, rear crosses and ribbon work now to help your dog learn to be where you need them to be so they are more likely to catch the disc. 90% of the time dogs have trouble catching because the throws aren't ideal, so work on throwing to a target/person without your dogs.

Pawsitive Vybe has a lot of great foundation videos and even has a foundation disc dog class online. Tons of throwing drills, flatwork drills, catching drills, etc. So check them out! http://www.youtube.com/user/k9disc
haha, more like 99% of the time when it comes to me :p

You are awesome thank you! Those video's will keep me busy for a while! ^_^ God, I'm really falling for disc work, and both dogs seem to really enjoy it. I wish there was a class around here that offered it :( I've never done an online class before and am kinda nervous about them. I'm more of a physical learner, it can be hard for me to understand what people mean when I read things sometimes.

Anyways, Thanks!

SaraB

haha, more like 99% of the time when it comes to me :p

You are awesome thank you! Those video's will keep me busy for a while! ^_^ God, I'm really falling for disc work, and both dogs seem to really enjoy it. I wish there was a class around here that offered it :( I've never done an online class before and am kinda nervous about them. I'm more of a physical learner, it can be hard for me to understand what people mean when I read things sometimes.

Anyways, Thanks!
There aren't a lot of classes out there because you get a lot of people that want to sign up and have an amazing disc dog when their dog has absolutely no toy drive. So it's a tough class to teach.

Where are you located? The best way to go about learning disc is to join a club that has active play dates.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
There aren't a lot of classes out there because you get a lot of people that want to sign up and have an amazing disc dog when their dog has absolutely no toy drive. So it's a tough class to teach.

Where are you located? The best way to go about learning disc is to join a club that has active play dates.
I can totally understand that. I'm in the spokane, wa area so a lot of rural area's with one main ciry, which is why its somewhat tough to find classes.

SaraB

Oh trust me, there aren't a lot of disc dog classes anywhere. :)

It looks like there are couple clubs around you, the first is Disc Dogs of Spokane (they've even hosted some skyhoundz qualifiers in the past) and Woofd2 .

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Oh trust me, there aren't a lot of disc dog classes anywhere. :)

It looks like there are couple clubs around you, the first is Disc Dogs of Spokane (they've even hosted some skyhoundz qualifiers in the past) and Woofd2 .
I'm pretty sure Woofd2 is in the seattle area? I'm on the other side of the state from them unfortunately, which is a 5 hour drive. I'm trying to find the Disc Dogs of Spokane page, or number, or eamil, but for some reason I can't find much. :/ It says they hold an annual event at valleyfest, but that's not until july. hmm.. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help :D

SaraB

I'm pretty sure Woofd2 is in the seattle area? I'm on the other side of the state from them unfortunately, which is a 5 hour drive. I'm trying to find the Disc Dogs of Spokane page, or number, or eamil, but for some reason I can't find much. :/ It says they hold an annual event at valleyfest, but that's not until july. hmm.. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help :D
I would still contact them! A lot of times clubs hold events in different places, I have one friend who is in a club but most of the comps are 3 hours from her. Also, they might have the contact info for a club that is more local or contact info for a member that lives in your area that can help you get started.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
All I could find about it was the Spokane kennel club, and they seem very... pro-breeder and discourage any dogs from anything but.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I would still contact them! A lot of times clubs hold events in different places, I have one friend who is in a club but most of the comps are 3 hours from her. Also, they might have the contact info for a club that is more local or contact info for a member that lives in your area that can help you get started.
That's a really good point, I'll shoot them an email! ^_^ Thanks! :)

SaraB

All I could find about it was the Spokane kennel club, and they seem very... pro-breeder and discourage any dogs from anything but.
So? She's looking at playing disc not get breeder opinions. Why not give them a shot and see what they are like firsthand?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Yeah I'm not super suprised. Honestly, most of the dog world here is very ....... well....... same as everything else here, traditional/conservative. >_< At the dog training place Art and us went to the lady literally told me "I'd love to see a mutt win something for a change and show up some of those purebreds." Um...ok, was that a compliment? lol

But yeah, it's not that suprising ;)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
No problem. If you have any questions about disc in the meantime, let me know and I'll try to shoot you in the right direction. :)
Ok, Thanks. I'm goign to work on teaching Talon to go around, and for both ground throws to work on their catching skills. :)

Dex

I second Sara's advice on rollers, it helps teach easier tracking. Also, always avoid throwing a disc right at your dog's face when you are starting up in disc. The "go around" mentioned earlier is a great way to avoid straight on catches.

Good luck, disc is super fun!!

SaraB

I second Sara's advice on rollers, it helps teach easier tracking. Also, always avoid throwing a disc right at your dog's face when you are starting up in disc. The "go around" mentioned earlier is a great way to avoid straight on catches.

Unless you suck at throwing rollers like me. Then it does nothing for your dog. :rofl1:

I'm going to third the rollers, that helped so much with Didgie.

I also am going to echo finding a club. I looove my club so much and even though I haven't been able to go a ton the times I can I get so much out of it. And I adore the people there too, so much fun to geek out with dog people who love training, sports and dogs.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
So I didn't know, but when I went into the school's bookstore today they sold discs for dogs! So I bought one spur of the moment. What exactly consitutes a good disc for disc dog?

We have two at home, a small gel/flexible one and one you get at petsmart that's hard plastic, ick. We use the gel/flexible one the most. The one I just bought is rubber and flexible and normal size yay. The brand is Dogobie and it was on sale for $3.50 seemed like a good deal.

:eek: oops LOL

Is that so they learn to track the frisbee or just so you don't injure them? lol

Unless you suck at throwing rollers like me. Then it does nothing for your dog. :rofl1:
I think I may be in the same boat. I tried it a couple times last night in the house and it was ok, but not all that great. My poor dogs don't know what they are in for haha

I'm going to third the rollers, that helped so much with Didgie.

I also am going to echo finding a club. I looove my club so much and even though I haven't been able to go a ton the times I can I get so much out of it. And I adore the people there too, so much fun to geek out with dog people who love training, sports and dogs.
I wish other people here felt the same about dogs as I do, but most of the dog crazy people are very traditional so we butt head. >_<

This makes me miss Tacoma.....my training facility was sooo awesome there. :(

SaraB

So I didn't know, but when I went into the school's bookstore today they sold discs for dogs! So I bought one spur of the moment. What exactly consitutes a good disc for disc dog?
Depends on your dog, your throwing, the wind and other conditions!

Honestly, I really like the euroblend fastbacks, this is what our club prints their logos on and sells for pretty reasonable ($2/disc). They hold up well enough for my dogs but aren't the best for hard biting dogs that crack discs easily.

Otherwise it's just finding dog specific discs and finding which ones you like. Again, going through a club is your best bet to buy a lot for cheap. At the rate I'm going, I go through about 30 discs in 5 months or so.

Members online

No members online now.