teaching down?

The one command I've had issue with zelda on is down. She'll lay down if I touch the ground but nut unless I touch the ground. Any ideas on how to fix this?

CaliTerp07

The one command I've had issue with zelda on is down. She'll lay down if I touch the ground but nut unless I touch the ground. Any ideas on how to fix this?
You've got some options. Right now you're doing what's called "luring" (encouraging the dog to follow your hand into the desired position. If you want to get rid of the lure and put it on voice command only, I'd say whatever word you want ("down" may be polluted if you say it all the time and she doesn't know what it means), and then do the cue (touch the ground). Eventually, it will become one cue ("down, point to ground"), and she'll start reacting when she hears the words, knowing the pointing is coming.

Another option is to take her into a really boring room (I use the bathroom--small, so Lucy can't avoid me), take a clicker, and some treats. Just wait. Eventually, she'll get bored and probably lay down. Click, and give her a treat. Make her get up and wait for it to happen again. Eventually, she'll do it more and more. Once she's reliably "offering" a down, you can start to add the command word to it.

I would back track and start capturing it rather than luring it. Wait until she lays down by herself and reward. Don't name it until she is offering it consistently.

I'm on my phone, so sorry it isn't detailed

K

Kaydee

Random amusing thought on "Down", except for coming to her name and Wait, I don't do commands with Sophie. My daughter likes to try, but says too many things at the same time. It comes out garbled like Sophie sit I mean lay I mean gimme your paw no sit Sophie lay c'mon sit down.

So now Sophie has the Emmy command where she automatically sits, offers each paw, then falls with all four feet up and looks up for a treat.

Members online

No members online now.