Get back here!

Max the puppy

1 dog max the cockapoo
Is there anyway for me to get my dog to come to me when he gets something in his mouth? He gets something runs around and its very hard to get him. Is there anyway I can get him to come to me. I someitimes when I yell No! he drops it but rarley for me. Any ideas?

BagelDog

Not crazy...
I taught my puppy release. I dont really know how, but when he has somthing I want, I take on part of it and say 'Release' firmly, and he lets go. But you just have to learn that a puppy's a puppy, so there just having fun.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
maybe pm creature teacher, she's great at this stuff! :D What I do is get a really tasty treat and hold it up for him to see, and say release. Usually he is at my feet with the "nono" in about 2 seconds :) praise and give him something good to play with. good luck! Pups are HARD WORK aren't they? :D

Doberluv

I like Sunnypup's idea. There's no way you can catch him and that would make him not respect you anyhow. So, don't go after him. If you want your pup to give up something, you have to trade him for something even better. And by better, I don't mean something you think is better, but something the dog really, really loves, not some run of the mill treat. Maybe little cheese chunks or meat. And praise him in a fun way. Teach him a command. I use "give" when I want my dogs to give me something right from their mouth. And I use drop it to mean just that. You can also hand him a toy and hang onto it, then say, "give." And when he gives, praise him and give him a treat. And right away give the toy back. This way he knows that giving you something doesn't mean he won't get to have it back again. It's a game really, back and forth a few times and then let him have it for a while. Teach him to retrieve and make it fun, fun, fun....lots of praise, silly sounds and treats. In anything you do when training, make sure you're making it so that it is worth the dog's while to comply, that it is much more fun and rewarding to obey. Don't make it so that he obeys because you're angry or scolding. It works much better the other way. Good luck.

MonaD

When Murphie (4 months) gets something and runs with it, I get something else (stuffed toy, bone, rock-it doesn't seem to matter), turn my back to her and play with it like it is the most fun thing in the world. Now she may be a bit of a sucker, but she falls for it almost every time. She comes right over to investigate and see what is so cool. I then calmly say "let go" and take the item from her and replace it with what I have or something else fun. She gets praise for the "let go".
This also seems to work when I want her to come to me and she's being a stinker about it or I'm not in a position to do the formal "come" (rather than saying "come" till I'm blue in the face or begging her or whatever). In this case, there is no praise, or correction, its just neutral-like she's coming over to see what's up of her own accord. I usually toss in a "sit" or a "down" after and of course praise her like heck for that.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I sometimes try using something better to tempt them with. I've also tried ignoring them, then when they release the object, I run for dear life picking it up before they do or in the case of Max before he plows me down. Nothing like an Anatolian running for you at full force.

Members online

No members online now.