How to put weight on?

Payge

So long as everything goes well I should be able to adopt the dog I want tomorrow. Problem is they told me over the phone he is extremely underweight and I need to put weight on him asap. I'm not sure how to do that while keeping it all healthy for him? Any suggestions? Also, hes half Great Dane, and quite tall so I have to be careful about gastric torsion.

Fran27

Feed a good food, and you can add fish oil. When I got Tips he was very skinny, and he managed to get a good weight in about two months, feeding him Innova and adding half a teaspoon of fish oil every day (he was 6lbs at the time). You can add healthy things like yoghurt and a bit of meat too.

It's all I can say for now but I'm sure you will get more advice. I can't wait to see pictures of your new dog :)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Great! This is one thing I know a lot about, since my last two dogs were emaciated. First, don't overfeed. If you let an emaciated dog eat too much at first, it upsets their stomachs because they aren't used to food. Or, they can gorge themselves and make themselves sick. Since you're getting him from the humane society, I assume that he's already eating regular dog food. Serve small meals or snacks (1/2-1 cup) multiple times throughout the day. You don't need to overfeed; just give him the amount recommended for the correct weight he should be. Good luck, and congrats on your new baby!

An egg in his dog food is a good addition for good weight. Also, try Mordy's recipe for Satin Balls (I think it's on her website, which you can access from her signature) makes a great between meal snack for getting a dog into good condition.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
objection! lol :D

the satin balls recipe is not something i came up with - and i don't even endorse it all that much, since the ingredients aren't particularly great.

i agree with the advice that has been given above, don't try to put on weight too fast, especially not on a large breed dog.

ration the food, don't let him gorge on food or water, feed a good quality food and add a supplement like nupro or missing link. feed small meals often for the first couple weeks, then slowly transition to two meals a day.

you can give an egg or some cultured yogurt and cottage cheese and other extras, but i'd wait with that until he has adjusted a bit.

i'm sure he'll gain weight just fine from being fed a good quality food on a regular basis. don't worry about it too much. :)

I thought you had your own recipe Mordy :)

I did mix my bunch up a batch of treats.

Three pounds of ground beef (ours is extremely lean - from our own beef)
18 eggs
1 box of Uncle Sam cereal (wheat, flax seed and barley cereal)

You'd think I was offering them steak tartare, lol! They don't make as big a fuss as they do over their EVO, but it's a close second.

Renee750il said:
Three pounds of ground beef (ours is extremely lean - from our own beef)
18 eggs
1 box of Uncle Sam cereal (wheat, flax seed and barley cereal)

I'm going to have to try that. That seems like an awesome, healthy recipe.

Members online