I'm stumped.

Cheza

Okay so.. we swapped Cheza off Diamond Lg. Breed Puppy food over to Eagle Pack Lg. Breed puppy... and I'm at a total loss.
Cheza wont eat it... she will sniff it and walk away from the bowl unless we mix a bunch of crap in there to make it taste better (I guess?)

Can anyone make a suggestion as to a good, high quality food for a giant puppy that seems to taste really good? Cause it looks like we're gonna have to swap her again :/

Some of the brands i've been looking at are Timberwolf, Chicken Soup, and Canidae ALS.

Thanks for the help!

showpug

She doesn't have to be on large breed puppy, adult foods will work as well. Innova makes a large breed puppy and I think Canidae is great for the giants as well.

Cheza

Oh Innova... right I forgot about them lol. Canidae All Life Stages is another one we're considering... I can get ahold of just about any food here too, which is nice. Thanks for the response! :)

Cheza

I guess what confuses me is Innova's Evo is recommended for all life stages, but it has such a high protein content, and I've always been told that's bad for giant puppies. The regular Innova Large Breed looks good though.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Yeah you dont want to feed EVO to a large breed puppy, but they do have the regular Innova which is all life stages, or there is the Innova large breed puppy...

daaqa

lurking near the surface
sylvie was raised on purina and petigree, and wouldnt TOUCH eagle pack when i started switching her. she would spit it out. i just went more gradually, and as i increased her eagle pack, i would add some goodies into the mix like eggs or yogurt or broth. it took longer, but now she loves it.

Melissa_W

If Cheza is kind of a picky eater, I highly recommend getting samples. The local stores have them sometimes, and you can also email the companies for free samples.

Good luck!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Canidae has samples, I know, so you could definitely try it out!
If you really like the Eagle Pack, you can try getting a can and mixing a little bit of canned food in for a while to get her interested? We did that for Auggie (with Canidae) and now we don't need to add in the canned - once they get used to the flavour I think it makes everything a lot easier.

I guess what confuses me is Innova's Evo is recommended for all life stages, but it has such a high protein content, and I've always been told that's bad for giant puppies. The regular Innova Large Breed looks good though.
I'm totally in love with Innova EVO, but my merrick isn't getting it until he reaches two years old. It has tons of good stuff in it, .. and it makes them grow too fast. However, all the other stuff Innova has would be super.

Saje

Island dweller
Careful you don't teach your dog to be a junkfood addict. By adding 'extras' and treats you can condition them to only eat their food if it has stuff on it, regardless of the brand.

Members online