Am I just heartless?

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
There is a huge difference between a starved ad mangey dog and a dog that needs 5 surgeries to even think about a life.

Honestly starved dogs are easy fixes, it's the ones that you're playing Frankenstein with that start to make me wonder if it's the right choice, I can't help thinking how many easy fixes were killed while we focuses time, effort, and money on one dog.

A rescue here in town gets crap for "only taking in adoptable dogs" and I find it a rather strange insult.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
You're not.

I think the same thing when I see dogs with serious behavioral problems up for adoption.
the only thing I can think is.. why?
Especially the victim blaming that goes with these dogs. "Oh they sent him back because he bit the child that he was left ALONE with and who POKED HIM!"
"He was surrendered because he bit the waiter at the cafe who bent down to pet him IGNORING HIS CALMING SIGNAL AND YAWNING!"

Ok, arguably ya.. these parents/the waiter should've kept their space and the owners should've kept the dog out of these situation.. but regardless, the dog SERIOUSLY BIT a person. Calming signal or no (and this is a big one I see) no dog should be adopted out that has that low a threshold for serious biting.

There is a no-kill shelter that prides themselves on housing these dogs. The destroy the house separation anxiety case, the violent dog aggression, dangerous around children, crushing fear of people, food aggression etc..etc..

and I dunno.. but with so many dogs with great temperaments that need homes.. why take the risk?
Sure, there might be a home that CAN house a dog aggressive, separation anxiety stricken, food aggressive dog. but it just doesn't sit right with me to wait for these one in a million homes while these dogs sit somewhere just waiting. Or worse, get placed in a home that sets them up to hurt someone.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The mange cases, those with simple starvation, amputation, etc. I totally look at differently because they really are pretty simple fixes. My issue comes from the multi-serious issue dogs who often will have chronic/long term effects from their injuries/illnesses. And obviously an owned dog is different, though I do sometimes pause when a private owner starts asking for donations for their own dog's care, but that's not necessarily because of the dog's well being but the way I feel about our responsibility for our own dogs.

And Fran brought up another thing that's bothered me: placing animals with serious behavior issues, often keeping said dogs kenneled loooong term. I haaaaate warehousing.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I hate that dogs with serious behavior issues are adopted out or that the issues are downplayed. As someone who may someday be looking to adopt a dog, I would GREATLY appreciate it if the dogs sitting in the runs are considered "adoptable."

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
There is a very public known someone on FB who every week is buying something new like collars, tags, tattoos, even a car. Then every other week they're starting a chip in for their own gear and own dogs medical procedures. That infuriates me. What you do with your money is fine but once you start using and abusing the good hearted, sometimes overly trusting, many out there then you're just scum.

So, I guess it could be worse.

ACooper

There is a huge difference between a starved ad mangey dog and a dog that needs 5 surgeries to even think about a life.

Honestly starved dogs are easy fixes, it's the ones that you're playing Frankenstein with that start to make me wonder if it's the right choice, I can't help thinking how many easy fixes were killed while we focuses time, effort, and money on one dog.

A rescue here in town gets crap for "only taking in adoptable dogs" and I find it a rather strange insult.
Agreed, and especially the bold part.

If we didn't have an over population problem, if we didn't kill hundreds (probably thousands) of perfectly healthy (sometimes babies!) dogs every single day........then yes, PLEASE do everything possible to save EVERY dog.

But I really can't get behind using countless resources to TRY and save one particular dog (no matter how sad the story) when all that time and money could have saved 10, 100, or even 1000 who were euthed while 1 dog took the resources and struggled survive :(

If that makes me heartless, then I'll take the label and be in good company.

Red Chrome

There is a rescue close to here that primarily pulls dogs with heart wrenching stories. The woman doesn't work and literally lives off the adoption fees. She always has a "rare" Breed and charges upwards of 400$ for adoption fees. She also adopts out dogs with temperament issues and ones that need extensive care. I loathe this rescue as do other reputable rescues.

I have a hard look on rescues and rescue dogs. Unfortunately for ME they need to be exceptional to be adopted out. I will not donate to pity cases but will to normal cases.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
There is a very public known someone on FB who every week is buying something new like collars, tags, tattoos, even a car. Then every other week they're starting a chip in for their own gear and own dogs medical procedures. That infuriates me. What you do with your money is fine but once you start using and abusing the good hearted, sometimes overly trusting, many out there then you're just scum.

It gets on my nerves too signing on every time and seeing them asking for yet another thing.

If people want to donate though, then whatever. It's their money.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
It gets on my nerves too signing on every time and seeing them asking for yet another thing.

x3

Drives me nuts. Before I'd ever ask for help on anything, I'd be selling the (many) valuable things I've seen them share on FB.

Its hard for sure and sadly, enough "bad" rescues exist that can taint the rest.

For me, it all comes down to long term prognosis, dogs age and their spirit. A good rescue will let dogs go when its too much...but too much is going to be different for each dog and each rescue. Yes, some rescues do specialize in hard cases, not for the publicity (well, some might) but because they are actually GOOD at it and can heal dogs.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
That's a good point about dogs with serious behavior problems too... WHY risk adopting them out, and giving them so much TLC, when countless puppies and super friendly dogs are dying needlessly? :(

The real truth is, a very small number of people are willing to train a dog with serious issues. At most you might find some one willing to manage an aggressive dog - but we all make mistakes, and the moment that person leaves their dog in the yard alone, drops the leash, or makes a bad call, an innocent person or dog could suffer greatly! My friend graduated from Penn & Foster dog training school (impressive, I know! lol) and convinced her boyfriend to adopt a SERIOUS resource guarding Whippet mix. The rescue stupidly let her take him, convinced that she was a "dog trainer", although she's done nothing more than read a binder full of outdated, like from the 80's, basic training print outs. They employed Cesar Millan methods to "rehabilitate" him, which admittedly is stupid AF but much more than 90% of people would even attempt, and 2 years later this dog is living in a constant state of fear, terror and stress. My friend and her boyfriend resent him and regret every adopting him, and he lives much of his life in a crate. He has bitten every single person he's met. He's the only dog who has ever bitten me out of thousands, and I didn't do anything to deserve that! He is a timebomb who luckily isn't big enough to kill some one, but if he was a big dog, he'd be lethal. That dog should have been PTS. It would've been much kinder to him!!! If not, given to a certified behaviorist to help him, but the odds of that are very slim. The funds and time and people just aren't enough to save dogs with serious issues, and I feel it's more humane to put them down than to put them through a life of stress & suppression & risk the safety of the public.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I do tend to agree.

I will say, for my own dog, I'd definitely go to extreme measures if it meant he had a chance at a healthy life still, or a decent quality of life. Of course I wouldn't let him suffer, but I definitely would go to great lengths to help him.

When it comes to dogs who may or may not have a home anyways, and are sitting in a shelter, etc, it's a tough call. I don't think it's cruel to humanely euthanize though.

But then again, you do read of stories of very happy dogs who were not going to be given a chance, and then they ARE given a chance, and end up living very happy lives in great homes. Hard to say.

But I totally get what you're saying and agree.
This sums up how I feel!

Sometimes (and for many reasons!), euthanasia is best, imo. It makes me sad to see shelter/rescue animals in extreme pain with their lives prolonged when they will never feel completely better. It's one thing if the animal is in a loved home with owners who can afford to get them the care that's needed... but if the shelter/rescue funds could be used for other things, it's hard to not think about that.

Lyzelle

I don't mind euth'ing, and I think it is very realistic to consider that possibility to curb numbers, keep easy fixes available, and more tormented dogs at peace. I do think it's cruel to keep a dog alive for a crapshoot.

When considering realistic euth'ing, I think you also need to view the dogs in realistic possibilities. Yeah, sure, the dog chased a kid and knocked them down. Would that dog be loads better in an active home with basic training? Definitely. Is mange an easy fix? Totally. Should a dog be kept alive when it spends every moment of every day in constant fear, anxiety, frustration, and would only be happy with one person in a home that never changed in the middle of no where? No. That's highly unrealistic. Same with putting a dog through many expensive, extensive surgeries. It's just unrealistic.

Now, some things like broken bones or maybe individuals that would need more extensive training than the average joe is used to....kinda on the fence. If they were great individuals for adoption otherwise, sure, go for it. But not when the odds are so stacked against a dog.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

x3

Drives me nuts. Before I'd ever ask for help on anything, I'd be selling the (many) valuable things I've seen them share on FB.
Yep. But as long as people will condone it, with either donating money or the companies giving them free products, they'll keep doing it.

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Personally it makes me sad for the dog when people go for quantity of life over quality of life.
Sorry I'm confused. Do you mean like adopting a younger, healthy dog, even though the older one who needs some food and a bath might be a better fit? Because that does bother me. I've seen a lot of beautiful dogs not even given a second glance because their coat was matted. Then those same people adopt a dog that barks at everything that moves, while the dirty dog just lays there wanting love.

Sorry, end rant.

StillandSilent

Gambit should have been euthanized. The rescue knew full well, and was not honest with me about, that he was feral until 10 weeks, was part (probably half) coyote, had spend the past 5 months in a 10/10 kennel with only his littermates for company, and had very slim chances of living a normal life.

They adopted him to me anyway. Now I have a semi-feral, human reactive, needs medication to be able to leave the house and function seminormally in familiar places coydog. Do I love him? With all my heart. He's funny, loving and a really cool animal. Having him is a steep learning curve.

99% of homes would have either bounced him or had him euthanized by now. There have been days when I've considered it, and wondered about his quality of life.

Members online