long or double coats

what are double (or long, i dont know) coats? i hear about alot of dogs having them but i could never figure out what they are. and i also heard if they have double coats then the the undercoat should be stripped in the spring. what does that mean?

bogolove

This website may help you.

http://www.critterhaven.org/prosandcons.htm

Some double coated dogs include the Samoyed, Collie and Sheltie. You can rake the undercoat in the summer, I think, in order to avoid overheating and such if you live in a hotter climate. The website will explain a lot of that though. It gives you the pros and cons of shaving a double coated dog.

awesome that helps alot but i still have the question about what is a double coat? the the whole thing about undercoat and stuff. and would it be a good thing or a bad thing if you gave a dog like a west highland terrier a snip? not shaving ut just cut it so its still has some hair but not as much.

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and she has a double coat. What that means, is that she has downey, shorter hair near her skin, and, longer, coarser hair on top of that. It is a little harder for grooming, requiring more brushing. :D I don't mind though, because when I'm done bathing and grooming her, she looks so pretty, and feels soooo good!!! ;)

Members online

No members online now.