I have dog want... BAD. Help?

FG167

My landlord told me they just wanted to be told if I added any pets so as not to catch them off guard. I have a backup place I could move to but would rather not. My lease here is up for renewal in october so if I want to move then I'd have to then.
Why don't you ask them about adding another? Maybe they'll just say "oh neat, what kind of dog?" and you'll be all clear?

ETA: We're currently in a rental in the middle of a city that allows our dogs and we are shortly moving to TN and found a rental there that allows all of our dogs as well, with a huge (almost an acre!) fenced yard. I think you can do it :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I guess if I were you I would look and see if the right dog pops up. If not then you wait, but look. Because when you're looking with a real "I can actually take this dog home" vs. "I'm just looking"...well for me that tightens the criteria quite a lot and the field of prospects narrows considerably. If there's still a standout and you're ready...go for it. It's your dog, your life, not your family's.
If I get the go-ahead, that's probably going to be the plan. I do need to put a little more time into it this go around. My last two dogs were pretty much the first dogs I got offered.

You'd totally be the perfect home for a little Pip, too. Mom's looking for a sports home for her, if we're gonna rehome her.
She's adorable too! I've loved all the MAS I've met.

Why don't you ask them about adding another? Maybe they'll just say "oh neat, what kind of dog?" and you'll be all clear?

ETA: We're currently in a rental in the middle of a city that allows our dogs and we are shortly moving to TN and found a rental there that allows all of our dogs as well, with a huge (almost an acre!) fenced yard. I think you can do it :)
Thanks! I'm super nervous about asking the landlord for some reason! I have no idea why. I think I'm scared they'll say no way. But I should find out before my lease is up in October so I can decide if I need to pursue finding a new house to rent. How did you go about finding a place to rent with all your dogs?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Yeah if I just brought one home, I know it would work out fine one way or another. Why can't I just bring myself to do it?

My two are perfectly fine right now though and show no signs of needing to quit. I don't know what I'll do if I have to call it quits with one of them.
Because you're like me and you want everything to be perfect. I got a new job so i could afford to move out and get puppy, hours got cut at work and now i'm broke again with no puppy. And really if it was a small dog i would probably have just said "I'm getting a puppy" and brought one home, but noooo I have to go and decide that I probably want to get a FCR for my next dog instead of a small. Jeeze, why do i want a big black dog again?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I have my spreadsheet and dates on it to when I get enough to put a good downpayment on a house and then have enough savings leftover to get a puppy and still have my emergency funds... But honestly, the only reason I care about buying a house is to have a dog. Which strikes me as being somewhat backwards.

I'd be fine with a non-bc for the next dog as long as it was a herder that fit in well. I really need to take more risks. I ended up with two papillons because I wanted to go with what I knew would work absolutely.

BostonBanker

I think part of it is just my fear that Summer is old and Mia has bad knees and what if a year from now I have no dog to train with? I'm not that social and a lot of my new friends since moving have been from agility and dog class. That's a lot of what I do outside of work (that and church group).
Honestly, it amazes me how much you sound like me sometimes. My biggest push for getting Gusto was my fear that Meg would want to be done agility before I had another dog actively training. My agility world is most of my social circle, and most of my fun time. I'd be kind of lost without it.

For what it is worth, I'm really impressed that you do think this stuff through so carefully. I know how tempting it is when you are ready and your life isn't.

If it were me, I'd hate to have to consider putting off my real dream dog even longer so that I could have something now. So, what I'd have to really be thinking is "do I want to go to four dogs". If you got a young adult now (which it sounds like that is the only option for your rental), you are still looking at probably 1 - 2 years before it is ready to compete. So you'll have a young, relatively new to competition dog at the same time you are getting your dream puppy. That means a minimum of 2 dogs in classes, possibly 3 or 4 depending on where Summer and Mia are in their lives and how they are doing.

I probably overthink all this stuff.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
All I have to say is... I am not an impulsive person either. I overthink things. I talk myself out of just about everything.

Payton was me being impulsive.

I don't regret it.
*whistles*

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Honestly, it amazes me how much you sound like me sometimes. My biggest push for getting Gusto was my fear that Meg would want to be done agility before I had another dog actively training. My agility world is most of my social circle, and most of my fun time. I'd be kind of lost without it.
Great minds? Or at least over-analytical minds think alike. :p

For what it is worth, I'm really impressed that you do think this stuff through so carefully. I know how tempting it is when you are ready and your life isn't.
Thanks! It is very tempting and has been tempting me for a long while. I do take getting a dog very seriously.

If it were me, I'd hate to have to consider putting off my real dream dog even longer so that I could have something now. So, what I'd have to really be thinking is "do I want to go to four dogs". If you got a young adult now (which it sounds like that is the only option for your rental), you are still looking at probably 1 - 2 years before it is ready to compete. So you'll have a young, relatively new to competition dog at the same time you are getting your dream puppy. That means a minimum of 2 dogs in classes, possibly 3 or 4 depending on where Summer and Mia are in their lives and how they are doing.

I probably overthink all this stuff.
That is one big thing I've thought of. Right now both my dogs LOVE classes so I'd continue classes with them until they tell me they don't want to continue. So at least 3 dogs in classes right now, which would be quite a bit. Plus the fact that both my current dogs are back at the beginning as far as agility training goes. But Summer is training for fun and who knows what will happen with Mia. That fact is always in the back of my mind.

I think an adult would be a better option for my work schedule and then also to hopefully increase the odds of getting a sound dog (I could get hips/knees looked at on an adult, which would be a relief for me).

I wish I could get into rally like I love agility but I just can't so much. The people I know best are all agility folk too.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
If I get the go-ahead, that's probably going to be the plan. I do need to put a little more time into it this go around. My last two dogs were pretty much the first dogs I got offered.
And yet they turned out pretty well anyway ;)

but noooo I have to go and decide that I probably want to get a FCR for my next dog instead of a small. Jeeze, why do i want a big black dog again?
Why? Because they are awesome of course
Mira sez she has a teddy bear to help you feel better...

Brattina88

Sheltie Sheltie Sheltie

... or Pip... just sayin'

:pop-corn: I am no help lol... I have the wants, but not realistic wants. I am far too busy right now, and I find myself having to seriously prioritize now, so I'm not considering adding another for quite some time. But you sound in a much better position :lol-sign:
You also sound like me... I over-analyze everything. Bailey was my most impulsive decision, ever (and I was actively researching and looking). I don't regret it for a second ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You guys really are enablers! I do really want to hear the good and bad and see if there's anything I haven't thought of. Maybe I do just need to get the go-ahead from the landlord to ease that weight then go from there. I don't think it'd happen until this winter/next spring at the earliest even if I did get an okay.

I'm not actively trying to enable you... but if I wanted a third dog for as long and consistently as you have, at some point I would need to just stop wanting and start getting or I'd make myself insane.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay so... how to talk to the landlord? Would you explain the situation some or just ask 'Can I get a third small dog?'

Well, it sounds like there has been some sort of conversation about the possibility already? I would probably say something like "Hey I wanted to just double check with you about the possibility of adding a third small dog in the next X months. I know you had mentioned you wanted to talk about it before I made any plans so I wanted to check in with you first about it before I started seriously looking."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well we hadn't really talked specifics but when I signed the pet policy the landlord had just said that they want to be informed about any pets. Told me a story about a tenant they had that snuck a rottweiler in.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I just wanted to pop in and say that BC's really aren't that big... If you decided to go through rescue, you could look for a smaller, sportier type BC which probably would be around 40 pounds. Or does your rental have a weight limit?

Just planting that there, in case they don't. ;)

Also, I agree with everyone. If your landlord says it is okay, I'd just start poking around on Petfinder or whatever and if it the right time, something will fall into your lap and if not, it won't or it won't work out.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm always an over-analyzer as well. I sent in an adoption app for a dog on a whim that caught my eye and I just got off the phone with his foster home and am waiting for the rescue to give me the go-ahead. So, I'm an enabler. If it is right, it's right. /nonsense talk.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Sorry... I'm no help either... Depending on who is born in September I may be holding on to a new hopeful. I keep telling myself my oldest are getting older and I need to plan for the future. lol

Members online

No members online now.