Is there a way to grow coat?

Toller_08

Kind of an odd question, but Dance is showing next month and has decided that it's time to get rid of her coat. Not really a reason for it either. If anything she should be getting fuller since it's almost winter. I can show her out of coat of course, but the thing is, she's still in a gangly teenage phase and having no coat along with that isn't very pretty.

I'm hoping by the time the show comes around (very end of November) she'll be back in coat, but if not, are there any supplements I can give or something that will help grow it? I've yet to have the chance to show her in coat, she always loses it right before, lol.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
google "how to grow hair on a doorknob" and you'll find an inside tip!

also: get the hair out ASAP if she is losing it...I forget which makes it come out warm or cold....but one does the trick and rake and blow her with the dryer. The sooner it all leaves the sooner it will come back.

The other option is trying to get her to keep it which is much, much harder...and would involve her spending a lot of time outside. Indoor dogs have a hard time with coat many times...esp in winter where our lighting schedules flip flop the sun.

has she been in season recently? if not she might be about to come in...likely JUST in time for the show!

Toller_08

Thanks you guys!

Now I have to see if she can eat PB with her sensitive stomach. I hope so, and I hope it works. If not, it's not the end of the world, but she isn't very attractive bald.

Edit: didn't see the rest of your post HBH! She just came out of her season Sept 14th... so about a month ago. I'll give her a good grooming this evening and try to get all of it out I think. She spends a fair amount of time outside already, so I'm not sure having her out more will work. :)

Last edited:

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I'm with HBH on the get her coat out asap.

If the show is at the end of November, she'll more then likely be bald, but in that stage where hair is starting to grow back.

Trying to keep her coat in is VERY hard for another month and a half - TRUST ME.. dealt with a LOT of double coat disasters around show time LOL

Riot always LOVED to blow his coat out around mid-August so he'd be bald for the indoor shows... *rolls eyes*.. it worked to his advantage though, he always seemed to place better bald LOL I remember his first time back from the cottage he was at Pine ridge and took BOB, then at his next show (I think it was in Belleville) he took Best of Opposites over Specials.

More then likely, if she is blowing her coat, everyone else is going to be bald in the ring(maybe not the boys though).

I'd guess that she is coming into heat though.. I know.. not a good thing to tell you eh LOL

Which classes do you have her entered in for the show? If you enter her in the puppy classes(depending on her age), sometimes the judges will understand the gangly stages.

Toller_08

Thanks Jenn. :)

Which classes do you have her entered in for the show? If you enter her in the puppy classes(depending on her age), sometimes the judges will understand the gangly stages.
She's in Open, as she'll be just shy of 20mths by then. She's from pretty slow maturing lines though, so I'm sure I have at least another year before she starts filling out much at all.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
ahh well, the slower the better.

Riot was completely filled out until about 2.5yrs old...

if she has a nice gait and structure - nows a perfect time to show it off :)

(I haven't seen new pics of her btw.. get moving lol)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
much fluffing and bodifier LOL. Try the doorknob stuff tho!
seasons will do it EVERY time! All my intact girls blow it about a month or two after.

Sada

Setterz are Betterz!!
I have heard people mention both the Hair on a door knob and Inflight. I have never used either but alot of people think that they work.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Showstopper is supposed to work. It works fabulously on my friend's collies and her mom's beagles, and her friend's collies, but it didn't do much for Strider. Oddly enough some other borzoi people said it didn't do much for their dogs either, so maybe different breeds do better on different supplements.

We've got him on solid gold seameal right now, and it's helping his coat out a lot.

Members online

No members online now.