Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers.. anyone..

Athe

They are nice small compact Retrievers. They do require grooming, but, are not as heavy coated as a Golden Retriever. We have a lot of NSDTR in my area, they are very popular.
Here is some information about them. :)

Origin: Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, is the home of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, for many years one of Canada's best-kept secrets. Tolling is a technique used to entice game to approach within firing range by arousing their curiosity. It's a trick used by the fox and when hunters saw how well the on-shore antics worked, they developed a dog to do the same thing. The Tollers were a mixture of retrievers, spaniels and setters with a possible farm collie cross thrown in. The breed was perfected in the latter half of the 19th century and was known as the Little River Duck Dog. After many generations of pure breeding, it was recognized by The Canadian Kennel Club in 1945 and christened the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

Temperament: Highly intelligent and easy to train, the Toller has already made a name for itself in obedience competition. His playfulness, a part of Tolling, also makes him an entertaining companion.

Activity level: A dog of great endurance, the Toller is also a strong swimmer and a natural retriever, both on land and water. The breed likes to work and should have lots of outdoor exercise.

Height/Weight: A medium-sized sporting dog, male Tollers measure 19-20 in (48-51 cm) at the shoulder and weigh from 45-51 lb (20.5-23 kg). Females average 1 in (.5 cm) less and weigh 37-43 lb (17-19.5 kg).

Coat: The Toller wears a medium-length, water-repellent double coat with a softer, dense undercoat.

Colour: Tollers may be various shades of red or orange with white markings on the chest, feet and the tip of the ever-wagging tail.

Grooming: Grooming consists of frequent brushing to remove dead hair and keep the undercoat free of mats.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
They are also very smart dogs!! I was looking into getting one before i checked out Belgian Tervurens. THe only reason why I didn't get one was because I wanted a bigger dog, something I could do police work with. lol

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
they are becoming increasingly popular I believe.. they aren't very popular around here though thats one reason I want one. I have been hearing alot of negative stuff about them though and its worrying... I need to meet some. Athe, where do you live so I can come and see all the tollers? Hehe. Yeah they are definately pretty though but I want to be sure I'm getting a dog with a good temperament too! Thanks for all the feedback :D

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I've never even seen one in person and I they aren't popular at all around here..its all Labs, Pointers, Retriever, and other breeds like that around here.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
really good temperment dogs. one of the dogs that we were looking at. the thing that stopped us from looking further was because it needs more exercise that we can give it on a daily basis, but that is just our situation. good luck.

bubbatd

The first once I saw I loved !!! Now I'm seeing so many with pink pigment .... something neither sides usually have, Is this accepted ??? I wonder if they are already over breeding them !?

Athe

I live next to the province where the breed orginated. They are a dime a dozen here :) We actually had a few at the Vet clinic picked up by the SPCA and given away to good homes.

Athe

The first once I saw I loved !!! Now I'm seeing so many with pink pigment .... something neither sides usually have, Is this accepted ??? I wonder if they are already over breeding them !?
Most purebred dogs are being overbred. The NSDTR is not as overbred as some of the other Retrieving breeds. As for the pink pigment...the nose, lips and eye rims are supposed to be flesh colored, or they can blend with the coat...black is also acceptable. :)

B

BlackDog

I'm suprized at so many people saying they have many of them around their area. Where I live no one, and I mean NO ONE, has even heard of this breed before. This even includes pet stores and amoung other people that are suppose to have a small amount of knowledge on dog breeds. They are like "Nova Scotia what?"

I think they are beautiful breed and because of that and the fact that they are a retriever they will get alot of popularity in the future. That will attract a high demand which will attract profit breeders. Then the breeds health and temperament will go down hill and people will give the blaim that on them being purebred. In the end, giving more fuel toward designer mutts for high prices.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. My point is be a responsible dog owner. Pick the breed the truely suites for life style. You can't expect to change for the dog. It just doesn't work. This is a very HIGH energy breed. Keep that on the top of your list.

Members online

No members online now.