I need to brag

Fran27

So, I got Tips on Saturday. For the first two days, he kept peeing and pooping in the room. Saturday night was a nightmare, he cried and cried and barked for an hour, my husband got annoyed, put him in the cat carrier and in the bedroom with us, which calmed him down. No accident during the night. Sunday he was still peeing and pooping in, I took him out every 1 hour, sometimes with Boris but mostly alone. I managed to teach him sit in two attempts, and as he keeps following me to sit at my feet 'come' is coming very well, too. Sunday night, we tried putting him in the carrier with us and it was awful, so we just put him back in the crate in the other room (where he goes by himself to sleep during the day), and he complained for 10 minutes then stopped. He woke up at 5am and started barking again, so I got up and took him out, and then he peed outside for the first time. He got praised a lot, I put him back in the crate, he complained 10 minutes and stopped.

Yesterday, no accident. I don't even have to leave him in the crate to prevent them, he just stays and plays in his pen, and I take him out after every nap every 2-3 hours, and he just pees outside. He poops outside 10 minutes after his meals too. I had to go out for 3 hours and left him in the crate, he wasn't complaining when I left, and there was no accident either. Last night we went to bed, he cried 10 minutes then nothing at all.

I got up this morning woken up by the cat (figures, LOL), and I actually woke him up. Took him outside with Boris again, they both peed, fed him, then took him out again and he pooped. They're much better outside together and now it's sometimes Tips that goes after Boris to play. I only leave them 5 minutes at a time because of the heat though. I had to take a nap today and just left him in the pen for 2 hours, almost no whining, and no accident. Then I just opened the play pen door and him and Boris followed me outside, peed, then followed me to the room again (they have to cross the house).

Tips sits on demand, and always comes, too (but that's because he's always following us around anyway). I'm working on down. He's 2 months and 2 days now, I got him for 3 days and he's doing better than Boris did at 4 months. I am so proud of him. Is it always so easy when you already have a dog? I know the battle is not lost, and I still have to work on the leash (I will probably start in a few days, hopefully it won't be as hot), and seeing how he just loves following me it shouldn't be too hard, but he seems so smart, and so eager to please us, and when he looks at me there is just love in his eyes. I'm totally in love with that little guy :D I'm really looking forward to getting the rest of his shots done so I can start showing him around and socialize him more. The good thing is that he has already met over 30 people and over 20 other dogs when he was at the rescue.

Doberluv

It sounds like he's doing great! He must be a little doll. When can you post pictures? Can't wait. How does Boris like him? Socialize him still, even though his shots aren't finished. Just be careful where you take him. (not too crowded and only dogs that you know who are vaccinated) That is soooooo important to keep that up so he'll be confident and well adusted. Good luck...keep us posted on how he does! Congratulations on your new puppy.

He sounds perfect!

It is easier with an established dog to show the new pup the ropes. I freely admit that Bimmer is the only reason Shiva and Kharma have any manners at all.

Fran27

I think I jinxed it, lol! He's still good about everything, just tonight he was in his pen and wouldn't stop complaining. Even when we were with him in the room next to the pen. I put him in his crate eventually after taking him out to pee, then left the room after a while to go in the bedroom (just the opposite room), and he just started whining and barking for an hour... I managed to fall asleep, but not my husband, and he woke me up at 1am saying he was fed up and was going to put him in his carrier in the basement. Of course, I didn't want that, so we argued, so now he's watching tv and I'm trying to make Tips stop barking by telling him 'no whining' or 'no barking' when he starts whining and barking but of course it's not working... I don't think he has slept in like 7 hours now... and now I don't know when I will manage to fall asleep again. And I have no idea why he's doing that, it's not like he's alone or anything. It's like he can't stand the crate/pen anymore. Argh. Oh well Boris did that too, just my husband is so impatient about that stuff...

I put pics in my album. Boris likes him way too much, he won't leave him alone when he's out of the pen, and I think he's too rough (nibbling at him, pushing him around), so I only let them play for 5 minutes before I put Tips in his pen again. I'm not sure when I will feel comfortable letting them together more than that though :( They still play together when Tips is inside the pen, and Boris goes to sleep next to him a lot.

Still no accident in the house in 2 days though. I took him to the vet today for a check up and he didn't find anything wrong, he's just a bit too skinny so even though the stool analysis was negative for worms he gave me some medication anyway.

So, I guess that other than that whining and barking issue, everything is fine.... And oh my god he finally fell asleep, going to see if I can as well now :)

Members online

No members online now.