The Venting Thread

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Sometimes there absolutely is, and sometimes if you can suss it out there's a solution possible even if the pet doesn't stay in that home. But some people won't open up. Sometimes it's just a matter of differing values, though. "This cat/dog is too hard, time for a new model." Sometimes the owner genuinely cares but doesn't have the emotional or financial reserves, or time, to deal with it. I'm taking care of a cat in my home right now that was signed over to our clinic and has fatty liver basically because her owners work schedules radically changed and no one noticed she was hunger striking, then didn't have time to take care of her. It happens.

I guess that turned into sort of a vent, lol.
So frustrating. :( I don't really get too worked up over it normally because I know it's just the way some people are. It just depends on the situation though. I feel like pooping outside the box is relatively easy to deal with, lol annoying of course, but meh it's just poop. My cat poops behind the couch sometimes. =P Maybe that's what makes it more frustrating, having a pet with the same problem and just being like wtf.... I would never euthanize him for that.

Of course there could be more to the story too. Maybe he had a wife at home that was sick of it and wanted the cat gone. I just feel like there has to be some explanation to why you would cry and seem so upset and yet... don't want to explore other options.

We had a dog turned in with a similar story. Owner was moving, thought it was cruel to surrender his 12 year old dog and wanted our shelter managers opinion. XD Seriously... the dog is fine other than being 12!!!
Take your 12 year old dog with when you move, that would be my opinion. :p

crazedACD

We had a dog turned in with a similar story. Owner was moving, thought it was cruel to surrender his 12 year old dog and wanted our shelter managers opinion. XD Seriously... the dog is fine other than being 12!!!
Had a family drop off their father's six year old Labrador to be euthanized when the father went into a nursing home. I know there are differing opinions, but I would honestly give a youngish purebred a chance at the shelter. If he doesn't get adopted there, at least there is still the same end result. Everyone at the clinic like it, but had no problem doing it. I was surprised no one in the clinic even thought about boarding, trying to foster or something. I was renting at the time with roommates and really couldn't take him myself (I had about two minutes to decide before they euthanized him :/). People suck.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Take your 12 year old dog with when you move, that would be my opinion. :p
That is my opinion too, but between euthanizing a perfect good dog and surrendering it to a shelter... surrender the dog!! We get senior dogs every now and again and they don't normally stay as long as the younger/trouble dogs.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Seizure meds can take a bit of time to take full effect. Have they discussed coupling the pheno with potassium bromide?
She had only been on the phenobarb a week (yesterday) and are just now doubling it. The one she had tonight looked somewhat like the grand-mal from the other night, but she was able to get up and walk away from it and is now toddling around the room again, so it was much milder than the last one.

I'm going to call them when they open on Monday and see what to do next. She did mention having to perhaps try the potassium bromide with the pheno if doubling it doesn't work. :(

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Will they be checking her levels at any point? Once the first several weeks are past, a levels check might help them adjust as needed. Right now she's probably not even up to the full impact of the doubled dose since you JUST upped it. It's not instant by any means.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I knew it wouldn't be instant, but it went from very small seizures to grand-mals all within a week... :(

Vet said we'd do a levels check once she went a month with being seizure-free.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
That could be part of the "normal" seizure threshold - it tends to lower the more they have (aka kindling iirc). Once the meds kick in, the pattern should moderate.

That being said, when pheno didn't control Oreo's seizures we added in potassium bromide and it was a miraculous change - went for clusters every month to every 2-3 months! When we changed her food to a higher quality one, she had a "healing crisis" and we ended up dropping the pheno completely and she racked up looong seizure free periods (1-4 years). She would have about 6 full grand mals in 36 hours when she clustered.

If he doesn't get adopted there, at least there is still the same end result. Everyone at the clinic like it, but had no problem doing it. I was surprised no one in the clinic even thought about boarding, trying to foster or something..
See, if the family had somewhat of a relationship with the dog but couldn't keep him, aside from rehoming him themselves I'd rather be there with the dog and have him PTS. The other option is sit him in a shelter for weeks and then allow a stranger to be holding him while he is PTS. Both option suck, don't get me wrong.

My mom has two 13 yr old dogs. If she passed away today I would probably have one of them PTS. She's dog selective and she's 13 yrs old, plus has severe separation anxiety. I'd rather know her last minutes were spent being with someone she knows than waiting to see if she would get adopted.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
That could be part of the "normal" seizure threshold - it tends to lower the more they have (aka kindling iirc). Once the meds kick in, the pattern should moderate.

That being said, when pheno didn't control Oreo's seizures we added in potassium bromide and it was a miraculous change - went for clusters every month to every 2-3 months! When we changed her food to a higher quality one, she had a "healing crisis" and we ended up dropping the pheno completely and she racked up looong seizure free periods (1-4 years). She would have about 6 full grand mals in 36 hours when she clustered.
I hope it is lowering her threshold. Seizures such, and they're scary. Though... have to at least have a bright side at this point. Random people keep asking me if she's got a brain tumor. :(

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Back in my day!! GET OFF MY LAWN!!! LOL I yell it at my younger cousins all the time.

I don't think its that this generation got it 'right', there was a lot teachers and parents did WRONG and a lot of it is changing for the better.

yea, I agree participation trophys are a bit silly, but I think instilling confidence, positive learning techniques and reinforcement is important and I love that parents are getting more in on that.

They do participation ribbons with DOGS now! There was some dog expo I went to where Jack got a participation ribbon. :rofl1:

When I worked at the horse barn I saw some very "interesting" parents who brought their kids to ride. Parents who were genuinely upset that we could not rearrange our public ride schedule around their kid's nap. Yes, lady, I'm going to bump allll these other people who planned ahead to keep your kid's schedule. Parents who had to be told over and over and over again that their kids CANNOT run in the barn before absently reprimanding them (with the kids ignoring them of course) and then going back to talking to the other parent there. Moms of screaming toddlers saying "Now is you don't stop that you aren't going to get to ride the pony." The kids never stopped and the moms never kept them from riding said pony. Even the pony would look at them like "We all know that's not true lady, put your screaming offspring on my back and lets get this over with."

I think that kids are the same, but parenting and the way society treats kids changes through the generations.

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
My dog is getting old and it sucks :(

He went with me to Bass Pro and fishing today and he chased the ducks and tried to eat the fish we caught, but he wouldn't swim in the water after the ducks like he used to :(

My baby is not allowed to be aging like this....I'm starting to think he's also going blind and his hearing is starting to go :/

noludoru

Bored Now.
Started my morning with a message from a guy who seemed genuinely like a match.
Until it rapidly became apparent our definitions of things were quite radically different.
Also disturbing that our very first conversation EVER was on that subject. You have bizarre pick-up lines my friend.
I want to know the topic now... :popcorn:

I don't want to move in with you because I'm not ready. I shouldn't need to keep saying it again and again and again.

You want me to move in because you feel vulnerable when you couldn't get in contact with me and thought I was hurt. Not because you feel like you are ready for that commitment.

this is so dumb.

and my friends are all like "well don't you love him? why wouldn't you want to move in with him?"
Of course I love him but I'm not ready!

gah!
Your friends are being superficial and silly. You have a super nice apartment and a great boyfriend. They don't need to be combined this soon.

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

As for the "kids these days" thing.

I think most kids these days are a lot like we were when we were that age... what I think HAS changed is parenting and discipline. When I was a kid I didn't know anyone who got in trouble at school and their parents would come flying in yelling at the teacher because their kid screwed up. No, they would discipline the kid for getting in trouble. Now if a kid gets in trouble there are A LOT of parents who fly off the handle on the teachers. Like how DARE they accuse little Jimmy of being less than perfect. if he screwed up it must be the teachers fault. That is the big difference I notice.
:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Agreed. So much. Parenting has totally changed.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I need someone to give me a kick in the butt to JUST DO IT and not worry. Seriously i know the first step is always the most nerve wracking but I need to get over it.

so yes, someone yell some sense into me.

Members online

No members online now.