Bernese Mountain Dog

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
Hi. i have been reaserching this breed and have some questions that i couldn't really find the answers to.

in terms of exercise, does this breed have to be pulling some sort of heavy weight? Would it be ok to just go out in a park or feild for a run around? And for how long? Aslo, are these dogs ok not living in cold climates with snow? Are they harder than most breeds to train and house break?

Thank you.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
Could somebody answer those questions about the Newfoundland breed aswell please. Thanks.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Just a suggestion to post the Newfoundland as a separate posting in case someone has one and does go to this posting since it mentions the Bernese Mountain Dog.

bogolove

I have researched the Berner a lot and here is a site you may want to look at to draw your own opinion of if this is the dog for you...

http://www.berner.org/pages/breed_faq.htm

And also this one...

http://www.pupcity.com/dog-breeds/bernese-mountain-dog.asp

They shed a lot. Their average life span is 8 to 10 years. They do much better in a colder climate, but I have seen one here in Tennessee, but we have cold winters even though we do have really hot summers. I told my husband that if he ever made me move to Massachusetts (he is from there), then I wanted a Berner as a consolation prize to keep me warm. But I wouldn't get one here, I don't think that would be right to have it in such hot weather.

My suggestion to you is to do what I did and buy a book on each of these breeds and just read and see if this dog fits your lifestyle.

Newfies like to swim, they also like cold weather, and they shed a lot. Saje has a Newfie mix and she could tell you exactly what they are like, and I love Mav, he is a beauty.

I don't know a ton about newfies or bernies, but I have to say I love both breeds. There is a great Bernese Mountain Dog around here. Very pretty, and very sweet.

Amstaffer

I have a friend that raises Bernese Mt. dogs and see said they are fairly easy to potty train. From being around her dogs I can say they require don't a lot of excerise, are very sweet dogs and seem to get a long with everyone (people and animals). They do prefer to be cool. They seem to ignore the cold in the winter....but her dogs are inside dogs and don't spend huge amounts of time outside, just play time. I know they take the cold a lot better that my Amstaffs.

bogolove

Ok here is what it says in my book about them:

Activity level: Moderate

But then it says a Bernese Mountain dog does best with an active owner in a suburban or rural environment.

Special needs: Grooming, socialization, and training

Temperment: an easygoing breed that is confident and gentle. some may be aloof w/ strangers but they generally get along with everyone, including children and other animals.

weight: 75 to 105 pounds

height: 23 to 27.5 inches

GSDFan05

Berners have got great temperaments, they tend to be real sweethearts. I would definitely own one if I weren't so determined to stay in the South!

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
I have read that some Berners die at about 4 or 5, and 40% of those deaths are beacause of cancer. what causes the other 60% to die so young? From anybodys personal experince,what are the average life spans of Berners? thanks.

bogolove

Well, in everythign I have read the average life span was 8 to 10 years. A lot of really big dogs don't have the life span of a smaller or averaged sized dog by statistics. That is not to say though that yours may live to 10 or so, but typically the "giant" breeds have a shorter life span. A lot of them start to have trouble getting around as the get older because they are SO big. But if you feed them the right diet and exercise and regular check-ups you can really help to extend that time and help to keep them feeling good and young for longer.

showpug

When I was researching getting a Saint Bernard pup I visited a breeder who KNOWS a lot of very good quality Bernese Mtn. Dog breeders. She told me that the cancer rate in Berners has sky rocketed out of control and that so many get cancer :( She also told me that they are now resorting to using frozen semen from dead dogs from many, many years ago to try and re-introduce non-cancer genes back into the breed. So sad as these dogs are wonderful in a lot of ways. They just seem so happy and loving and so beautiful. I would say, if you do decide on one, do your research and ask your breeder about the rate of cancer in his/her lines. I will say however, if you let health problems stop you from getting the breed you love, then I would not get a dog because unfortunatley they all have their issues. Poor babies...they don't deserve it :(

GSDFan05

I know there is a recent thread about this topic but I wanted to mention it here too, it's sad to see a breed go downhill (whether mentally or medically, or both) once its popularity booms and more and more irresponsible breeders enter the picture....

GSDFan05

I know there is a recent thread about this topic but I wanted to mention it here too, it's sad to see a breed go downhill (whether mentally or medically, or both) once its popularity booms and more and more irresponsible breeders enter the picture....but if you do your research and make sure you go through an experienced, reputable breeder, you should be able to get a great companion you can share at least 8 or so years with.

**edit***
sorry for the double post, my computer is being moody

Members online

No members online now.