Taming my little witch doctor?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Voodoo is proving to be a bit of a challenge for me, trainingwise. Don't get me wrong, certainly not in a bad way! He's a very bright, willing and happy little dog. But my training experience has all been with dogs who are rather deliberate and steady. Voodoo just vibrates energy during training, *wiggle wiggle bounce wiggle*. He gets so exhubrant that it can sometimes be difficult to show him what I want. How do you handle something like this? I don't want to quash his enthusiasm, just help focus some of that energy.

Roxy's CD

Maybe start with a good walk or something to use all that bounciness up and than something very low like "a watch me". A good massage around the neck and shoulders too usually calms them right down. :) Good luck! And hey at least he's interested in what your trying to teach him! lol

Saje

Island dweller
That's like Nanook. She's never tired and rarely still. The clicked training was the only way I got her to focus. I think once she realized that the click=treat/praise I had her full attention. I don't think I would have been able to do anything with her otherwise.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Teach "Watch me"! Its gotta be the BEST training command I've come across.

Riot is the same way!! lol hes a VERY VERY bouncy dog (doesn't really seem it by appearance eh lol)
Whenever hes not focused. I sit back and say "watch me" and he'll direct all his attention to me so I can talk to him!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Welcome to the herding breed. :)

Sometimes you have to wear them out before they can calm down enough to focus on you. A five minute run where he has to concentrate on what you're doing should be a good start...thinking wears a dog out faster than just straight exercise.

Members online

No members online now.