Teach a dog to catch?

Locke

I adopted my dog Smiley in August and he has all the properties of a great disc dog, except he does not catch things!

I don't know much about his background, other than he was dumped at a shelter because he was "chewing the kids' toys". Anyway, he's incredibly fast, can jump really high and has good drive for stuffies and tugs, but he will not catch things! He just lets toys and treats bop him on the head!

Are there exercises that I can start with him that will teach him to catch??
And what is a good way to introduce a disc and build drive for chasing the disc?

krissy

There are some great disc doggers who will chime in soon, but until they do you could check out the Disc thread in the "Photos" forum. It's probably on the second or third page now since it's not being used much in the off season now. Shows some of the girls just starting out with their dogs. :) (I'd link it but I'm on my iPad).

Locke

Thanks Krissy. I was looking for the thread but forgot it was in the photo section!

Elrohwen

I don't know how disc dog people train it, but here's how I taught my dog to catch food and toys thrown at him. I basically started with medium sized treats (hot dog worked well) and tossed it to him while saying "catch". If he caught it, I said "good catch" and threw another immediately. Basically, if he catches, he can continue playing the game, but if he misses, I stop throwing and the game ends. This then transferred to toys and he will catch in his mouth or sometimes use his paws.

Not the same thing as running out and catching a disc, but it worked to teach him the basic idea of the cue "catch". He's a clutz though and when he's really excited can't catch a thing even though he tries.

Stupid disc thread, we had to put it in the picture section because before you could only embed youtube video's there.

Anyways! I would start doing rollers and takes for Smiley.

These are the rollers and it helps them learn to start tracking and chasing the disc and being able to grab it while it's still moving. Also helps to build up the drive for the disc.

[YOUTUBE]3BIDheTHfSU[/YOUTUBE]

And then takes are when you hold the disc like you would to throw it and have Smiley grab it from your hand so he gets used grabbing it the same way he would if it was in the air. Do them at different heights and make him take steps to grab them (don't just hold it right next to his face, hold it a few steps away). Also remember to let go when he grabs it so he gets the reward of "winning" the disc.

And from their you can transition to short little slow tosses that have a lot of spin that give him time to try and catch them. Don't go for far throws yet, keep it close.

And make sure you reward for any success with lots of whatever he likes. I use lots of excited happy dances for Traveler paired with a long throw and Didgie gets to tug.

Oh, and SHORT SESSIONS! Remember to end early and on a high note!

Locke

Thanks Elrohwen and Linds.

I tried some rollers today and he has a lot more interest and enthusiasm for the disc than I had expected! Yeessss!!

Really looking forward to above freezing temps to try outside!

If fetching doesn't come naturally to your dog, you may have to work on training him to play first. You can start off by giving him treats or praise for taking any interest in the ball, and slowly work your way up to having him run after and pick up the ball.

krissy

I did when I lived in Toronto. I also used to play for Lotus/Lily, the women's touring team, for a couple of years. I think I still have a couple of TUC discs hanging around in my stash of discs. I had a great team. They still e-mail me every year hoping I'm back in the city.

Locke

I did when I lived in Toronto. I also used to play for Lotus/Lily, the women's touring team, for a couple of years. I think I still have a couple of TUC discs hanging around in my stash of discs. I had a great team. They still e-mail me every year hoping I'm back in the city.
Oh awesome! I've played with a few people from Lily.

Members online

No members online now.