Digging while Socializing

corky

Ontario BSL rescue
We've been working really hard at socializing Corky with groups of people. Large groups overwhelm him, but we've had a lot of success with small groups of half a dozen or so at our home and larger groups in big spaces.

This weekend we had company for a bbq and he was a perfect prince. The kids, including two that were strangers to him, tossed him a ball and he was on his best behaviour. When we were eating at the outdoor table, though, instead of begging for food (what I expected), he stayed away from us and sniffed and dug in the lawn.

The only other time I've known him to dig is when he's bored or left outside on his own, unsupervised. He's never dug in front of us before.

Do any of you have clues as to why he did this and how we might prevent a repeat? We're having another bbq later this week.

Maura

Maybe all of those people all together in one mass was intimidating to him. The sniffing and digging could be signs of anxiety. At your next bbq, simply put Corky somewhere else, the house, an outdoor kennel. He'll be fine in a bedroom or somewhere for the time it takes everyone to finish eating.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Could it be that he's just discovered digging. Two of mine love to dig and if you tell them to stop, they dig faster.

filarotten

Fila the love
Could it be that he's just discovered digging. Two of mine love to dig and if you tell them to stop, they dig faster.
:rofl1: That is hilarious Barb.

Titus has discoverd digging. Ugh! He does stop when you tell him to, but as soon as you walk away, he is back at it.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Digging is a stress/advoidance behavior. Next time, I wouldn't push him or expect so much of him... let him meet and greet the guests for a few minutes, and at the first signs of stress, crate him and give him a yummy kong for a break. Then let him out for another short session.

Members online

No members online now.