Necrotic tongue?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Lilly has been slightly off colour since Christmas day. I took her in to the vet yesterday and she had some bad spinal pain. I started her on Rimadyl and there was some slight improvement.

She was still off this morning and her breath smelled awful. I opened her mouth and her tongue looked bruised around her bottom canines.

I resolved to take her in with me tomorrow. During the day it has got worse. Now her underside of the tongue is green and her lips around the bottom canines have a thrush like growth and are swollen.

I'm worried sick. I've given her a dose of Synulox and some Rimadyl.

Thoughts on what it may be? And any vibes you have to spare for my old lady. :(

Maxy24

Any way you could get her into a vet today? From a quick google search this seeems like a very serious problem, possibly organ failure of some sort. Does she have a history of kidney problems? I'll definitely send vibes your way!

puppydog

Its almost 9pm here. I will have her in by 7.30 tomorrow. I spoke to my vet and she said it sounds like an abrasion.

She has no appetite loss and is in general good cheer so I don't think its kidney failure. We will do a urine analysis tomorrow just in case.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Sorry I can't think of anything it would be! keep us updated on how the vet goes.. I'm glad to hear she is acting normal!

puppydog

Its confirmed that the ends of the tongue are necrotic and sloughing off.

They don't know why. It isn't her kidneys. Her ear tips and toes are fine so they don't think it is vasculitis. Its a waiting game now. Antibiotics, pain killers and chloroexine rinse.

Please keep the vibes coming for her.

puppydog

Further investigation and it looks like a bite wound. She must have fallen because of the spinal pain and bitten down hard. Being older it took more of a knock and took longer to heal and infection set in.

puppydog

She has responded well to the treatment. She is still in pain but is eating well and is more relaxed.

The necrosis is contained and the tongue looks cleaner, if that makes sense. They skin is starting to slough off.

puppydog

She has raised urea and creatinin. Raised enough to cause alarm but not necrosis of the tongue. They are now not sure if the trauma caused the raised levels or if its unrelated.

She is on fluid treatment.

puppydog

She seems to be responding to fluids well. Let's hope that means the levels are down and that they will stay down.

Sparrow

Scary stuff! Glad to hear she is eating. That's a good sign. Are you giving her SQ fluids at home?

puppydog

No sub Q. All IV treatment. She has had the last day of treatment now. She is eating well, tongue has dropped off on one side and they drew bloods now.

We find out this afternoon if the levels are down. She is cheerful but tired.

At the moment they are thinking some sort of weird infection or a virus. We just don't know until bloods are back.

Members online

No members online now.