wheatens

Pops2

anyone got any leads on working wheatens in the USA. we are moving to UT soon and i will be needing a den dog for coyote chasing. will probably get a nice little pit 30-35#, pitXpat or jrt, maybe airedaleXjagd but am interested in other terriers that might do the job (already figured out jagds, irish & smaller breeds too small for coyotes work).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I wouldn't even know where to start looking, honestly. That breed has been so screwed up by showing and BYB's/petstores that I honestly couldn't imagine anyone is still out there breeding for something else.

Make sure you stop by Denver and say howdy. ;)

Pops2

yeah, if i go w/ a pure dale it'll be a redline of Matt Thoms mogollon lines as they are the smallest working dales but they are still usually bigger than what i want. i might however get the smallest good working gyp i can find & put her under a good jagd the cumberland pack has some good dogs and a hoghunter i know down in TX has a dynamite coldnosed one that catches him a lot of hogs.
it's just going to be a hard niche to fill, 30-35# is ideal and up to 40# wll likely work but over 40# is going to be too big.

Tahla9999

A wheaten versus a coyote? Aint that a little small to be going after a coyote?

Pops2

not in a den. its no different than sending a pat or jack into a hole after a fox. the important thing is that me & the sonic weasel will be sitting right outside the hole. if the coyote bolts the weasel shound catch it and hold it for me to catch & tie. if it doesn't bolt for the terrier, i dig just enough to pull the terrier out. then we ambush it when it comes out to see if we've left.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I did a Google search for a good 20 minutes last night and the closest I came was a guy in the UK selling a working bitch. No kennels, no contacts, nothing.

Tahla9999

not in a den. its no different than sending a pat or jack into a hole after a fox. the important thing is that me & the sonic weasel will be sitting right outside the hole. if the coyote bolts the weasel shound catch it and hold it for me to catch & tie. if it doesn't bolt for the terrier, i dig just enough to pull the terrier out. then we ambush it when it comes out to see if we've left.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Pops2

i went to the club site & looked at the breeder list. there is 1 in UT, 6 in CO, & 10 in AZ. i'll start there by e-mailing them for info. I may try an incorrigible cat killer from rescue, IF the pedigree is known.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
i went to the club site & looked at the breeder list. there is 1 in UT, 6 in CO, & 10 in AZ. i'll start there by e-mailing them for info. I may try an incorrigible cat killer from rescue, IF the pedigree is known.
How about a Lakeland or Irish Terrier?? Maybe harder to find, but usually have truer terrier drive ...

Artfish

Drivey and Intense
Pops, what about a Kerry blue? I think you will have much better luck in a pat x or jagd x, personally. The purebred AKC terriers are completely F'd up.

What about a blue lacey or lacey x terrier? The size range is about right.

Pops2

colliwog
the irish & lakey are too small for coyote.

Artfish
the wheaten is still a working breed in ireland where it is used to draw fax & badger. but the kerry blue is a nonworker even there.
the lacey or Mt cur to a small pit is an idea i've considered. i do think the pitX to a pat or jrt or jagdX airedale are likely to be the best choice

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
colliwog
the irish & lakey are too small for coyote.

Artfish
the wheaten is still a working breed in ireland where it is used to draw fax & badger. but the kerry blue is a nonworker even there.
the lacey or Mt cur to a small pit is an idea i've considered. i do think the pitX to a pat or jrt or jagdX airedale are likely to be the best choice
It sounds like you've got a 'build your own' situation there ... ;)

Artfish

Drivey and Intense
but the kerry blue is a nonworker even there.
Depressing.

I vote Jagd x airedale x pit. And a lifetime supply of energy drinks to keep up. ;) You will have to keep us updated with your choice!

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I would be shocked if you found a working wheaten here.

From what I understand, the breed has been pretty decimated by BYBs, especially in New York where they are known as the "perfect apartment dog." I can't imagine that, but ah well.

I'm curious as to what you'll find. Good luck.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
From what I understand, the breed has been pretty decimated by BYBs, especially in New York where they are known as the "perfect apartment dog." I can't imagine that, but ah well.
dear lord! i cannot imagine having a wheaten in an apartment... those must be some seriously messed up wheatens...

El Alano

anyone got any leads on working wheatens in the USA. we are moving to UT soon and i will be needing a den dog for coyote chasing. will probably get a nice little pit 30-35#, pitXpat or jrt, maybe airedaleXjagd but am interested in other terriers that might do the job (already figured out jagds, irish & smaller breeds too small for coyotes work).
Old thread but curious if you ever found what you were after?

Members online

No members online now.