My teacher got attacked by pitbulls

Amstaffer

No No....... 4 cheers. It is great to hear you stick up for a much maligned breed. Check out the link in my sig it has lots of good info to make your argument. You would think teachers would be able to use logic better.

Babyblue5290 said:
My History teacher came to school with bandages on one arm cause when he was walking his dog he was attacked by two pit bulls. They didn't do too much damage and in my oppinion if they were really out to kill him they would've done a LOT more damage, but I wasn't there so I can't really say. But he grabed his small dog and had to hold it above his head and the one of the pits grabbed onto his arm. It really didn't do too much damage, just a few teeth cuts that aren't that deep. (
Being attacked by dogs is an absolutely horrifying experience. I'm a bit shocked at your callous attitude toward the other dog (not to mention the man) - the whole issue here is whether some upset people were badmouthing your breed? Lecturing upset people is useless, too, for further reference. A mild "they're not all bad, they just attract bad owners" is less rude and much more effective.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
casablanca1 said:
Being attacked by dogs is an absolutely horrifying experience. I'm a bit shocked at your callous attitude toward the other dog (not to mention the man) - the whole issue here is whether some upset people were badmouthing your breed? Lecturing upset people is useless, too, for further reference. A mild "they're not all bad, they just attract bad owners" is less rude and much more effective.
I never said that being attacked wasn't horrifying. I know it is and I did express my sympathy about him being attacked. I told him how sorry I was and all that. Plus his dog was fine and I understand him picking it up, I would do the same even if it isn't the smartest thing to do. I was never once rude to him. I have a very quiet voice so my speaking louder than normal isn't very loud at all. They were talking about it like a day after the attack and none of them where really "upset". They were being stereotypical to the breed and it just got to me. I broke into their conversation, but that was practically the only "rude" thing I did. And I did say that they weren't all bad and that is was just the owners.
I don't particuarly like being called "callous", but I might be mis unerstanding you so I'll give the benifit of the doubt. Espesially since computers take away the tone you are speaking in. Oh and pit's aren't "my breed" as you stated. I respect them as a dog and not monsters some people think they are. FYI my breed are Husky's and Malamutes. They are my favorite not Pits. Though pits are good dogs.

nedim

Kinda funny how almost every long thread ends in a disagreement or arguement. It is so stupid on both ends to argue with a person god knows how many miles away from you.However babyblue5290, I think what you did was fine. I dont believe in putting dogs before humans (except in some cases), but then again I dont believe in spreading the word and getting people excited over a breed of dog that was obviously bred for fighting. Hence the name "pitbull". It is not the pits fault. Sometimes, its not even the owners fault.It is the fault of those who have bred the dog for such purposes and it is foolish of people to get excited when an attack of such a breed occurs, because that is ultimately what the pitbull was bred for. They were not bred to be showdogs or family dogs, they were made for killing an opponent in the ring and of course they will have the instincts to attack if they see a possible threat.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
if a person takes on a pitbull.they take on the responsibility for socializing from the get go..i had a friend that had a puppy that was meaner than sin..i had never seen such an agressive 8 wk pup in my life..she talked with dog behavioralists..and followed their advice taking the dog everywhere..having people of all sizes and races give her treats..took her where there were lots and lots of dogs..and Fergi today is just dandy..i wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes..she knew this pup would take the extra work and she did it...they brought the dog to their home so the responsiblity belongs to the owner..not the breeder. The breeder is responsible for taking milder temperment dogs and breeding responsibly..but that is where their part ends and the owner's begins..so Nedim i disagree with that part, but agree that it took courage to speak up for all the good pitties and good owners of the world..if someone was to check into the posts in breeds..about the good pitties that are destroyed, or stoned...and the owners that lose good dogs or get pelted with rocks..oh my a person could go on forever..some one has to speak up and i am so proud of the way babyblue handled the whole thing..

Amstaffer

nedim said:
Sometimes, its not even the owners fault.It is the fault of those who have bred the dog for such purposes and it is foolish of people to get excited when an attack of such a breed occurs, because that is ultimately what the pitbull was bred for. They were not bred to be showdogs or family dogs, they were made for killing an opponent in the ring and of course they will have the instincts to attack if they see a possible threat.
Hate to break it to you but many breeds were breed to kill. The Pitbull like every Terrier has dominant trait and a high prey drive but after that it is all HUMAN influence. They were NEVER meant to be human aggressive!! I could make the average border collie human aggressive much easier than your average pitbull or amstaff! Please check out the link in my sig. Don't take Nature over Nurture! I have to Amstaffs (AKC pitbulls) and they have ZERO human aggression. I could not get one of them to attack a human if I tried. Nedim, I question your knowledge of the breed.

If you check out the link you will find out that they were Definately bred for family dogs and are now being bred for Show and Wieght pulling! The Amstaff was one of the first dogs reconized by the AKC

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
casablanca1 said:
I didn't actually call you callous, I called your behavior callous. And frankly,

"I told him how sorry I was and all that."

kind of reinforces my opinion on that.
I know you called my behaivor callous and calling that callous is basically calling me callous. What am I without my behaivor? I am nothing. So you DID call me callous. But maybe your right. Maybe I am callous! But I try to be as nice as possible, even to the point of being taken advantage of. You don't know me!! You know nothing about me!! You don't know what I've seen! What I've been through in my short existence!! So you have NO right to call me callous!!! NO RIGHT WHAT SO EVER!!!

Oh and for your information I only said "I told him how sorry I was and all that." because I didn't think you guys wanted to hear what EXACTLY what I said. I was just shortening it.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
Amstaffer said:
Hate to break it to you but many breeds were breed to kill. The Pitbull like every Terrier has dominant trait and a high prey drive but after that it is all HUMAN influence. They were NEVER meant to be human aggressive!! I could make the average border collie human aggressive much easier than your average pitbull or amstaff! Please check out the link in my sig. Don't take Nature over Nurture! I have to Amstaffs (AKC pitbulls) and they have ZERO human aggression. I could not get one of them to attack a human if I tried. Nedim, I question your knowledge of the breed.

If you check out the link you will find out that they were Definately bred for family dogs and are now being bred for Show and Wieght pulling! The Amstaff was one of the first dogs reconized by the AKC
Thank you for saying that. I was about to say the exact same thing. My pit bull would NEVER hurt anyone. She loves kids. I have a 7 year old nephew and a 4 year old little boy that is around her all the time, and she listens to them better than she listens to me!!! My dog is extremely jealous of other dogs, but she would never ever ever hurt a person.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
maybe the pitbull flash should be viewed right now..what was the facts stated there..fourth from the bottom of biters????? i think that is right.

BabyB, I don't think most of us thought you were being callous. You were just being concise about a part of the information in your post that was only tangential to the subject you were posting about.

What most don't consider is that even the fighting lines of Pit Bulls - make that 'especially' the fighting lines - are bred with great inhibition against biting humans. These fools that fight their dogs have to be able to wade into a pit with enraged dogs and separate them. That wouldn't be possible if these dogs didn't have extreme inhbitions against biting humans!

I think the biggest reason we are seeing so much bad press is because of the all of the walking billboards for stupidity that are out there using sociopathic dogs to boost their machismo. The breeders/trainers who cater to these fools, breeding and training "attack" dogs for the general public and the pathetic, dysfunctional punks who are their clients are the ones who should be sitting in a pound. Our animal cruelty laws should reflect that this is animal cruelty and punish it accordingly.

My next question is what is the difference in the reasoning capacity between someone who condemns an entire breed or breeds because of the actions of a few isolated individuals and someone who condemns a race for the same reasons?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
in this day and age..to find a student that cares..expresses not only concern for the injury..but concern for the breed as well is just outstanding.it shows a concern, initiative,public awareness,and most of all HEART .not callous.

If I shut my eyes and threw a pebble outside any school in America, the pebble would hit one student who cared passionately about some issue and richochet off another. Youthful enthusiasm on social issues is far from unusual and it is not always laudable.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
are u a teacher? Do you work with teens? Are u a parent?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee and Smkie thank you for the support. I probably shouldn't get upset over what one person is saying, but it just makes me feel badly.

casablanca1 said:
If I shut my eyes and threw a pebble outside any school in America, the pebble would hit one student who cared passionately about some issue and richochet off another. Youthful enthusiasm on social issues is far from unusual and it is not always laudable.
I'm not real sure how to respond to you. I guess I don't understand why being passionate about something is a bad thing. Shouldn't being passionate about something be a good thing? I'm not just overly defensive and am rarely able to speak out against anything, so why was this so wrong of me? It's not like I am passionate about this one day and in a year I wont even care. I will care and still be just as passionate if not more as the years go. I know I will.
I'm not sure if you've had many experiences with teenager's or if your just basing everything you've said on what you've heard about teens or if you've met some rude teens. I don't know, but either way I'm not your normal teen I guess. I'm never rude and hardly get in trouble with anyone (except my dad, but most the time it's not my fault :rolleyes: )!
But I guess there's no way to change your mind about me so I give up.

I think it's wonderful that you care so much, BabyB. I wish there were more young people like you. Too many could care less about what happens to animals. You're awesome! ((((HUGS))))

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thank you CreatureTeacher. :)
I know it's stupid of me to get so upset over one person that doesn't even know me, so can't really make a good judgement about my attitude. It just really gets to me when someone doesn't approve of me. :(

Members online

No members online now.