Harry is Finally going to a Behaviorist

mrose_s

BusterLove
My mother has the number, she's calling in the next couple of days. He's getting worse and worse in every aspect, he's now fighting with Mac, it used to only be when she started it. Then it was only when she tried to steal his food, then when she came near my mum, then near me, now near my sister!, then when she was playing fetch with my mums bf, yesterday when we were playing a recall game with treats and he just started. today when we brought him back inside from playing outside he just went her from across the room.

He never stops with a yell, we always have to pull him off. She used to defend herself, now he finds something to jam her into so she's stuck on her back, he never hurts her, but I think he might in future or if we couldn't get to them quick enough (everything so far we've been able to break up in 3 seconds)

He used to be okay with people once they were in the house, now he isn't trustworthy with anyone except us and my mums bf. He's going to hurt someone or someones kid if it keeps going on.

yesterday after his incident with Mac I went off at him and threw him in the laundry. Now he is smart, it was my stupid mistake to be so harsh, what if he associates my aggression towards him as Mac's fault? Today I just took him outside and left him there.

So this is it, we know if this doesn't work that he only has one option left. I love this boy but I just don't get his behaviour. My mum is devastated, she's never had a dog like him and she's had dogs since forever, she's never had a dog she couldn't understand. And he was the first dog after her heart dog she's actually felt much of a connection with, and that was 12 years ago. He's a special, but he's just ... so unpredictable.
Its almost like he has a post traumatic stress disorder, he wasn't treated well before we got him, we had him for a year before we moved him, then everything changed, suddenly he was in a kennel, then he was desexed, then he was suddenly in a very busy, populated area and he just hasn't adapted.

This poor boy, I've never seen a dog with so many issues. I just really hope this woman can help him.

mrose_s

BusterLove
We called her, she's really nice. She's told us to first get full bloodwork done and his thyroid tested. We're off to the vet this afternoon.
If nothign comes out of that she'll come up to see him.

She also todl us she had 2 blue dogs his age she had to put down, they had a brain disorder that very little is known about, and some of his symptoms sound like her dogs :(

mrose_s

BusterLove
Bloodwork all came back normal, the behaviourist is coming up next weekend, will spend about 3 hours with him then email us a program.

He was so interesting to watch at the vet today, it was the first time he has been muzzled, we put him on the table and he just went all submissive, just lay down and looked so frightened. Just makes me believe all the more that he is actually feeling really insecure and aggression is his way of protecting himself.
It was only near the end that he got that look in his eyes which usually follows with "AHGHGUGHIHIHFJKHFIHFKJ" out of him, but it never came.

The woman wants to watch his interaction with us and the other animals while she's here, we have decided to tape as much of his interaction with the other dogs/us during the next week incase he doesn't show his "normal" behaviour when she's around.

lizzybeth727

Taping him is a great idea. SOunds like a good behaviorist to suggest a full checkup to rule out any health problems before doing a behavioral evaluation.

Probably about 98% of aggression stems from fear or insecurity, it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that that could be your dog's root problem.

Keep giving us updates!

mrose_s

BusterLove
She came today. I really like her, we talked for a couple of hours and she gave us some great ideas, she'll be sending an email through in a couple of days listing down a program.
We also had a talk about Buster's DA, which I am so grateful for. She gave me some ideas aswell so now I know what direction I'm going in. Everythign I've done has been kind of half hearted because I wasn't sure if I was going the right way.
She has 3 dogs herself, one of which is HA and DA, but very controlled.

I feel so relieved.

The best thing, she asked me to show her a bit of heeling with Buster just quick in the backyard before she went. I did some heeling, sit, drop, recall and stays and he was perfect.

I feel so much mroe motivated now.

Members online