For Those With Non Stranger Friendly Dogs

StillandSilent

My new foster dog is giving me fits. He's a 1 yr old Shar-Pei/? cross, about 45lbs. Spent most of his life in the backyard/shelter. I've had him one week.

For the first three days, Quiddich (Quiddy), loved everyone he met. Snuggly, happy, total social. Then he suddenly decided that everyone but me could go die. According to most people, this is just how shar-pei's are. I don't know, I've never dealt with one before. I know there are people here with them, so maybe they could offer some insight?

He's fine at home, and even at places like Petsmart/downtown, as long as people aren't looking at or trying to interact with him in any way. He'll walk right by them ignoring them. But when people try to grab and touch, he barks sharply.

This is not fear. He steps directly towards them like he means business. It doesn't even seem to be protection or me so much as it's just him not wanting to interact with people at all. I can do whatever I want to him with no issues.

Now, I do not expect him to act like a lab. I have no problem telling people not to pet him, because he is not stranger friendly. But I need to communicate to him that it is not appropriate to bark at them, and that I will decided who is friend and who is foe.

How do I do this? I've been rewarding focus on me and not barking.

It should be mentioned that he seems more accepting of women, and that he has reaccepted the entire female staff at work, and some of the men as well.

He's going to be seen by a behviorist next week, but what should I be doing in the meantime?

StillandSilent

I don't know why I didn't think of that! I've never had a dog before who was unfriendly for any reason other then fear, so I guess I was thinking that the same methods wouldn't work.

That's a great suggestion, and I'll start implementing it.

Sekah

The Monster.
Also, don't pressure the dog to interact with people. If people go to say hi, step in and explain while keeping a treat on his nose to distract him. Forcing the issue will encourage him to practice the undesirable behaviour and won't help in the long run.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
^^good post, with backup I would basically tell people "if he wants to say hi you may touch him on the head/neck". He began seeking people out when he trusted them and I would reward huge (me, I don't ask others to feed him). His touch sensitivity was towards me as well as others so I worked through that at home. Basically I would touch, reward, and or touch while I rewarded. Some spots need to be a bit more forced and some I still take on his time(ie, nails v. his tummy), it depends on the dog I think.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Speaking from experience with Menchi...

Shar Pei make friends slowly. She will not be petted by someone she does not know. They have to make friends with her first. Add to that the fact that when we are out and about she usually makes it her buisness to keep me safe. She won't bark at people...but she does put her little chest out, lift her head, and snort when people that she does not know approach.

He could very well be guarding you just a little :)

I agree with Adrianne... try the LAT.

You should post some pictures of him!!!

Maxy24

I agree, LAT and don't let people pet him. In fact he'll likely warm up quickest if you tell people to not even look at or touch him, pretend he's not even there. Being able to check people out without worrying about them reaching for him will go a long way. If people continually try and interact with him he may become quicker to react, thinking all people will try to touch him, even if they have not tried yet. But yes, LAT and a very high rate of reinforcement if the people are looking at him, talking to him, or talking to you.

What you described is very much how Jack is - more of a "stranger danger" than a fear thing.

I would play LAT when you're in public - reinforce that looking at people means AWESOME THINGS. You can also reinforce a focus command - looking at you means AWESOME THINGS, too!

Don't force any interactions. Let him make friends on his own terms. Be an advocate for him - tell people that no, they cannot pet him. If you have dog-people around, you can "set up" interactions, having them feed him treats (or throw them) so it reinforces that strangers bring AWESOME things.

Don't worry, I never let strangers pet him. If he's telling both me and them he's not comfortable, pushing is only going to create a disaster. We went to petsmart yesterday and practiced some LAT, and he seemed very into it. Not as much as he was into the lizards, but you know, stupid puppy brain.

I'll try to get some picture up later today. He really is a cute little Quiddy.

Members online

No members online now.