Canidae and allergies?

621mum

My puppy (11 weeks old) is eating Canidae. We switched her over from Purina (which she was getting at the rescue) between 8 and 9 weeks. I was hoping that would resolve her itching issue, but it hasn't. What are the odds that she is allergic to something in *both* the Purina and Canidae? Or do you think I should be thinking this is something other than a food allergy?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
It could be something other than the food. Have you taken her to the vet? What about fleas? Where does she itch?

621mum

She has been to the vet. The only thing they could find was a little bit of dry skin. So, we added flax oil to her diet (since that has been very helpful for our older pup). The vet is confident that it isn't fleas. Most of the itching is on her abdomen (she stands and scratches her belly with a rear leg a lot) and on her rear legs. She will sometimes scratch at her ears, but that is pretty rare and I think mostly related to some sand that got in them last week at the beach.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Does she lay on grass? Could be a grass allergy? But that's a big maybe. Some dogs just itch, as well. I have an allergy dog and his itching compared to my others is very noticeable and different. Does she have any spots on her belly?

621mum

She has 1 small spot on her belly, and one raw looking area on her rear pawpad. You know, when she was at the rescue, she was kept outside in a dog run during the day and the itching was bad. It diminished after she came home, but has gotten worse in the last week or so while we've been letting her play outside. And she does seem to scratch a lot after she first comes in. Hmmm... the vet was of the opinion that outdoor allergies take longer than a few weeks to show up. What the world would I do about a dog allergic to grass (or in my yard... crab grass)?

Chiluver

Spike has a allergy to chicken. Anything with chicken makes him itchy and red. Now that he doesn't have chicken, no redness or itchy's.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
She has 1 small spot on her belly, and one raw looking area on her rear pawpad. You know, when she was at the rescue, she was kept outside in a dog run during the day and the itching was bad. It diminished after she came home, but has gotten worse in the last week or so while we've been letting her play outside. And she does seem to scratch a lot after she first comes in. Hmmm... the vet was of the opinion that outdoor allergies take longer than a few weeks to show up. What the world would I do about a dog allergic to grass (or in my yard... crab grass)?
And the vet doesn't think any type of allergies could be the cause? I don't really know how long it takes for allergies to show up or if the pup is too young to even have such reactions? This is really baffling me.

If it's to the point that she is biting/licking excessively and has raw spots, I'd say she needs to go back to the vet to rule out a lot of things. Have you just had her vaccinated? It could be a vaccination reaction. Uhm.. running out of ideas here...

621mum

Yeah, I will be taking her back. I guess it could be a vaccine reaction (it was worse right after her first set and then again after her second set), but I expected "more" if it was a vaccine thing. I think sometimes vets just don't really know with allergies. Our lab mix definitely has seasonal allergies. But, the first year they insisted that it couldn't be that because she was too young. Finally when she was about 1.5, the vet said it was seasonal, even though nothing had changed. : ) I'm going to ask about allergy testing on her next visit.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Yeah, if you're going to vaccinate, spread it out as much as possible and don't do combos. They really can make a dog ill.

Did the vet give her any type of relief for the itching? If so, you'll have to wait for the allergy testing. But I do agree with you on that.. if I could go back and do it all over again for my dog, Buddy, I would.. and he would have never been vaccinated and would have had a full blood and thyroid panel done so that we could start treating the cause for his allergies from the get go and not a year after so much damage had already been done.

Best of luck to you!

621mum

It's not really warm, but my allergies are bothering me, so I'm sure there is some pollen afoot

elegy

overdogged
at 11 weeks, it should really *not* be allergies.

have they done a skin scrape to rule out other types of parasites?

You know, some of us have had skin problems with canidae. Its actually pretty low in fat compared to some others, so I've had to oil it with fish oils in order to get the itching back down to manageable levels.

LauraLeigh

I don' know if its coincidence or what, but my "itchy" girl does better on Canidae Lamb and Rice, than most any other food, the only one that she also seemed to do well on was Wysong. I guess it likely comes down to the dog sometimes, but I do agree with some others here, 11 months is pretty young for full blown allergies, Di was 2 before I saw any indication at all.

Members online

No members online now.