London and Lucy

OK lil background. London 10 week old Mini Schnauzer female, Lucy 1yr 3 month old Beagle female spayed. They have been introduced and get along very well.My concern is play time.Lucy wants to play all the time and is very full of energy as i would expect of a Beagle.My prob or rather concern is how they play. there is alot of mouthing and nipping by both dogs.Lucy is not hurting London as i know that she is being as gentle as she can.And she does let London get the better of her at time kinda looks like its on purpose as she rolls over to let London play with her sometimes.Neither dog gets nasty with the other. what my concern is i dont want the mouthing and nipping to happen when i play with London.As i am not sure by letting them play this way is telling her its ok to play with me this way.So far when she nips or bites i let out a big OUCH! and that seems to help for a bit but she still comes back to biting.Thanx in advance guys an gals

I have many other questions but i will post them separate.

Maxy24

She can tell the difference between people and dogs so it's fine to let her play with dogs that way but never with people. When she bites and it hurts you can say ouch and then stand up and turn away from the dog and ignore her for a minute. Then continue playing. EVERY time her bite hurts you need to stop playing and ignore for a minute. She will learn that it is unacceptable play, she has probably already learnd what is too rough for other dogs but thinks people have as tough skin as dogs so she still bites as hard as she can with dogs. She must learn that humans are more delicate than dogs and she must control her jaws on our skin.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I believe your older dog will help teach the puppy to play gently. What a lucky puppy to get someone to play in a natural and normal way. May even make it easier for you in the long run. Your puppy will figure out what kind of play is acceptable and when. My pointer daddy was wonderful in teaching the pups to play gently. Occasionally i would hear a roar and i would smile because i knew someone got a bit over zealous with their needley puppy teeth. I looked out the window once and saw baby bronki walking beneath his daddy. He reached up and gave that dangly thing a bite and DaddyBin flew up in the air and came down with his paws on both sides of baby bronki. He roared like a lion. Then turned around and started walking across the lawn. Baby bronki resumed his place beneath his daddy's legs and yup...he did it again. THat time got him a cuff with the paw as well as a roar.

Wow! great advice.I have been using the ouch but not the ignore. I will start it asap.Smkie thats a great story!!.

Members online

No members online now.