kennel training

Has anyone found that kennel training or confinement makes puppies overly energetic and more prone to misbehave?

I like the idea of confining......for potty training reasons. I also have a busy life and can't have my puppy with me every minute....although I do try to keep her with me for significant portions of the day. But, I don't like the anxiety that it seems to create. I have lots of toys and treats. I am training her to come and sit and do her business outside. She gets lots of exercise.

Any observations??? or other ideas as to why my dog seems more anxious?

Thanks,
Jumping Bean

Maxy24

Well keeping in the crate is not necassarily going to make the dog more energetic any more than waking up after a nap. When you let the dog out of the crate she should have the opportunity to got to the bathroom and then (after potty) run around and play. It's also a good idea to exercise the dog (mental exercise can also ware a dog out as long as she's still getting physical exercise) before crating. If your dog is anxious he may just not be used to the crate yet, it takes time.

(oh and sorry for any spelling mistakes this computer does not have spell check lol)

adojrts

Hi;
Crating a dog is just like everything else, there has to be a balance. Being confined to a house or an apt can have the same results of being confined to a crate too much and not enough physical AND mental simulation. The only difference is the crate usually survives where as the home doesn't :D
Do you ever crate her when you are home?
How is she behaving? How old is she? How long have you been crate training her? How old was she when you got her and where did she come from?

Lynn

lizzybeth727

Has anyone found that kennel training or confinement makes puppies overly energetic and more prone to misbehave?
I actually think that crating makes a puppy less likely to misbehave - while you're gone or can't watch her, she'll probably find something to get into, if she's not confined somewhere safe. It does mean that she'll be more energetic when you bring her out, because if she wasn't in the crate, she'd find her own activities and mental stimulation (the above-mentioned misbehaviors!).

You said she seems more anxious - is that just while she's in the crate, or after you let her out? What does she do, bark, whine, chew, etc.?

H

HarleyD

I don't think a dog should have to be crated while the owners at home. Your dog, your responsiblity. Tie her leash to your belt and take her wherever you go so you know if she's got to potty you can run outside. Only if you leave or if there is a problem, should you crate a dog. JMO though. Some dogs do become more destructive if they are crated more than usual. They have no outlet for their energy while in a crate. Toys are fine, but they get boring when you can't run around and be with your human.

Thanks for your comments. I have my dog on a schedule. She spends most of the day with me....but I kennel her for certain periods of time throughout the day and then all night. Her schedule includes training and play and free time. I take her out to pee every hour. She is quiet at night. I don't have a place in my house where I can create a little puppy station. So, I try to break up my day with puppy time and then try to do the rest of my stuff while she is resting. I have read that it helps with the potty training and helps the puppy to learn to hold their bladder longer. I notice that she is the most crazy in the morning after coming in from her first bathroom time and in the afternoon when the kids get home. We have tried to limit our greetings with her to give her time to calm down. But sometimes she is so excited and bitey that the kids are getting hurt. I thought maybe the kennel was causing this...but maybe it is normal puppy behavior. I am not sure.

Jumping Bean

lizzybeth727

I notice that she is the most crazy in the morning after coming in from her first bathroom time and in the afternoon when the kids get home. We have tried to limit our greetings with her to give her time to calm down. But sometimes she is so excited and bitey that the kids are getting hurt. I thought maybe the kennel was causing this...but maybe it is normal puppy behavior. I am not sure.
No, it sounds normal to me. Maybe just before the kids come home, you can put her outside to run a few minutes, and then greet them outside. If that doesn't work, you could also put her on leash so she can't get to the kids until she calms down. Make sure that the kids stay calm, too - teach them to be statues while she's running around crazy, and not move until you tell them they can. In the mornings you could also run her for 5-10 minutes outside so that she's less crazy when you come in the house.

LuvsDogs

If your kids are squealing & running around to get away from the pup, she'll see this as time to run & chase. If they are flailing their arms around & puppy jumps up to bite, they need to remain calm, with arms folded & not move or make eye contact. I find in my obedience classes that the little dogs are more jumpy when their owners lift their arms up to get away from the dog. I suggest to them to not do that as the dogs sees it as a moving object to grab at. After all, what do you do to get a dog to jump up, you encourage it by moving your arm up in a pump handle action.
When the kids come home have them wait to greet the pup, until she's calmed down & quietly give her attention.

Members online

No members online now.