Vaccination question?

zoe08

What is the usual vaccinations and schedules of them? Zoe is 2 and 1/2 years old and I just got a card in the mail from the vet for Zoe to get 3 vaccinations:

1 - Canine distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, para influenza
2 - parvo virus, corona virus
3 - rabies

I know some do the rabies every year, others don't. I am pretty sure my vet told me last year when she got it that she wouldn't have to get another for 3 years.

The other 2 vaccines I am pretty sure she got when she was a puppy. How long do those last?

I will take her in and get the shots if she needs them, I just wondered why she needed those other 2 shots again.

Jynx

it probably depends on the state your in and the laws re: rabies.

Here in CT , rabies is mandatory every 3 years..so, the first one here is usually around 16 weeks of age, then again at one year, then every 3 years
thereafter.

The others are a "booster" vac, usually given yearly.

However, there are new protocals out on vac's, recommending all vacs to I believe every 3 years, with the rabies 5-7 depending probably on titers.

I don't booster vac any of my dogs anymore, I titer. Rabies I am out on the fence with at the moment, two of mine are due for a rabies, and I haven't decided if I'm going to go with it or not.

Hope this helps
Diane

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I would have them do a titer test on her first before you let them put any shots into her. My boy is 18 months old and had the last of his shots this summer for 3 years as advised by my vet. I am planning on only doing a titer to see exactly what he needs when it comes time for more shots if any at all.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
The protocol for DHPP for both types of vaccs is three years now. The AAHA protocol used to recommend the one type for three years and the other for only one.. Now both are three.

This PDF file from the AAHA has the recommendations for pretty much every vacc type. http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/vaccine_guidelines06.pdf

I went to my vet with it when Cider was due for DHPP according to them and we fought about it. Turns out they were still using 2003's guidelines.. Paid for me to be what I feel is overly informed.

zoe08

Thanks everyone for the information!

Why can they not get any other at the same time as the Rabies? I haven't heard that before.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!

Why can they not get any other at the same time as the Rabies? I haven't heard that before.
My vet gives vaccinnes two weeks apart from eachother giving the rabies first and then I just have to take my boy in for a tech visit for the rest. The reason my vet said was because they just didn't want to give to many shots at one time and overload their systems. They have found that dogs do better when given them spread out.

bubbatd

My vets are up on all of this and we talk about it when things are due . They don't like to over dose , so I go with their suggestions .

fillyone

But please, call me Barb

Rabies is a tough vaccine and has some pretty nasty vaccinosis possiblities so should never be given at the same time as any other vaccine.

Lucky for me, I'm in an every 3 year Rabies

Members online

No members online now.