Need help picking out a dog

dlhoward

Want to get a dog but not sure what to get. Want something no more than 25 lbs., good house dog, one that won't jump in the pond all the time, doesn't slobber, hunting dog. Don't want a Springer or Cocker Spaniel.

BostonBanker

I don't know of many hunting dogs that are under 25 lbs other than cockers. Other than the size issue, my dog Meg, who is a Mountain Cur, fits the rest of your requirements pretty well. She's fantastic in the house as long as she's had some exercise, had to be convinced to learn how to swim, and doesn't drool at all. Although she hasn't hunted (at least since I've owned her), that is the breed's main purpose. She's on the small side at about 35/37 lbs.

What do you want to hunt? Beagles might fill in the requirements you posted as well.

Hmm, wow that's tough. I would suggest...
-Beagle
-Basset Hound
-MAYBE Brittany but they can go up to 30 lbs.
-Jindo if you get a female
-Welsh Corgi
-Treeing Walker Coonhound, even though they get big, they are good housedogs
-Welsh Terrier
Hope this helps!!!! :)

T

tessa_s212

English Cocker Spaniel? (I know you said no cockers, but I didn't know if you were referring two both breeds.)

I'm not sure you'll find that many "hunting dogs" under 25 lbs. Do you want a bird dog? Or something from the hound group?

dlhoward

Bird Dog

Would like a bird dog. Was looking at an English Cocker Spaniel. Saw one that didn't have alot of hair but the owner said he shaves it. Do they normally have alot of hair?

Any preference on what type of bird dog? My understaning is that spaniels are more for flushing out the game while a Brittany points the game. Are you going to actually hunt with the dog or are you just partial to bird dogs?

dlhoward

Flushing dog

Would like one to flush birds out. All the pictures are so wonderful. As far as size we had a large dog before. We let them in the house and I am sure they would end up on my kids' beds. We had a Samoyed and he was just too big for sleeping with or laying on the couch. Does the Munsterlander flush or retrieve? He looks nice.

dlhoward

My situation

Here is my situation. We live on 60 acres so the dog can roam but will have a dog pen for when we are gone. We have a pond. Will have dog in house to be with us. Have 2 cats so want one that will get along with them. Would like to stay away from a large size dog, one that drools, one that won't jump in pond everyday, good with kids, not hyper and will flush out birds. Wife is home during the day so dog will not be penned up all day but will be while we are gone. Our Samoyed dug up everything in our yard and ran off at every chance but we lived in the city when we had him. Now live in the country. There are deer and other dogs around also. I think I would prefer a male but what is everyone elses take on sex?

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Both spaniels I posted do both. They will flush and retrieve. Click on the links I posted it will tell you more about the breeds. I feel either one would be a good choice for you:)
Sex is a matter of preference.

Members online

No members online now.