How long did it take before your first agility competition?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Frag was training for about 10 months before our first competition. He didn't Q though, because he's a bar dropper, and he didn't enjoy it enough to make me stick with it.

Recon started classes around 4 months old, and we bumped his jumps up to 20" at a year and started trialing at 14 mos, I believe? So that was about 10 months as well.
What org. allows dogs to trial that young? AKC is 15 months and USDAA i'm pretty sure is 18 months...

k9krazee

I think I was in class with Jack a year and a half before his first trial.

Crossbone learned the obstacles a year ago, started actually doing sequences in September and had his first trial in December and so far he's Q'd in 14 out of 15. We've been doing weekly classes and bi-monthly privates and practice at the park/in the yard when it's nice. And foundations always.

BostonBanker

Meg trained for about 18 months before her first trial, I believe. I think she was in a pretty good spot to start trialing as far as her training and mental skills went.

Gusto was another who was in "training" from day one pretty much; he was in Performance Puppy classes from probably 4.5 months on up until he started in an actual agility class. He debuted at about 18 or 19 months. Skill wise, I think he was ready. I wish someone had helped me figure out earlier that the issues he did have were stress related. It would have saved us a little trouble. But we live and learn. We've worked (mostly) past that by now, and he made it into the masters level classes in about 14 months of limited trialling.

Members online

No members online now.