Finally, I put Pudge to sleep.

Yeah, I know it sucks. But I think it was for the better. It's a real hassle to try to do things I need to do on the computer and not knowing what he's doing running around the house unsupervised...I really had no choice. Plus if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to be typing this right now....at least not without having to cleanup some poop in a few minutes. I really feel sorry for him though, I mean I hate to do it so early.... :( .

Anyways, while he's sleeping I thought I would tell you a funny story relating to sleep that I didn't get...but you can laugh at my expense because I sure did...and hopefully I can get this all out and put myself to sleep soon too, before Pudges wakes up!

Last Wednesday I spent most of the night cleaning my carpet and room to hopefully kill the fleas that were probably in my carpet. I kept Pudge outside so he wouldn't be in any danger or get in the way. Unfortunately, I had to be up at about 5:30 am to go to work, so I didn't have time to play with him that much but I went outside to see him right before I went to bed at about 12:30am.
I was just getting to sleep when I heard some strange beeping sounds followed this horrendous Screechiing sound followed by a howl of confusion or agony.
I thought maybe my roommates had opened the backdoor or something and surely it would stop in a few minutes...I waited and I all I heard was and ear-splitting
ScreeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee... followed by a Chorus of ARRoooooOOOOOOOO Yelp bark yelp whine!
Finally, I realized what had happened. Apparentely I had forgotten to lock the Back door after I checked on Pudge the last time and 2 hours later he decided to knock open the door and see where I was. Of course this set off the alarm.
I finally dragged by butt out of bed (it was 2:30 am at this point) and ran upstairs to turn off the alarm, but not before the phone started ringing off the hook. I answered and sure enough it was the alarm company calling to ask for the password. I quickly gave the password and ran over to shut off the alarm because I couldn't stand it!!
Unfortunately, when I did that it disconnected the phone so I had to go back downstairs, find my cel phone, go look at the number ont he alarm pad and call them back to tell them it was a false alarm so the cops wouldn't be knocking on my door at 3am in the morning!!
After I did that I decided to let Pudge sleep in my room with me since he had gone through so much trouble to break in and wake me up.

Even though I supposed to make him sleep in his crate every night I decided it was too late to drag the crate back into my room (since I dragged it out to clean the carpet) and I would just let him sleep under my bed like he used to, before I started crate-training him. The strange thing is he walked into my room and started pacing and whining in the area where his crate used to be. I was amazed! It seems he actually has adapted to his crate being his secure and safe little den! He really didn't seem to want to sleep without the crate at least occupying the big empty void that was now my room.

So I dragged my ass out of bed again and went out to get the crate. Once Pudge saw the crate he immediately started looking for the door, which was blocked by an odd assembled array of buckets, paint brushes and other basement junk. Even with all this stuff blocking his way he managed to get to the door and tried to get in! When I started moving the crate he moved back but as soon I cleared it of the junk he ran back to jump in the open door as I was draggin it backwards to my room. He got in and sat down, obviously enjoying the ride and adding 20 pounds to my load.

So finally, I get the thing inside my room and he goes sound asleep. I get back in my bed and it's about 2:45am. Hooray, 3 more of hours of sleep!

Still, I couldn't help but smile with pride and the humour of whole situation. Even though I hate to lose sleep, I'm really proud that my puppy is making so much progress with his crate draining that he doesn't feel comfortable being in my room without it!

P.s.
That is the last reason I put him to sleep so early...now I need to get myself to bed.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I was about to say...you had him PTS because he was pooping too much? :confused: Then I re-read and "got it" and boo for alarm awakenings and yay for crate training!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
OMGOSH!!!!!! You REALLY had me I was like WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!! :yikes:

Intill I read the end!!!! You Meanie!!!!!!!!!! :p

If you'd had him - as you led us to believe (shame on you :eek: ) put down I was prepared to let the members flame you as much as they cared to, lol!

That was really, really, really a bad trick to play on us . . . but you told the story well ;)

L

LabBreeder

Scared the poop outta me as well! :eek: I thought the poor pup had been pts for good cause of pooping! ::yikes::
Funny story though...and a great way of getting attention in the beginning!

If you'd had him - as you led us to believe (shame on you :eek: ) put down I was prepared to let the members flame you as much as they cared to, lol!

That was really, really, really a bad trick to play on us . . . but you told the story well ;)
Yeah, I guess that a rather naughty prank...Sorry to scare everyone like that:(
I guess that's just part of my twisted sense of humour...trying to use the ole Shock and relief attention grabber. Honestly though, the phrase "put to sleep" has always been one of my pet peeves,taking an innocent word like sleep and turning it into the end all be all for puppies,(I mean c'mon sleep is a good thing for a puppy)..I think it should be called "put to death" or something...so there won't be any possible confusion

Anyways, just to let everyone know, I would NEVER, Ever but my wonderful Pudges down, or put him to eternal sleep...he's too awesome of a puppy! Heck, I would rather repurchase the $2,000 worth of carpeting then put him to sleep for a silly reason like that.

As a matter of fact, I've been reading some stories lately where people just give up on their dogs and decide the only alternative is to put them to sleep...and it pisses me off to no end! I hate how we live in such a throwaway society where if he's something is inconvienent someone is all to quick to just kill it off without even trying to resolve the problem in a manner that didn't end a life. I read a story recently about someone who was going to put their terrier to sleep just because he barked at the phone whenever it rang! What the...:mad: !??! Fortunately a vet/animal behaviourist managed to consult the owner on how to "desensitise" him and train him to be a well-behaved dog. Btw, the book with this and other dog stories is called "The Dog Who Loved Too Much" and it's got a great collection of true dog stories that are entertaining and provide a moral and a few lessons on training dogs too! I really reccomend it, although I was schocked at how many people hastily decided that putting a dog to sleep was the only solution to his behavioural problems.

Members online