2 meals a day ok for puppy?

tinksmama

Tink is 15 weeks, and about 4 1/2 pounds... I'm starting to feed her 2x a day now, instead of 3....she's fussy,and never finishes her kibble unless i mix in a little treat,like canned,or something,which I've done, b/c she was so tiny, I didn't want her getting sick on a hunger strike...but...now she's getting bigger,and more stubborn:rolleyes: I've been giving her 2 meals of kibble a day, bigger than the 3, she still doesn't finish mostly- will she get sick?
A friend told me b/c she's small, I have to feed her more, and hand feed her to make her eat...but I don't want to spoil her more than I have...:eek:
So yesterday, I fed her 3 times,and mixed in a bit of canned to make sure she'd eat,and..she got gassy! that was about it!(same foods)
And when she was on just the 2 for almost a week, she gained no weight,she might even have lost an ounce or 2...advice?
I also use bits of her kibble for training treats in the course of the day- when they're 'treats' she likes them!
just b/c also, as she gets a little older, it would be nice not to have to rush home at noon for lunch... gives me a little extra time some days...

I think that you need to make a choice between Kibble or canned food, or the mix...........then stick to just the one way of feeding her.
Once you have done that i would suggest feeding her 3-4 meals a day.
Leave the food down for no more than 20 minutes.......if she has left any then remove it.
Don't give her any more "Dinner" until her next meal time.
She will soon get used to the fact that if she doesn't eat it all at once then she won't get anymore for a while..........hopefully she will then learn to clear her bowl :D

PS: She won't starve herself........a dog never will :)

Loviedovie

I was wondering the same thing. My Lovie (6lb 3month old shih tzu is on 1/4 cup 2 x's a day). dry only now dampened with water. She gobbles it up "usually". Should she start feeding more?

tinksmama

Well, tink was getting fed 3x a day,and I'm looking to do it only 2x- if your little one was ok and growing fine on only 2, then I'd think(?) Tink would be ok on 2x a day also..
haven't changed any food, she's had the canned stuff for 2 months mixed in, and I had stopped it,come to think of it, that's when her gas wasn't so bad either...hmmm, there's another reason not to mix in...:cool:
there's no way I'm feeding her 4 times a day, I have other things to do than try to coerce her into eating... just wondering healthwise if she'd be ok, I do remember with my older, larger(35 lb) dog starting on 2x a day at this age...
When I did it 2x a day for a week, she gained nothing,like I said, is this ok at this age? ...not starving herself...but looking sort of thinner,(she never was plump looking,even at 7 weeks)
Plus old dog LOVES to steal leftover puppy kibble:eek: and she sure doesn't need any extra calories...:rolleyes: so I can't leave food out for more than 10 mins or so at feed time, usually Tink's disinterested within about 3 minutes....

Roxy's CD

My guys are now getting canned mixed with kibble. Being gassy and getting diarrhea are totally normal.

Roxy is extremely picky and would only "munch" on kibble throughout the day, they were free fed. When the time arose that they had to go onto a schedule, I chose to mix their kibble and canned. Their on a schedule now and they both *love* the canned.

I'd be feeding a 4 month old, probably three times a day still though. Maybe, make the middle meal, smaller, and the two other meals larger... So your kind of phasing out that middle meal, and it's just a snack. By 6 months she should be fine on two meals a day.

Do you have any pics to post of her, so we could see what she looks like weight wise?

Edit: When I tried putting Roxy on the schedule with just kibble a few months back she didn't eat anything for a week! Mixing a bit of canned gives them extra moisture plus it tastes good! There are some dogs that are just really picky, my princess for example. I imagine that she would've eaten eventually, but after a week of not eating, AT ALL, just water I gave in.

Tinkasmama.......If she is happy and healthy on 2 meals a day then go for it :)

Lovie........I usually follow the feeding guides and feed a little more or less than they state, depending on the level of activity of the dog :)
If you think she needs more then a little wouldn't do any harm :)

tinksmama

Thanks you guys... I wish I knew how to post a picture...I'm a bit slow here...:D I did it once, and can't remember how...
Think a phase out of the mid meal might work ok for us... ooohh,gassy pups...what a scent! and your guys are big! even more scent!:eek: just wanted to ask around,as many opinions help me to think straight sometimes-:)

Roxy's CD

LMAO. Yuppers, the first couple days, I think fart smell was embedded in my clothes and hair! :eek: LMAO

They've stopped tuting now and Roxy's poop was a bit firmer today. I think you can expect some tutes and runny poops for the first couple of days.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
that young would have to be 3 times a day. You might try a break of the dog food, cook up some hamburger and rice, give the intestines a good break then gently reintroduce. Make sure you drain all fat off the hamburger before you mix it with the rice. There could be a funky bacteria in there that is causing the flatulance.

Members online