Off on the wrong foot

garyluer

Gentle Ben
tessa_s212 said:
garyluer, I notice that you seem appalled that she may say such a thing.

Can words cause harm to a dog? MOST CERTAINLY. Back when I still used "traditional" trainign methods(choke chains, corrections, and ignorance), I did cause "harm" to a dog with simply words. This dog was not owned by me. She is owned by my dog training instructors. They rescued her from the local shelter. It wasonly evident that she had been abused and beaten. When I first started trainign her in agility using my old ways, I'd get angry at her and yell(or use "harsh words") Soon, she started to defensively bite me, and she was very scared. I lost ALL trust. (Sad beginning, but now that I train with positive reinforcement she has done a complete "u" turn! And most importantly, she trusts me again. We have bonded, and she trusts me. It is an amazing feeling to have people compliment about how they can just tell by watching us train and play that we have a great bond-specifically after the first very hard few months that I had lost her trust.)
My guess is whoever beat her used "harsh" words when he/she did it and that's probably why she reacted the way she did - associating those "harsh" words with beatings. A firm "NO" is ample to get the point across is what I'm suggesting.

T

tessa_s212

Okay. Yes, I see.

(And something that you may find out about me, is that I rarely EVER physically correct my dogs for anything anymore. I am not a good enough trainer to know when my dog is deliberately not listening, or when it is my fault.. Most of the time it is my fault, and I cannot let myself punish a dog for that. Though I don't physically correct my dog, I do *communicate with them by using a sound such as "ah-ah" to say that they are not doing what I asked. They then try again, and if they do what I wanted, they get a treat(or anyother reinforcer). )

garyluer

Gentle Ben
tessa_s212 said:
Okay. Yes, I see.

(And something that you may find out about me, is that I rarely EVER physically correct my dogs for anything anymore. I am not a good enough trainer to know when my dog is deliberately not listening, or when it is my fault.. Most of the time it is my fault, and I cannot let myself punish a dog for that. Though I don't physically correct my dog, I do *communicate with them by using a sound such as "ah-ah" to say that they are not doing what I asked. They then try again, and if they do what I wanted, they get a treat(or anyother reinforcer). )
There ya go! Exactly what I'm talking about. That's all that should be needed. We're on the same page here.

As to Ebony's comments - I thought she was being a tad sarcastic is all and if she wasn't, my apologies.

Julie

I am back again.
garyluer said:
There ya go! Exactly what I'm talking about. That's all that should be needed. We're on the same page here.

As to Ebony's comments - I thought she was being a tad sarcastic is all and if she wasn't, my apologies.
I think Ebony was just being "13". Sometimes its helpful to view the public profiles. Just take them all with a grain of salt. lol

amymarley

When it comes to dogs, or any other type of animal....then you must define "being physical." No, I would not hit, kick, punch my dog for him/her to submit. I would never break their will. But, in my own training methods, I use the most humane, FUN, educational, brain stimuli that I can do. BUT, I do incorporate training to fit each animal.... like if I am training a dog, I become the pack leader, parrots...part of the flock, monkeys...part of the troop, big cats (lions)....part of the pride, and etc... I know it takes a lot to learn animal behavior, but do some research on canine/pack behavior, talk to some trainers, even just over the phone...and then find where you feel comfortable. Yes, you will prob. get several different answers to a lot of questions, but the basics should all be the same. Yes, I could give tons of animal training advice, but I became a mom 2 years ago and I feel sooooo lost. Anyway one want to help me here....haha! There is NO one book, or trainer who has all the answers, since dogs and animals have different personalities just like people. Different fears, aggression, and all that. Just love your dog, do as much research as you can and find the common ground that fits you and your dog.
Amy

Ebony923

animalbiz said:
When it comes to dogs, or any other type of animal....then you must define "being physical." No, I would not hit, kick, punch my dog for him/her to submit. I would never break their will. But, in my own training methods, I use the most humane, FUN, educational, brain stimuli that I can do. BUT, I do incorporate training to fit each animal.... like if I am training a dog, I become the pack leader, parrots...part of the flock, monkeys...part of the troop, big cats (lions)....part of the pride, and etc... I know it takes a lot to learn animal behavior, but do some research on canine/pack behavior, talk to some trainers, even just over the phone...and then find where you feel comfortable. Yes, you will prob. get several different answers to a lot of questions, but the basics should all be the same. Yes, I could give tons of animal training advice, but I became a mom 2 years ago and I feel sooooo lost. Anyway one want to help me here....haha! There is NO one book, or trainer who has all the answers, since dogs and animals have different personalities just like people. Different fears, aggression, and all that. Just love your dog, do as much research as you can and find the common ground that fits you and your dog.
Amy
yes i agree dogs do have different personalities. In agaility i train my lab Ebony, a mali, Trad, and a cocker, (lil) Ebony trad and(lil) Ebony are my trainers ne ways i'll get to the point (lil) Ebony is one of those dogs that if you yell or say harsh words or correct her than she'll frezze up and wont do any thing for you but ebony and trad their a different story if you yell/harsh words/correct them they will work better for you after words and will learn from it. So i agree with you :)

Beauceron

I know this isn't a training debate, however I love Prongs, Chokes, and even Shock Collars, when used properly. Should people use them all the time? NO! My Beauceron, Haunter is a high drive Schutzhund dog, when he's biting someone, and won't release the sleeve, he needs to be corrected, even if he is working 100 yards away from me.

T

tessa_s212

I would never go as far as to say that I love aversive methods, but when used properly, I cannot stand against them. I will say, that when using aversive methods, you will have a much harder time getting a confident, happy dog that is having fun while complying with your commands.

PFC1

Ebony923 said:
Choke chains yes prongs no shocks maybe. Just my opion.
Just my opinion, but I would say: "Choke chains no (unless you really know what your doing), pinch collars no (unless you really know what your doing) flat collars no (unless you really know what your doing) and shock collars no (unless you know what you are doing.)" All of these have their downsides, and can all cause injury if not used properly. Of course, you have to use something. So, the moral, I think, is get all of the facts, learn how to properly use something, and then accept that different people can get good results using other means. Of the 4, I would say the pinch collar probably is the easiest to learn how to get the desired result without risk of serious injury (serious, being the key word), but I am no expert.

For what its worth, I like to call the shock collar the "petricutor." Just my dark since of humor, though. I am not dead-set against them.

I had to test a shock collar the other day to make sure it was working and ya know, it really doesn't hurt. It is startling and unpleasant but hurt....no. So...I guess knowing that, I am not so against them. Would only use them if all else failed, though.

Pam

Rhino

tessa_s212 said:
garyluer, although I am a big advocater of positive reinforcement, saying that these training tools is out right unhumane, is incorrect. When used properly they can make wonderful, effective training tools. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that I'd ever want to use an e-collar on my dogs, but I certainly cannot be prejudic against others so long as they have tried more positive methods before this and they have not worked. I will reiterate. I don't believe using these training tools equals abusing your dog, but it should be a last resort. If positive reinforcement and other methods do not work, I see no problem with a person using this tool properly to train the dog. I'd rather the dog get a "shock"(more like a tingling vibration), than it run off on its owner and get hit by a car.

I will also say that I do not advocate teacing basic obedience with this tool. There are better ways to teach basic obedience such as sit, down, or stay, but things such as off leash recalls, this tool can be effective and safe.
I agree.

I'm also a trainer, with a broad range of experience, and I do believe these TOOLS have their time and place. Using them when not appropriate is what constitutes cruelty, and I believe it takes a professional to be able to diagnose a cause when they would be appropriate.

I don't use them in my every day training, nor do I suggest others use them, however, I have been privy to seeing them be successful. I have also used them in rare circumstances with much success myself.

Members online

No members online now.