pitbulls and paroless

Lyzelle

I live somewhat near her. I have seen the facility myself, but never met her. My best in-real-life dog friend went down there and met her and she was quite nasty to them. Saying things similar to what I said and talking a lot of trash about Louisiana and the people in it. My friend was a HUGE fan of hers before she went down there to meet her... Now, not so much.
Honestly, I can understand her attitude. I've been in the south, lived there, and there's a lot of faux "nice" people who turn around and gossip once they've got the inside story. You have no privacy. Everyone is constantly in your business. It's a culture shock from the other areas of the US. On top of the show and her publicity from it. I can imagine having people stop by when you're trying to get things done aren't helpful, either. Especially when a lot of people only want to chat, not actually do anything productive.

That is a lot of dogs, lot of budgeting. On top of everything else in her life. People don't have to like it, but I can certainly understand it. Donations and adopting a dog are really the only things that ACTUALLY help. Fundraisers aren't always helpful, especially when they can cost more to set up in time and money than what they bring in.

Barbara!

My thing is, she is portraying a breed that is already seen as vicious and nasty. She doesn't need to enforce that stereotype by being vicious and nasty herself.

Lyzelle

My thing is, she is portraying a breed that is already seen as vicious and nasty. She doesn't need to enforce that stereotype by being vicious and nasty herself.
Just because she's not sunshine and butterflies, it doesn't mean she's vicious and nasty. Again, culture shock. Very different ideas of "rude" and "polite".

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Just because she's not sunshine and butterflies, it doesn't mean she's vicious and nasty. Again, culture shock. Very different ideas of "rude" and "polite".
Naw, she's very rude. Most of us have watched her for a long time. She treats her volunteers just as rough. She's most definitely overwhelmed but the clear solution is to not become another spindle top, step back, collect, and deal with what's on hand.

She warehouses dogs which wouldn't bother me that much but they live in kennels in a warehouse, literally. She has too many dogs, turns away helpers with a harsh word, and does not graciously accept assistance.

Do I think she does right by the dogs? She tries. I've donated plenty of gear and time to them before, but like I said its not smoothly and carefully run. Mistakes happen but the fact they are repeated and her choices are questionable at best make me very uncomfortable with her being any sort of "face" for the breed.

milos_mommy

Adrianne said it perfectly. I don't think she's a bad person or running a horrible operation, what she is doing is probably better than nothing most of the time.

But I sure as heck wouldn't be picking her of all people to try and help give pit bulls OR parolees a positive image.

Barbara!

Telling fans to "f*ck off" and getting pissed off because not everyone flocked to help you when Isaac flooded entire counties doesn't have anything to do with culture shock...it has everything to do with she is just downright rude. When Isaac flooded her, she had helpers, but she didn't understand why EVERYONE didn't come to help her. (Because they couldn't have been having issues with their own houses being underwater...no way!) She then began to trash talk Louisiana and the people that live here because not everyone in the world came to help her.

Tazwell

I LOVE the show!

Eta: if you like Villalobos's Facebook page, instead of pit bull and parolees' page, you get a lot of insight into what goes on outside of the show, too.

Miakoda

I won't watch it nor will I support her. I live in Louisiana (an hour from her), and I've been in the "pit bull" world for almost 14 years. I know too much, I suppose you could say.

The best thing that could happen is that whole operation be shut down. The nicest thing I could say about it is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I won't watch it nor will I support her. I live in Louisiana (an hour from her), and I've been in the "pit bull" world for almost 14 years. I know too much, I suppose you could say.

The best thing that could happen is that whole operation be shut down. The nicest thing I could say about it is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".
I was wondering how you felt. I trust your judgment and was going to pm you , but ya beat me here. lol
I was watching more and the more I watch , i just feel uneasy.

I wish I could find a good local rescue. Not just batshit crazy ones. ugg

Miakoda

I was wondering how you felt. I trust your judgment and was going to pm you , but ya beat me here. lol
I was watching more and the more I watch , i just feel uneasy.

I wish I could find a good local rescue. Not just batshit crazy ones. ugg
Get in touch with Winter Morvant from The Pit Krewe. They're the ones who also publish the "Pistons, Pinups, and Pit Bulls" calendar. :)

Adrianne, I haven't been by her way in a long while. I know "whoops" fights weren't uncommon from dumping two or more dogs into a yard space. But I know that the dogs spend an awful lot of time being "happy to be alive" cooped up in wire crates (yes, that's sarcasm there ).

Miakoda

From what I understand a lot of people are uncomfortable with just how little use those yards get. :-/
I don't think she has the time or the needed number of helpers to even give the dogs the desirable amount of attention they need. Unless you're handing over a check, with no questions asked or comments said, you're pretty much not welcome. I think she's so overwhelmed, and there's more going on than most will ever know.

This is hearsay, but I've heard of numerous dogs being purposefully "adopted" out and then bred (specifically the big bully-style mutts).

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'm not sure about breeding but I know for a fact several good hearted and hard working rescue friends have been really pushed around by her. They caravaned for her from CA to LA and were treated badly then, they brushed it off as stress and went to help again during one of the storms/settling in but again they were treated like crap.

Then a friend was collecting kennels which I donated 3 to and got them returned with a nasty response along the lines of don't you know pit bulls need big kennels and not these small things? I turned around and redonated them to a local rescue who sold two and kept one for puppy transports, they were very gracious.

Meh, a bit of decorum goes a long way. It's hard to stay civil and keep your friends & help when you're drowning but its easier to stay afloat when you have help.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
also food drives are also good, since they are nearer to me (the LA branch that is) i could do something to help. but i imagine the money she gets from AP for the show helps too, as well as the PR it gets. just think if everyone who watched the show sent in a bag of decent food, imagine how what would help! :)

I like the lady, she is much like many animal rescuers that i have known over the years, she seems to me like a tough (you have to have some degree of toughness when doing rescue work, you have to steal youself tgainst the fact that you cant help every dog or person) but deep ddown she seems to me like a down to earth, kind hearted, giving person who wants to help anyone & any dog any way she can (but in charity work you have to kinda hide that or else ppl will take advantage of that nature).

i think she has two locationss now, one in california or NM or somewhere like that that houses the "lifers" as she calls, them, dogs who arent adoptable but arent PTS worthy. I also like how she tells it like it is, like in season one with that lady who had that blue dog who was really aggressive, how they helped her fortify the emclosure he was staying in, even though Tia said that it really wasnt fair for the dog to have to live like that, she then went onto advocate the importance of ethical breeding & what happens when a dog is porrly bred (i think she got him from a flea market or petstore or something like that).

my horse shoer also rescues pits & she said a that in all her years of rescuing, she only had a few that were severly DA, but she also never keeps them out unsupervised tho.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I just dont know . I am going to just bring some treats one day next week and see what is what .

I looked up the other group Miakoda and will get with them also .

thanks ya'll for the responses , i do appreciate them.

What is done with the lifers? I can not find anything on them on the web . I think that will be the telling point with me. I can not abide keeping them alive just because they are a pit and breathing. quality of life is so important.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
dont know but all that stuff i read on wikipedia (now dont know how true it is, I'm just puttin it out there as all know how wiki can be) no i dont know her on a personal level, i do remember in season one they did have this guy who was goof with the dogs sho tried to spend time with aall the dogs in his care (playing with them & interacting with them while he cleaned their cages) & Mondo mentioned how he didnt like it because he was having "tea & cookies" with every dog & they "didnt have time for that" i was like WTF???

also i see lots of dogs with behavorial probs (pulling, jumping etc) & i think with a little training on how to handle it, the parolees could better ready the dogs for adoption, Tia said herself when someone is interested in a dog that "we'd better get so n' so to the trainer to work on said behavioral issue" excuse me but isnt that past the time to worry about that?

Barbara!

Thank you.

She has left quite a nasty impression on all the locals. Doesn't she realize all Louisianians know each other? Lol.

Members online

No members online now.